Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cranky Dog

Translucent bones. A problem or an opportunity?

80 posts in this topic

From the KS2 thread.

...also I don't see the point of making translucent minis since they need to be painted...

There's a bit of a catch 21 situation with the translucent bones.

- Translucent can give very interesting lighting effects. But the details are hard to see.

- You add paint/washes/inks to get more details, but you lose the translucent effects.

So how do people handle them?

Overall, is it worth it to get translucent minis? (good or not, I bought them all in both KS1 and KS2... because minis)

I love the translucent minis. I feel absolutely no obligation to paint most of them at all. Maybe wash some of them a little but otherwise they are fine the way they are.

As it is I use the smallest of the ghostly green minis to represent dead players, since they exist as spirits for a time after death.

The purple ones are AWESOME!! OMG. Thrown on a heavy body black wash and seal them. DONE.

The blue water/ice elementals are about the same. A quick wash, seal, and they're read to rock.

3 people like this

I love them, and I go out of my way to get them. Partly because it lets me do things that I couldn't do with the metal versions.

The way I handle them depends on what I want to achieve. For example for the green ghosts I used a bit of matte medium and some field grey to wash over the smoke bits to set them off from the less heavily painted ghosts.

for the fire minis I painted the bottom sides of the minis with yellows and the translucent material lets it get a nice glow from the yellow on the opposite side of the mini.

I can not wait for the Ice/water minis because I have this bottle of french blue just waiting for them. The paint is low opacity to begin with, and I think will look great on the Ice elemental.

Purple I want that shadow demon, but I probably will wait till retail for him.

Then there's the gelatinous cube. I don't think I'll paint it at all, and just let it's victims/base shine through.

3 people like this

I haven't painted any yet, but the solution to the dilemma seems obvious: paint parts and leave other parts clear. l also don't imagine that washes would necessarily cause the minis to lose their transparency.

1 person likes this

I've done some dry brushing on one of my haunts.. I haven't had much success with a wash yet.. but I haven't spent much time on them

They're made of different plastic than Bonseium so prep is a little different. It might as well be teflon (non-stick). You gotta 'prime' them with some sort of clear coat so the paint has something to adhear to.

1 person likes this

Keep in mind that Bones are targeted towards a "ready to use out of the package" market, so many people may be using them as-is. From that approach, having a "themed" color for the Bones is a bonus (and extra selling point).

For those who paint them, it might not matter if they were "normal" Bones or tranlucent ones (depending on how much paint you apply). From that approach, you can probably ignore the fact that they're translucent altogether.

5 people like this

I haven't used mine yet, but have started painting them. I don't see any loss of translucency.

That being said...

AWWWWWWYYYYEEEEEEAAAH!!! TRANSLUCENT PURPLE SHADOW MONSTERS!!!!

7 people like this

The translucents last KS sold me on the KS, but I still paint over them anyway (4 walls of fire currently on the table).

Basically, for me I love the idea of them but in practice I seek greater uniformity in display. So while being translucent is a selling point, I still paint over them. Note that I also think that translucency is good overall because even if I paint mine, if we turn out to need more spell effects/markers whatever then other people can buy some and just toss the bag in with the other terrain and they'll be good to go.

Overall, the translucents revealed thus far are, IMO, ace minis - regardless of the eventual fate of what goes on my shelf. They're "good either way minis", which makes them the most versatile.

I will not, of course, be painting the jelly cube's exterior. Just the melted people bit on the base.

2 people like this

I'll update this later with a link to the existing thread with examples, but I've gotten good results using the Tamiya Clear range of transparent paints and inks. Washes tend to make the translucency quite patchy and I wouldn't recommend them if you're planning on keeping the figure translucent.

I looooove the translucency of them, and plan to do only very light drybrushing or thin washes to preserve as much of that as possible. And the fact that they're a) already colored, and b) translucent means that those were the first ones that our players spotted, and ooo'd and aaaah'd over. I'm getting all the translucents in this KS, and now I think I might have to add Expansion #2 back on. Because TRANSLUCENT PURPLE SHADOWS AAAAAAAAHH.

*ahem* More seriously, Magnus Mercury makes a good point that Bones are aimed more at a gaming audience (buy it and start using it immediately) than a hobby audience (buy it, paint it, and if it's not a display piece, then start using it). The translucent minis are already colored and cool-looking right out of the package, whereas the other Bones are white and can be hard to distinguish when there's a lot of them on the board (speaking from experience).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I would love to see a 2" long wall of fire like the ones in darkmyre.

I'm willing to try on mine some transparent ink for washes to see the details while keeping the transparency.

Edited by Cranky Dog

Righty.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51660-painting-bones-ghosts-and-elementals/?p=775015 is a discussion we has on painting ghosts and elementals.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49165-laokes-bones-an-ongoing-journal-of-how-not-to-do-it-painting/?p=778920 is the result. So,for me, definitely an opportunity although I've still got to learn how to use these paints correctly.