Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cranky Dog

Translucent bones. A problem or an opportunity?

80 posts in this topic

From the KS2 thread.

...also I don't see the point of making translucent minis since they need to be painted...

There's a bit of a catch 21 situation with the translucent bones.

- Translucent can give very interesting lighting effects. But the details are hard to see.

- You add paint/washes/inks to get more details, but you lose the translucent effects.

So how do people handle them?

Overall, is it worth it to get translucent minis? (good or not, I bought them all in both KS1 and KS2... because minis)

I love the translucent minis. I feel absolutely no obligation to paint most of them at all. Maybe wash some of them a little but otherwise they are fine the way they are.

As it is I use the smallest of the ghostly green minis to represent dead players, since they exist as spirits for a time after death.

The purple ones are AWESOME!! OMG. Thrown on a heavy body black wash and seal them. DONE.

The blue water/ice elementals are about the same. A quick wash, seal, and they're read to rock.

3 people like this

I love them, and I go out of my way to get them. Partly because it lets me do things that I couldn't do with the metal versions.

The way I handle them depends on what I want to achieve. For example for the green ghosts I used a bit of matte medium and some field grey to wash over the smoke bits to set them off from the less heavily painted ghosts.

for the fire minis I painted the bottom sides of the minis with yellows and the translucent material lets it get a nice glow from the yellow on the opposite side of the mini.

I can not wait for the Ice/water minis because I have this bottle of french blue just waiting for them. The paint is low opacity to begin with, and I think will look great on the Ice elemental.

Purple I want that shadow demon, but I probably will wait till retail for him.

Then there's the gelatinous cube. I don't think I'll paint it at all, and just let it's victims/base shine through.

3 people like this

I haven't painted any yet, but the solution to the dilemma seems obvious: paint parts and leave other parts clear. l also don't imagine that washes would necessarily cause the minis to lose their transparency.

1 person likes this

I've done some dry brushing on one of my haunts.. I haven't had much success with a wash yet.. but I haven't spent much time on them

They're made of different plastic than Bonseium so prep is a little different. It might as well be teflon (non-stick). You gotta 'prime' them with some sort of clear coat so the paint has something to adhear to.

1 person likes this

Keep in mind that Bones are targeted towards a "ready to use out of the package" market, so many people may be using them as-is. From that approach, having a "themed" color for the Bones is a bonus (and extra selling point).

For those who paint them, it might not matter if they were "normal" Bones or tranlucent ones (depending on how much paint you apply). From that approach, you can probably ignore the fact that they're translucent altogether.

5 people like this

I haven't used mine yet, but have started painting them. I don't see any loss of translucency.

That being said...

AWWWWWWYYYYEEEEEEAAAH!!! TRANSLUCENT PURPLE SHADOW MONSTERS!!!!

7 people like this

The translucents last KS sold me on the KS, but I still paint over them anyway (4 walls of fire currently on the table).

Basically, for me I love the idea of them but in practice I seek greater uniformity in display. So while being translucent is a selling point, I still paint over them. Note that I also think that translucency is good overall because even if I paint mine, if we turn out to need more spell effects/markers whatever then other people can buy some and just toss the bag in with the other terrain and they'll be good to go.

Overall, the translucents revealed thus far are, IMO, ace minis - regardless of the eventual fate of what goes on my shelf. They're "good either way minis", which makes them the most versatile.

I will not, of course, be painting the jelly cube's exterior. Just the melted people bit on the base.

2 people like this

I'll update this later with a link to the existing thread with examples, but I've gotten good results using the Tamiya Clear range of transparent paints and inks. Washes tend to make the translucency quite patchy and I wouldn't recommend them if you're planning on keeping the figure translucent.

I looooove the translucency of them, and plan to do only very light drybrushing or thin washes to preserve as much of that as possible. And the fact that they're a) already colored, and b) translucent means that those were the first ones that our players spotted, and ooo'd and aaaah'd over. I'm getting all the translucents in this KS, and now I think I might have to add Expansion #2 back on. Because TRANSLUCENT PURPLE SHADOWS AAAAAAAAHH.

*ahem* More seriously, Magnus Mercury makes a good point that Bones are aimed more at a gaming audience (buy it and start using it immediately) than a hobby audience (buy it, paint it, and if it's not a display piece, then start using it). The translucent minis are already colored and cool-looking right out of the package, whereas the other Bones are white and can be hard to distinguish when there's a lot of them on the board (speaking from experience).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I would love to see a 2" long wall of fire like the ones in darkmyre.

I'm willing to try on mine some transparent ink for washes to see the details while keeping the transparency.

Edited by Cranky Dog

Righty.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51660-painting-bones-ghosts-and-elementals/?p=775015 is a discussion we has on painting ghosts and elementals.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49165-laokes-bones-an-ongoing-journal-of-how-not-to-do-it-painting/?p=778920 is the result. So,for me, definitely an opportunity although I've still got to learn how to use these paints correctly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      In the third Bones kickstarter, one of the dragons was made available in clear Bones material, in addition to the normal offwhite the Bones usually come in. Naturally, I opted for the clear one.
      Reiterating how to paint translucent minis:
      Clearly, it is nessecary to use paints that in themselves are translucent, such as inks or quickshades to preserve some of the dragon’s own translucency or it will all be for nought!
      From bitter experience I know that the usual opaque paints will *not* work if you want any sort of translucent effect, even if they are thinned considerably. Many acrylic paints such as I use, (e.g. Citadel, Vallejo, Army Painter, Reaper,  Scale 75 etc) will cover in a certain way which obscures the translucency, also when thinned. Some will leave a “chalky” look. This is mostly apparent in pale and whitish paints.
      So anyway:

The key to painting a transparent mini is first to scrub it in warm, soapy water to remove any mold release residue (silicon, talc or whatever. It is greasy and stops the paint from sticking properly to the mini.) The plastic/resin is in itself also somewhat paint repellent on it’s own, so:
      When dry, undercoat it with clear, (preferably matte) varnish. This lets the paint adhere to the mini just like a normal opaque undercoat.
      Then, knock yourself out with inks or quickshades. Experiment with several layers and different colours, even wet blending as you go. Take care to remove any unwanted pools of paint that might gather. I use a clean, damp brush for this.
      Opaque paints should be kept only for extremely light highlighting and any bits that are to be opqaque, such as the base, or for effects such as making eyes pop.
      I used Army Painter Soft Tone quickshade ink (the water based stuff that comes in a dropperbottle, not the horrendous and smelly dip that goes by the same name). In additon I used Army Painter Green quickshade, with claws and eyesockets in Red quickshade. Eyeballs were done in old Citadel Golden Yellow, and the entire body was given an extremely light drybrush with  Reaper Dirty Bone on a broad brush. The teeth were picked out in the same dirty bone.
      The bedrock was glued down to one of my custom oval 3Dprinted bases, and painted in opaques in the same way as I do most rock these days: Dark green/grey over black, heavy drybrush in sandy yellow followed by a lighter drybrush with off white.
      Some tufts, thinned pva glue and my magic flock /scatter mix later, voila.
      I kept the dragon and the base as two seperate parts when painting to avoid slopping the wrong kind of paint where it was not meant to go. I even remembered to paint the plugs on the underside of the feet that were to be in contact with the base to avoid ugly bright patches there.

I opted for a relatively heavy stain.
      To make the colour less colouring. thin the quickshade with preferably acrylic medium, or water. This needs a bit more shepherding and brushwork up until the ink starts to dry enough to stay still, to avoid an uneven result.

Kyphrixis (clear variant)
      Reaper Bones KS3
      Translucent bones
      125mm x 90mm oval base

• By Lidless Eye
      Just a bunch of Eastern myth themed minis, mostly from Bones III and one Kenku/Tengu Monk from Stonehaven.

Oh, and some Myconids from Ganesha Games and Bones III plant monsters.  More Mario than myth, I suppose.

Oni close-up:

Kitsune close-up:

I like the male Kitsuine a lot more than I was expecting.  His pose, with all its swagger, adds a lot of character.  I also hadn't noticed the sake cup he was holding until I started painting.
    • By jonaas33
      Whipped this guy up while taking a break from a few bigger projects.  There are a LOT of touchups that I need to make, but for a palette cleanser, I think he turned out pretty cool.  I think I need to find a place in my house with better lighting, because I notice a lot of detail errors when I get the close-up picture taken that I never saw when painting.  Does anyone use magnifying glass or something else to help with smaller parts of a fig?  I have excellent vision, but the difference between just looking at a fig on a tabletop and getting picture taken is pretty stark.  Now I need to come up with a Big Bad Evil Guy so I can use this guy during an adventure.  I appreciate any advice and critiques!  Thanks!

• By Ash Adler
      Intellect devourers were always one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'd been planning on painting this mini eventually, but I never got around to buying it since it was kind of plain compared to most other minis.  As fortune had it, though, I got it as a bonus with my last order from Reaper, so I decided to just do it.  Color scheme was based on a mixture of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual intellect devourer, the more "realistic" 3rd edition version, and a smattering of actual crabs.

As usual, the process of working on it is on my blog: link

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to handle holding a mini without a base that I could stick on top of a shot glass.  I held it by unpainted parts for as long as I could, but in the end, I held it by the brain to finish off the talons.  Sadly, that led to some of the paint getting rubbed off (probably could've avoided at least some of that if I hadn't been squeezing it so hard, but it's easy to forget my strength at times).  Aside from that, though, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out .  It was a simple mini, but I enjoyed it.  C&C welcome (especially any tips for how to avoid damaging finished paint on baseless minis, short of varnishing a completed area to hold it by for the final parts).
    • By Ash Adler
      I'm glad I got talked into checking out these kits.  Having someone walk me through what exactly to do really helped me to focus on what was happening with the mini without getting distracted by thinking about the next color choice or whatever.

Honestly, the skeleton was probably my favorite of the 3 minis.  Sure, it doesn't have as much going on with it as the other two, but the simplicity makes it good for learning, it's the one that seems best suited to "drybrush EVERYTHING" approach to highlighting, and besides, the dopey look of it is rather cute

This one, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare.  It's not so much that there was anything particularly difficult about the model itself (it's actually posed to make things pretty easy to access all around), but it was just horrible trying to drybrush it with any real sort of cleanliness (not talking so much about how I clearly overdid it in some areas as stuff like the random brown smudges on his skin, metal sparkles on his leather parts, etc.).  Well, that, and I had a hell of a time getting the brush to survive banging into the spikey bits no matter how careful/gentle I tried to be with it when doing the leather bits.

Getting more eye practice is never a bad thing, at least.  I even managed to keep the black outline all around the whites this time!

This one annoyed me to start out because I just couldn't get the sword to set straight no matter how much I overbent it in the other direction while doing the whole hot/cold water thing.  Once I decided to just give up and go with it, though, it was pretty smooth.  Probably the best looking of the three in the end.

All in all, it was a very valuable learning experience.  Hoping that the learning keep going on through the next kit as well!
  • Who's Online   49 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)