scipio.au

Old-School Citadel Ogres: An Ongoing Thread... (Updated 1 Mar 2015)

I like seeing your old painted minis, you've been painting well for quite some time. This guy is great and I can see why he's your favorite, nice details and attitude.

I hear you on stripping the old ones, I want to keep mine as kind of an archive of how I painted over time.

Thanks Cash. I'll be showing off a lot more of them in the coming weeks. Summer (and Spring, when it's not overcast and raining) usually get me more motivated to paint and play and photograph, amongst other things. The good light (and Aussie summer break) really work for me in that sense.

I'll even show off some nice Space Marines just for you. I'm sure you'll like them - they have some nice freehand on them. ;)

• Like 1

He's got loads of character and style. The striping on the pants is a nice touch and your gemstone looks great. Taking those old skool mini's and putting them on updated bases is a good idea as it shows how good those sculpts really were. I like how you've done this one.

He looks great! I really like the old school paint scheme you're doing, it looks more 'fantasy-ish' than the current 'everything is grim and dark and muted' thing that GW seems to be doing now. Also, good call on using all the old metal ogres, I like them loads better than the new pot-bellied plastic ones.

Great painting, and those models are nice.

I have those, and even some of the original ogre regiment of reknown. I must get round to painting them some day, you might just inspire me. Thanks

Thank you all. Cash is right, the Reaper forums are filled with quite nice people.

Here's another one. I remember, I painted him from bare metal to done in a single Saturday, many years ago. Still a nice, characterful sculpt, but the memory of painting him entirely in a day especially makes him a special model to me and still gives me the warm fuzzies (though I forget the actual details of the day.)

Warrior1-1_zps4e2c5e7d.jpg

Warrior1-2_zpsd14855a9.jpg

• Like 22

Wow, what a lot of fun details and colors.

I admit to still being a bit fuzzy on what "old school" means. I painted minis back in the day, but was not in communication with any other person or organization about them. I was just becoming aware of Citadel when I stopped collecting minis, and it was twenty years before I took them up again, just recently.

I see diffences between these and a lot of what's floating around today, but I don't know what bits are old school and what are your own artistic decisions. I like the yellowish skin tone with the pinkish shading and the bright but not eye-watering colors.

• Like 2

Well, the whole package is "old-school" in that the Ogre models shown are (at least) 25 years old, the the paintjobs are 10-23 years old (these two being at least 16-18 years old) and so reflect my ability of the day as well as the aesthetics of the day (i.e. circa WHFB3, and early 4th edition, and their contemporary White Dwarves. So no NMM, OSL, etc. The "modern" elements are simply the bases, which use painted sand, a bit of weathering powder and tufts, which have been updated in order to bring the models inline and unify them with my current figures.

• Like 1

I really like the second one you posted - the one you did in one day. Even for "old school" the shading a crispness of your paint job is wonderful.

My favourite bits are the metal "plates" on his top, all his many warts and the word "ALE" on his flask. ^_^

Thank you! :)

Today's pic is "Ogre Thug", another of Jes Goodwin's work (as was the last one, with his ale flask). Since I had more than one of this guy, I decided to convert him a little. I took off his helmet spike, and replaced the head of his mace with a hammer head from some other random figure. This one got painted around 1996 during or just after the Atlanta Olympics, since I gave him an Aussie flag tattoo, as so many of our athletes of the time were wearing on their right shoulders. Also, a big tribal piece, since that was the fashion of the time, and, you know, Ogre.

Warrior2-1_zpsf051a784.jpg

Warrior2-2_zps04229a21.jpg

Warrior2-3_zps764b234c.jpg

• Like 20

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Hi All!

I've just been rearranging my display shelves & have noticed that I actually have a few minis that I have never shown on these boards. They are the first ones that I painted a few years ago when I returned to the hobby after many, many years. I will show the others soon but to begin with, here's GW's Gandalf The White & Shadowfax.

The actual paint job is essentialy me getting back in the swing of things by copying the image on the miniatures' packaging, I made the base terrain(s) using air drying clay, gravel & sand & added some grass clumps to finish.

Gandalf on foot

Gandalf mounted on Shadowfax

Back soon with something "big, ferocious & wingy" - thanks for looking!

• By ThirstyBob

Wow I feel really outclassed here but I've gotta start somewhere...
      Painted these for a friend's birthday, it was several months past his birthday when I finished, lol. Unfortunately before I could properly finish he had to move so I had to rush and couldn't do as much as I'd like. A lot of bases remained unpainted, and some touch ups on some of the skintones that I was planning on doing after had to be left as they were.
      Not sure how many I can fit before it starts flagging me as spam so I'm just gonna show a photo of all of them, and then some of the monsters. They're the ones I'm most satisfied with.

Blood Rage Base Game all painted minis

Fire Giant

Ice Giant
      Troll

• By Nightwing
      Here is the Lich from the Grenadier Monsters box set. 

I didnt highlight the robe. I wanted it to stay grungy looking. I’m not sure if that was a mistake or not. How does one highlight a grungy purple robe?  What color mix would one use?  

• By Lidless Eye
      The next set out of Bones 3, various monsters!

The Carrion Worm really grew on me!

The Temple Dragon is really cool.  I hadn't even realized until I was inking it that the base was a statue of a robed woman:

The Manticore, who I was specifically hoping for before they announced it during the campaign.  It's a classic monster I didn't have a mini of!

Lastly, the Giant Cobra.  Kind of rushed this one along...he also appears to hide from the camera focus.

• By Dr.Bedlam
      Now, MOST of us have a clue where the monsters came from, at least in a rudimentary sense. Tolkien invented the orc as we know it, and the giant spider in fantasy; Robert E. Howard seemed to have a thing for giant snakes. We know that centaurs came from ancient Greece, dwarves and trolls from Scandinavian myth, goblins from Western Europe, dragons from more or less everywhere, and so on. No, don't correct me; I'm bein' general here, and approaching a point.

I'm kinda curious, though: Where'd some of the weirdier critters come from?

It is legend among the Gamers and the Geekosphere about the bulette, the owlbear, and the rust monster. 

The legend has it that Gary Gygax, or perhaps Dave Arneson, back when The Game was just getting off the ground, had difficulty finding miniatures to represent various dungeon denizens. Keep in mind that historical miniatures, at the time, were relatively easy to find, (Knights, Archers, Men At Arms, and characters in general) but fantasy gaming as we know it did not yet exist. No mythological monsters! So Gary or Dave, or whoever... cheated.

And several inhabitants of the first edition (and later) Monster Manual had some rather peculiar origins. In the picture, at center front, you see what became the Bulette, whereas to the left, there's a Rust Monster and to the right, an Owlbear in brilliant yellow.

In the seventies, you could get these critters in bags in the dime store or on a spinrack in the drugstore, anywhere that sold cheap toys from no-name manufacturers. They were usually marked as dinosaurs, but this particular mob resembles no known prehistoric creatures; the majority of them seem to be knockoffs of monsters from Japanese TV shows like Ultraman, Spectreman, and other ancestors of the Power Rangers. Gary himself spoke about using plastic dinos in lieu of dragons, and the AD&D Monster Manual has the majority of dinos known to pop culture as of 1975. So Gary noticed them at the dime store, bought a bag, and pitted them against his players. And these three creatures became the dreaded Rust Monster, Bulette, and Owlbear, as well as becoming obscure but treasured collectors items among the lords of geekdom.

Which means that all the owlbear miniatures being made right now are all because of a cheap Taiwanese knockoff toy based on a man in a suit monster who appeared on a Japanese kidshow back in the sixties. Or seventies. Or whatever.

It could be that this thread will be doomed to obscurity. I rather hope not. I'm hoping that others will add to it with critters that started out as obscure toys that later achieved a sort of immortality as modern gaming mythology. Do add to it. I'm still more'n a little curious.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)