scipio.au

Old-School Citadel Ogres: An Ongoing Thread... (Updated 1 Mar 2015)

51 posts in this topic

I like seeing your old painted minis, you've been painting well for quite some time. This guy is great and I can see why he's your favorite, nice details and attitude.

I hear you on stripping the old ones, I want to keep mine as kind of an archive of how I painted over time.

Thanks Cash. I'll be showing off a lot more of them in the coming weeks. Summer (and Spring, when it's not overcast and raining) usually get me more motivated to paint and play and photograph, amongst other things. The good light (and Aussie summer break) really work for me in that sense.

I'll even show off some nice Space Marines just for you. I'm sure you'll like them - they have some nice freehand on them. ;)

1 person likes this

He's got loads of character and style. The striping on the pants is a nice touch and your gemstone looks great. Taking those old skool mini's and putting them on updated bases is a good idea as it shows how good those sculpts really were. I like how you've done this one.

He looks great! I really like the old school paint scheme you're doing, it looks more 'fantasy-ish' than the current 'everything is grim and dark and muted' thing that GW seems to be doing now. Also, good call on using all the old metal ogres, I like them loads better than the new pot-bellied plastic ones.

My favorite ogre. Love the gem on the scabbard, the tattoo, and striped pants.

Great painting, and those models are nice.

I have those, and even some of the original ogre regiment of reknown. I must get round to painting them some day, you might just inspire me. Thanks

Thank you all. Cash is right, the Reaper forums are filled with quite nice people.

Here's another one. I remember, I painted him from bare metal to done in a single Saturday, many years ago. Still a nice, characterful sculpt, but the memory of painting him entirely in a day especially makes him a special model to me and still gives me the warm fuzzies (though I forget the actual details of the day.)

Warrior1-1_zps4e2c5e7d.jpg

Warrior1-2_zpsd14855a9.jpg

22 people like this

Wow, what a lot of fun details and colors.

I admit to still being a bit fuzzy on what "old school" means. I painted minis back in the day, but was not in communication with any other person or organization about them. I was just becoming aware of Citadel when I stopped collecting minis, and it was twenty years before I took them up again, just recently.

I see diffences between these and a lot of what's floating around today, but I don't know what bits are old school and what are your own artistic decisions. I like the yellowish skin tone with the pinkish shading and the bright but not eye-watering colors.

2 people like this

Classic blue and white striped ogre trousers!

1 person likes this

Well, the whole package is "old-school" in that the Ogre models shown are (at least) 25 years old, the the paintjobs are 10-23 years old (these two being at least 16-18 years old) and so reflect my ability of the day as well as the aesthetics of the day (i.e. circa WHFB3, and early 4th edition, and their contemporary White Dwarves. So no NMM, OSL, etc. The "modern" elements are simply the bases, which use painted sand, a bit of weathering powder and tufts, which have been updated in order to bring the models inline and unify them with my current figures.

1 person likes this

That Captain could be the poster boy for "old school". Such a classic model. Still amazing today and your painting is great.

I really like the second one you posted - the one you did in one day. Even for "old school" the shading a crispness of your paint job is wonderful.

My favourite bits are the metal "plates" on his top, all his many warts and the word "ALE" on his flask. ^_^

Thank you! :)

Today's pic is "Ogre Thug", another of Jes Goodwin's work (as was the last one, with his ale flask). Since I had more than one of this guy, I decided to convert him a little. I took off his helmet spike, and replaced the head of his mace with a hammer head from some other random figure. This one got painted around 1996 during or just after the Atlanta Olympics, since I gave him an Aussie flag tattoo, as so many of our athletes of the time were wearing on their right shoulders. Also, a big tribal piece, since that was the fashion of the time, and, you know, Ogre.

Warrior2-1_zpsf051a784.jpg

Warrior2-2_zps04229a21.jpg

Warrior2-3_zps764b234c.jpg

20 people like this