Photo

Old-School Citadel Ogres: An Ongoing Thread...

Ogres Monsters Citadel Stuff of Legends

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 scipio.au

scipio.au

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm building an Ogre army for Mantic Games' Kings of War, since pictures of it in play seem to give off an old-school Warhammer 3rd Edition vibe in a lot of ways, and the game allows pretty free proxying of models, so you can use whatever you like and feel is cool. I put together and painted a couple of units of Mantic's new Ogre Shooter models recently.

The main reason I started Ogres though, was to have a reason/excuse to get out my classic Citadel Ogre models that I'd just painted for the pleasure of it. All of them painted between 10 and 23 years ago. I've also got several that are still unpainted, and a couple that got started and never finished. With this in mind, and after some bloody stupid moves a couple of years ago when I stripped some very well painted figures from my youth in order to repaint them "modern style" that I now hugely regret, I decided not to repaint these guys, but to touch up where needed (chipped paint or toning down overly garish bits, re-highlighting metals) but to keep the essence of them as they were originally painted. So where some of the highlighting is a bit rough, or the blending on the flesh tones isn't 100%, that stuff stays untouched. The old railway-flock bases have been redone with painted sand and tufts so they fit in with my current stuff, but that's mostly it, aside from the touch-ups.

I'll post them one at a time, and more complete pics will - as always - be on the blog (when it gets updated). I'll update this thread periodically after updating and photographing the figures as I go.

First Up:

Hrothyogg, Ogre Captain. Sculpted by Jes Goodwin.

Captain1-1_zps4d4e2f7d.jpg

Captain1-3_zps3eb750da.jpg

For the moment, he's leading the first infantry unit. I've not glued him to the resin base, as I'm also considering mounting him in a chariot to be the Warlord of the entire force, as this is my favourite ogre figure ever, and also one of my favourite miniatures ever.

Edited by scipio.au, 21 November 2013 - 03:09 PM.

• smokingwreckage, Lidless Eye, Dai-Mongar and 23 others like this
My gaming, modelling & miniatures painting blog.

#2 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7244 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

I like seeing your old painted minis, you've been painting well for quite some time. This guy is great and I can see why he's your favorite, nice details and attitude.

I hear you on stripping the old ones, I want to keep mine as kind of an archive of how I painted over time.

The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#3 scipio.au

scipio.au

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Cash. I'll be showing off a lot more of them in the coming weeks. Summer (and Spring, when it's not overcast and raining) usually get me more motivated to paint and play and photograph, amongst other things. The good light (and Aussie summer break) really work for me in that sense. 

I'll even show off some nice Space Marines just for you. I'm sure you'll like them - they have some nice freehand on them. ;)

• CashWiley likes this

#4 AnneO'Leary

AnneO'Leary

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

He's got loads of character and style. The striping on the pants is a nice touch and your gemstone looks great. Taking those old skool mini's and putting them on updated bases is a good idea as it shows how good those sculpts really were. I like how you've done this one.

Is leor don dreoilĂ­n a nead.

8b2928fd-559e-470a-b556-7359ecb760b5_zps

#5 Chaoswolf

Chaoswolf

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1583 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

He looks great! I really like the old school paint scheme you're doing, it looks more 'fantasy-ish' than the current 'everything is grim and dark and muted' thing that GW seems to be doing now. Also, good call on using all the old metal ogres, I like them loads better than the new pot-bellied plastic ones.

Chaoswolf is Wolf, woodsman and warrior in

Boldly Into Darkness Go.

#6 KruleBear

KruleBear

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

My favorite ogre. Love the gem on the scabbard, the tattoo, and striped pants.

#7 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6422 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'll be following this thread.

A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#8 misterc

misterc

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Great painting, and those models are nice. 

I have those, and even some of the original ogre regiment of reknown.  I must get round to painting them some day, you might just inspire me.  Thanks

#9 scipio.au

scipio.au

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

Thank you all. Cash is right, the Reaper forums are filled with quite nice people. 

Here's another one. I remember, I painted him from bare metal to done in a single Saturday, many years ago. Still a nice, characterful sculpt, but the memory of painting him entirely in a day especially makes him a special model to me and still gives me the warm fuzzies (though I forget the actual details of the day.)

Warrior1-1_zps4e2c5e7d.jpg

Warrior1-2_zpsd14855a9.jpg

• smokingwreckage, Lidless Eye, Dai-Mongar and 16 others like this

#10 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6292 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Wow, what a lot of fun details and colors.

I admit to still being a bit fuzzy on what "old school" means. I painted minis back in the day, but was not in communication with any other person or organization about them. I was just becoming aware of Citadel when I stopped collecting minis, and it was twenty years before I took them up again, just recently.

I see diffences between these and a lot of what's floating around today, but I don't know what bits are old school and what are your own artistic decisions. I like the yellowish skin tone with the pinkish shading and the bright but not eye-watering colors.
  • kay13 and KruleBear like this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 3115 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Classic blue and white striped ogre trousers!

• smokingwreckage likes this

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#12 scipio.au

scipio.au

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well, the whole package is "old-school" in that the Ogre models shown are (at least) 25 years old, the the paintjobs are 10-23 years old (these two being at least 16-18 years old) and so reflect my ability of the day as well as the aesthetics of the day (i.e. circa WHFB3, and early 4th edition, and their contemporary White Dwarves. So no NMM, OSL, etc. The "modern" elements are simply the bases, which use painted sand, a bit of weathering powder and tufts, which have been updated in order to bring the models inline and unify them with my current figures.

• Pingo likes this

#13 youwashock

youwashock

Godlike

• Members
  • 1225 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

That Captain could be the poster boy for "old school".  Such a classic model.  Still amazing today and your painting is great.

#14 MatrissaTheEnchantress

MatrissaTheEnchantress

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

really like the second one you posted - the one you did in one day. Even for "old school" the shading a crispness of your paint job is wonderful.

My favourite bits are the metal "plates" on his top, all his many warts and the word "ALE" on his flask.  ^_^

Matrissa the Enchantress
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly.

----

KS1 Bones Painted out of 175 20: 1 @ 100% done; 1 @ 75% done; 1 @ 50% done

----

Sonskyn Whitethistle, elfkin cleric of Veiloaria in Boldly Into Darkness Go (WIKI)

#15 scipio.au

scipio.au

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Thank you! :)

Today's pic is "Ogre Thug", another of Jes Goodwin's work (as was the last one, with his ale flask). Since I had more than one of this guy, I decided to convert him a little. I took off his helmet spike, and replaced the head of his mace with a hammer head from some other random figure. This one got painted around 1996 during or just after the Atlanta Olympics, since I gave him an Aussie flag tattoo, as so many of our athletes of the time were wearing on their right shoulders. Also, a big tribal piece, since that was the fashion of the time, and, you know, Ogre.

Warrior2-1_zpsf051a784.jpg

Warrior2-2_zps04229a21.jpg

Warrior2-3_zps764b234c.jpg

• smokingwreckage, Lidless Eye, Citrine and 14 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ogres, Monsters, Citadel, Stuff of Legends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users