spencerjohn

Dwarven Forge Tiles Painted (Please Add yours)

Ok for some reason I couldn't add pictures in the Kickstarter post, so I figured I would just start a post here if people want to have their tiles in one place.

I went to Michaels and spent maybe $24 on craft paint and cheap big brushes, with plenty of paint left over after I was done. (Black, white, blue, tan)

I didn't primer, but I wish I did because I always primer with grey and that's what I used for my base coat.

1) Base coat grey, mixed black and white together.

2) Painted the window/arrow slit bricks tan.

3) I picked out some random bricks and colored them blue, waste of time.

4) Dry brushed with tan, which covered up the blue bricks so much you couldn't see them.

5) Made a thick wash of blue paint and covered all sides, then used paper towel to gently dab off excess on raised surfaces. So messy!

Its hard to see in most of the pics but they have a nice blue tint to them and in the cracks. I didn't like the color scheme they used.

Since I didn't primer the paint can come off, so I may varnish them and see if that helps.

post-8946-0-30236800-1384113169_thumb.jpg

post-8946-0-86910500-1384113200_thumb.jpg

post-8946-0-15316200-1384113234_thumb.jpg

Edited by spencerjohn
  • Like 12

I can see the blue. Very nice! Very castle-wall-ee. Thanks for sharing. How many sets/add-ons is that?

EDIT: I also can't upload photos directly to existing threads and always have to link to them externally from somewhere else. Me no get computers.

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder
  • Like 2

Thank you!

I got 3 un-painted sets with the castle walls and curved walls to make towers/castles My wife is super angry at me this weekend for taking over the dining room with the paint-a-thon.

• Like 4

That looks like a lot of work. How long did it take for you to put together and paint?

Fix your wife dinner and do the washing up. She'll be thrilled to have you take over any space you want to after that.

• Like 3

Sorry for the flash-glare. I need a better way of taking photos than just my phone. Here's the first of the floor tiles I've painted up.

post-8219-0-94695100-1384131613_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

@Anne it took me three days to get done, one day for the base coat, but could seriously speed up with spray paint primer, I brushed it on by hand. One day for drybrushing/detail, and the last day for the wash and I did seal them.

I dread the moments when she either does the walking by or stop and stand and then eye-roll/sigh/grunt.

@Argentee Very nice, I love your mosaic! Man wish I had some of those!

@spencerjohn: Nicely done. I can totally see the blue too, so I don't really think it was a waste of time to do that at all. It's subtle, but there.

@Argentee: I also love that mosaic - the Kraken comes! I don't do the dwarven forge thing so am I correct in measuring that whole tile as 6" x 4" and the mosaic as 4" x 2"?

• Like 1

@Argentee: I also love that mosaic - the Kraken comes! I don't do the dwarven forge thing so am I correct in measuring that whole tile as 6" x 4" and the mosaic as 4" x 2"?

Correct. :) The size of the mosaic tiles makes it hard to do high resolution, especially since they are 'damaged'. I tried to make something that could be used as an octopus (Ok, it's short 2 tentacles), Kraken, or Cthulhu depending on the needs of the scenario. I'm thinking of doing another mosaic tile with a sun and a moon, which again could be just decoration or could have various meanings depending on the scenario.

• Like 5

Ugh, everytime I see these I want a house so I have room for them.

How many of those little bricks do you suppose it would take to build a real house? ::P:

• Like 5

My mother-in-law lives with us, she sold her house and is getting an in-law apartment added on, yesterday she joked about building a house out of them.

Heck if shes paying we should, then when she no longer needs the house I could break off a chunk when I need a dungeon room.

• Like 4

Great idea for a thread! Your set looks good from here, I agree about the blue, not a waste of time at all.

@Argentee--very cool C'thulu mosaic!

• Like 1

out of curiosity, do you know how much your order weighed. My group's just arrived, I haven't seen it yet, but I am told it was something like 37 lbs and I want to try figure out how much paint I am gonna need (I volunteered to supply paint and brushes for the paint-a thon)