Sign in to follow this  
Gamgan

Gamgan's Random WIP

I started a thread over in the custom terrain and conversions forum to cover some of my aquatic themed monsters and terrain ( including boats and ships). I also wanted to share my other WIP for some of the figures I am working with or finished. I did most of these conversions for a game called Heroscape over at Heroscapers.com.

I like going back to something I did a few years ago and retouch it up, or repaint it or do some additional details. Anything suggestions are always welcomed.

Mage knight Giant to Classic Giant

Very cool Mage Knight giant, can be found on ebay for about $4 now. My brother wanted this giant for his Pathfinder army but not with dwarfs riding him or caring guns.
This was the end result;

P1010951.jpg

How I modified the MK Giant to a Classic D&D Giant

I have been caring around this figure since I ordered him off eBay in Iraq. Always wanted to do something with this very cool ( and dirt cheap) figure. He is HUGE on the battle field.

This giant I decided to change for my brothers classic army ( no guns ) so the first thing I did was tear off everything that looked out of place.
Out came the guns, the dwarves, the huge furnace off his back and a few odds and ends. I had to use a screwdriver to pry most of it off.

P1010866.jpg
P1010867.jpg

So as not to waste too much greenstuff ( I just got this tiny strip for the first time didn't want to waste it) I stuffed some spare plastic into the big holes in his shoulders and covered them with greenstuff. I tried not to make it too smooth as I wanted it to look like beaten metal.
IMG_0942.jpg

I am really bad trying to sculpt, but this was supposed to be fun so I just gave this guy some big spikes on his shoulders because I couldn't think of any thing else at the time. ( Now I wish I would have glued on some chains or something to him....)
P1010885.jpg

Painted the Greenstuff black
P1010920.jpg

This was the main reason I wanted to make this guy. His back now has a HUGE space in it where the furnace was. I wanted to try making a fur cloak for him to cover this up. I found a bunch of really cool videos on youtube. Search for * How to greenstuff fur* and you will find a couple. I first made a thin cloak out of green stuff and let it dry, then gave it a second thicker cloak of greenstuff and started working on it with a dental pick I bought in Walgreens for $6. I made the mistake of not doing this in layers as I worked my way up it became harder and harder to give this huge cloak shape. Next time I will work in sections to avoid this.

P1010887.jpg

It was really easy to do and very fun to make.

P1010922.jpg

After this was done I looked up on Youtube again ( As I have very little skill on my own :) ) on how to paint fur.

These are the end results. I glued the furnace on a base and painted the back to make it into a decorative piece for one of my future games.
P1010951.jpg
P1010957.jpg
P1010955.jpg
P1010954.jpg
P1010918.jpg

I wanted to go all out on a cool base, place some trampled on soldier ( like a smooshed dwarf! I have the parts!), bits of battle trash and some foliage but my brother wanted it very simple since non of his other models are based. I think the Spartan base sticks out like a sore thumb it its for his army so his call.... spoil sport...

Hope you guys enjoyed.

• Like 6

NCP Kobold custom figure

Brother tells me he needs a custom mini for his weekend pathfinder game ASAP.

Very specific, a kobold with dragon wings, a spear, crossbow and blue scales.

Ooohhkaaaayyy... let me see

D&D mini kobold + battlemaster knight spear tip + Heroscape Sonlen's Dragon's wings ( poor fella) + D&D mini kobold crossbow (from another kobold) + paperclip for the spear shaft + blue paint

Mix it all together and you get this!!

IMG_1219.jpg

Very quick paint job since he's coming over an less than an hour to pick it up....

NPC.jpg

So when he arrives to pick up the mini I have to ask!!

Now tell me this is a super cool main character for one of your players and he's pivotal in the storyline and has some great adventures through out the rest of your campaign????

He replies... " hmm Nope, ncp messenger, gets killed off first encounter I think, maybe second.. thanks, cool mini..."

...... gotta love family....

• Like 6

Whoa. For "this is what I did based on Youtube instructions", that fur is awesome.

Actually, for "I've done fur before, and this is how fur is done", it's still awesome.

Good stuff!

Actually, the Forum Rules changed a while back so that we aren't allowed to do Consolidated WIP or Show-off threads any longer. For WIP they allow themed (teams, groups of same monster/kind/squads, all part of one bigger piece, etc) or they allow a finite thread for say a season or month or quarter. So you'll want to start up a new WIP thread and have a beginning/end to it rather than infinite. 

Thank you for the heads up, Ill start a new thread and delete these recent post ( let me do that now)

• Like 1