Sign in to follow this  
Girot

HELP - CAV Faction Lists/Colors

I'm having a bear of a time finding usable reference material for what models count for what faction and some color schemes for each. I really want to do a batch of "canon" models for the different factions but have very little idea where to start.

Somewhere I have a JOR from CAV 1 or 2. Somewhere. But it will just be the cover art. The insides were B&W.

I think it might be this one:

51e7DiM-pdL._SL500_SX258_BO1,204,203,200 And then whatever faction fields Dictators is Brick Red and Mustard Yellow.

Edit: the online store thinks that the Ritterlich is blue. Because paint. :unsure: But Stubbdog's Rittlerlich task force that illustrates the wikipedia article about CAV is Mustard Yellow with White trim / flashes.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Somewhere I have a JOR from CAV 1 or 2. Somewhere. But it will just be the cover art. The insides were B&W.

I think it might be this one:

51e7DiM-pdL._SL500_SX258_BO1,204,203,200 And then whatever faction fields Dictators is Brick Red and Mustard Yellow.

Edit: the online store thinks that the Ritterlich is blue. Because paint. :unsure: But Stubbdog's Rittlerlich task force that illustrates the wikipedia article about CAV is Mustard Yellow with White trim / flashes.

Eeeeeeexactly... :upside:

Me thinks it's time for Girot to do a full blown repaint of everybody.

I hopped on eBay and picked up every paper CAV pub I could find:

Original rulebook

Big Dance

JoR 1

JoR 2

• Like 1

Reaper purposely refrained from releasing very many canon paint schemes. During CAV 1, everyone was supposed to be playing as mercs, so the idea was that everyone had the freedom to do whatever they wanted. When CAV 2 shifted the focus to government factions, they didn't do much in the way of color schemes b/c they didn't publish any products beyond the rulebook.

So, the only schemes that were ever published were the color inserts in the JoR 1 and pictures in the CAV 2 rulebook. I don't think that any of the rulebook pics are tied to specific units, but most have faction logos on them (Rach on the front cover, Malvie on the inside splash page, silver & blue Templars, etc.) The JoR pics are mostly tied to specific units, but most of them are mercs.

Edited by Chrome

Maybe each unit (task force?) of a star nation's standing army can be thought of as having its own livery. So if you mustered all the equipment stationed at whatever the capitol of Malvernis is (Edit) ...and put it on parade... (Edit) the result would be as colorful as a Bretonnian army.

But instead of each knight having his own colors, each tactical grouping would have its own distinct colors. There might be Lances, Task Forces, or entire Battle Groups with distinct schemes all within The Army of Malvernis.

(How does the force structure of these big stompy robot armies go anyways? A Lance of 4-6 machines, 2 Lances make a Squadron [section?], then Task Force, then Battle Group [battalion?] Regiments? Divisions? ....finally Army.)

Edited by TGP

Part of me really likes this because it means I can do whatever the heck I want but then another part of me is really annoyed that I have no easy reference to use as a starting point. Looks like I get to invent the culturally generic styles of each faction...

Rach = A 50/50 cross between Blood Elves and Klingon. Red/Black/Metallics (white for grunts/gold for nobility). Orange/Yellow energy effects.

Holy Rollers = Anime-style Paladins (think Ky Kiske). White/Blue/Silver (bright white metals) Blue/White Lighting effects.

Terrain = Good old fashioned army green for grunts. Specialty units get the 'camo of the month'. Celebs/vets/characters get something in keeping with the future marine look but with a little personal flare. Blues/Purples for energy effects.

Malvernis = Greyscale. Some metals. Very static and boring. No visible effects.

Adon (space elves?) = Wood Elf style greens and browns. Kind of a contradiction but then that's the point? :upside:

This should get me off to a reasonable start...

The other thing is that according to the fluff, the vehicles could adapt their coloring through the use of color changing nanites.

To misquote the Doctor, it picks the color most likely to blend in with the surroundings and just before landing chooses to be a blue police box from 1963 London.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Rach aren't much for camo. Their style was "I'm the guy in the bright red Emperor. Kill me if you can."

Sarge is correct about the nanite paint jobs, but the concept never really got beyond a few comments on the forums by Matt. IIRC the idea was that changing colors was very energy intensive, but maintaining a color was cheap. Basically each CAV would have a few pre-set schemes that the pilot would switch between depending on the mission. Parade colors for showing off, woodland camo for forests, all-black for night ops, etc. He'd just flip a switch (or more likely tell the computer which option to use) and the nanites would make the switch. Think of them as being like the pixels in your computer screen.

Using them to create Active Camo was very expensive tho. It was actually a game mechanic in 1.5, and using it required 1 Action/turn. It wasn't a magical, Predator/Klingon type of cloaking field tho. It was just supposed to make you tougher to spot and give you that slight advantage you'd get from your opponent not seeing you quite as easily. If you go to page 20 of the rules pdf (pg 8 if you go by the actual page numbers printed in the book) you'll see a pic of a gray Butcher standing in front of some gray industrial buildings. This was Neil's interpretation of active camo.

Edited by Chrome

I dug these JoR 1 pics up from my site. They're big, so I'm only posting the ones that belong to CAV governments. I'd post a link to the page that they used to be shown on, but it dates back to our original site and all of the links are broken. You'd just see a bunch of broken images. Sorry there weren't more than this. We only got a handful of preview pics and most of the schemes they did were for merc units. I'm especially bummed that we didn't have a pic of the Ritterlich Tsuiseki. It has a great blue/yellow paint job that matches my avatar.

jor_challenger_01.jpgjor_gladiator_01.jpg

• Like 1

They're close, but I think Ritterlich Blue is just a shade darker.

If you're not familiar w/the history of Reaper and CAV, you should know that most of the governments stretch back to before CAV was created. Adon, Ritterlich, and Malvernis were all a part of Reaper's Dark Heaven fantasy setting, long before CAV came about. For example, these guys have been in Reaper's catalog forever. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/malv/sku-down/06055 There used to be some Ritterlich warriors that matched.

My Adon force looks like my avatar with a few color tweaks for differentiating units on the table.

I can post some pics after I get home tonight and tomorrow since I will be making a bunch of terrain for this weekends CAV 2 game.