Slendertroll

89001: Pathfinder Red Dragon by Slendertroll

Here's my extended entry for the Year of Dragons contest. My first full-sized dragon! Pretty pleased with how easy Bones made doing such a big mini, though I'm wishing (as always) that I'd taken more time with the mold lines. Pics are a little washed out in places, but I think they mostly turned out okay.

post-8362-0-38236400-1388480257_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-62329100-1388481774_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-86638100-1388480510_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-00882300-1388480729_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-48226800-1388479068_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-74813400-1388478782_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-88898200-1388481860_thumb.jpg

And look! He's made a little friend!

post-8362-0-02252600-1388482127_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-10825100-1388481105_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I like the tone of the oranges. It is odd, the more I see the PF red painted, the less I like the scales. Not a hit on your job, but in general terms... they look like bumps.

I would've loved to see the membranes in between the neck spines painted as the wings too.

• Like 1

Great job ST!

A few comments/critiques if you'll humor me:

• I like the top of the wings better than the bottom of the wings, you did a much better job blending that area and it looks a lot better to me, the underneath blends are pretty stark between the red/orange/yellow, it looks more rainbow-ish to me. A bit of glazing with the mid-tone between the transitions would do wonders for that part to give a better blend.
  • The red scales need a bit more of a black-wash to deepen the shadows and add more depth.
  • I agree with Willen about the membranes between the spines on his neck/back. I found those hard to do on mine, so I don't blame you one bit for not trying to get them done the way you did the wings.
  • The base is a bit too monotone, not sure if you have plans for basing him differently, but the skull blends into the ruins and the rock quite a bit. Most of these figures I've seen painted up will distinguish the 3 different elements a little bit.

A few quick thoughts on what I really like and stands out about him:

• The tops of the wings are a wonderful blend of color, really striking.
  • His teeth, claws, and horns are top-notch, very well done. They give the appearance of grime and age perfectly.
  • The underbelly is very well executed, great use of shadows, highlights, and blend there.

Anyhow, overall a wonderful job and something that anyone would be proud of painting up. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

I like the tone of the oranges. It is odd, the more I see the PF red painted, the less I like the scales. Not a hit on your job, but in general terms... they look like bumps.

I would've loved to see the membranes in between the neck spines painted as the wings too.

Thanks! It was a little tough deciding what should be painted as scale and what should be horns, since there isn't really a clear delineation. You're right; the neck frills would have been cool painted the same way as the back of the wings. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Love the wing gradient! The overall color is wonderful! Well done ^^

Thanks!

Great job ST!

A few comments/critiques if you'll humor me:

• I like the top of the wings better than the bottom of the wings, you did a much better job blending that area and it looks a lot better to me, the underneath blends are pretty stark between the red/orange/yellow, it looks more rainbow-ish to me. A bit of glazing with the mid-tone between the transitions would do wonders for that part to give a better blend.
  • The red scales need a bit more of a black-wash to deepen the shadows and add more depth.
  • I agree with Willen about the membranes between the spines on his neck/back. I found those hard to do on mine, so I don't blame you one bit for not trying to get them done the way you did the wings.
  • The base is a bit too monotone, not sure if you have plans for basing him differently, but the skull blends into the ruins and the rock quite a bit. Most of these figures I've seen painted up will distinguish the 3 different elements a little bit.

A few quick thoughts on what I really like and stands out about him:

• The tops of the wings are a wonderful blend of color, really striking.
  • His teeth, claws, and horns are top-notch, very well done. They give the appearance of grime and age perfectly.
  • The underbelly is very well executed, great use of shadows, highlights, and blend there.

Anyhow, overall a wonderful job and something that anyone would be proud of painting up. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the critique, it's very helpful. The undersides of the wings look a little smoother in person, and I really did try to glaze it as evenly as possible, but the yellow and orange I was using were fighting me all the way; they were just sooooo transparent, no matter how little I thinned them. I agree that a little more depth would be nice on the scales, too. (I was thinking of actually using a dark green wash for that complimentary color shadow that's so popular these days.)

As for the base, I interpreted the whole thing as a ruined statue, as seen in the illustration this figure's based on, where the whole thing is colored as one type of object, albeit a different color than I painted mine. A little more depth of tone might be nice, but I didn't want the base to be too complex for fear of detracting from the dragon itself.

Thanks again for your comments and critiques; they're very helpful in seeing flaws that I can correct next time. (Contrast contrast contrast!)

• Like 2

Two things spring to my mind:

- My comments on colors, etc, are stuff that usually comes to my mind while prepping the mini. I look at it from all different angles and try to identify which colors I will use, where, and how to "break" big surfaces. That is why the neck spines jump at me; they seem like the perfect place to break up some of the red down the middle on the back view, and add more interest in the side view where the wing effect is "lost".

- Re: transparent colors. Try adding a tiny bit of white paint, enough so that your paint does not change so much. The white pigment is so very opaque (you know about chalking?) that its addition to other pigments will increase the coverage dramatically.

You are welcome. That is a neat trick if you have a strong orange, or a yellow, that is too transparent. Unfortunately, this is more difficult to do with reds, as adding even a little white in my experience makes it a tad pinkish... but sometimes you can instead use a Bone color, or something creamy... those colors usually have very good coverage, and usually don't alter the hue of the red too much into the pink (sometimes, into the oranges or browns, so it depends on your preference).