DrSmackMatters

My new paint storage rack

That paint rack looks great Baugi!  I too looked at the metal corner bead and it was another great option.  Unfortunately I don't have any way to get an eight foot section of it home.  ::P:  so I had to go with the plastic L channel.  If it's ok with you when I film and write up the tutorial this weekend I will give you a shout out for that as an option over the plastic.

Edited by DrSmackMatters

Sure man! I couldn't transport it at that length either. Just borrowed a pair of tin snips from the lumberyard where I got 'em and snipped them in half!

So, I'm guess the bracket (L-shaped shelf) doesn't have the front on it- meaning the bottles could fall off the front if the table or shelf itself got bumped.

I thought the L-Shelf / plastic piece was rotated the other way so the bottles wouldn't fall out and I was trying to figure that out!

The way I'm planning on doing it is to saw half way through the side board and notch the plastic so it covers all the side board.  Pre drill a hole and screw it to the side board. The back will screw on directly to the back also for rigidity.

That's pretty sweet! Right now I'm limited to a roly drawer that sits in the corner of the kitchen as my 2yr old took over my office/hobby room 2 years ago. One day though... One day...

I did run across these while looking at the mini holder thingy. Seems a bit expensive, but pretty nice none the less. I've been playing with the idea of leasing/purchasing a laser cutter to expand my graphic design sideline... This may push me there... http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/5-tables-for-painting

• Like 2

So, I'm guess the bracket (L-shaped shelf) doesn't have the front on it- meaning the bottles could fall off the front if the table or shelf itself got bumped.

I thought the L-Shelf / plastic piece was rotated the other way so the bottles wouldn't fall out and I was trying to figure that out!

No they don't but they lean back slightly as the plastic isn't a perfect 90 degrees.  If you used the metal corner bead that Baugi used then you could probably bend those back so it is more like a 85 degree angle that way they would lean back more and be less prone to fall off if it got bumped.  

I got all the materials for the how to but then it turned really cold again in the midwest and the only place I have to work on it is in the unheated garage.  The tutorial is still coming though so don't worry I won't leave anyone hanging.   :poke:

That's similar to my plans for a rack, but I like the addition of L channel. It would save some vertical space vs using wood. My plan is to slide a dowel in front of the shelves as a retainer.

Or buy 

That's similar to my plans for a rack, but I like the addition of L channel. It would save some vertical space vs using wood. My plan is to slide a dowel in front of the shelves as a retainer.

Or buy a second piece and double up so it's a "U" channel instead.  I also thought of some thin acrylic glued to the front to make a barrier to keep things from falling off.

I did a budget version of this, with the tin braces used for drywall corners as shelves.  Unless there is a very serious earthquake, my paints aren't going anywhere.  I wouldn't worry too much about a retainer, honestly.

I've decided that I'm tired of seeing a jumbled mess of paint pots and bottles strewn (figuratively) all over my hobby desk and in a plastic container where I can't see them easily. So, inspired by seeing this thread a while back I've decided to knock together a paint rack to hold them all and sit against the wall at the back of my desk. I haven't made it yet but thought I'd write up my findings so far....

So I started by measuring dimensions of the paint pots and bottles I have (mostly citadel/GW with a few Vallejo and a growing number of Reaper). I figure that allowing 35mm per pot lets them sit comfortably next to each other. Measuring along the back of my desk and adjusting for the pot spaces gives me a rack length (interior) of 1120mm (which allows 32 pots per row).

Now to height. I worked out that the Vallejo bottles are slightly taller than Reaper, but either should be comfortable with a gap of 85mm which allows a few mm of gap to the next row (plus I have to work in some space for the actual shelf material which can be pretty thin). I pulled out a tape measure and lay some Reaper/Vallejo bottles down along it with the right gaps etc until I got to a point where it felt decent enough to allow for space but not have me standing up to reach for bottles. That worked out to be 8 rows (around 720mm interior).

When I took these numbers and multiplied them out I got allowance for 256 bottles of paint :blink:  Thinking that might be a wee bit overextending, I decided to count how many bottles I actually own....162 :blush:  And with a handful more winging their way to me from Reaper HQ soon.  So I think I might leave it at that size to allow for greed necessary expansion.

Next step (and where so many of my hobby projects linger) - turning it from idle design into reality!

• Like 1

I've decided that I'm tired of seeing a jumbled mess of paint pots and bottles strewn (figuratively) all over my hobby desk and in a plastic container where I can't see them easily. So, inspired by seeing this thread a while back I've decided to knock together a paint rack to hold them all and sit against the wall at the back of my desk. I haven't made it yet but thought I'd write up my findings so far....

So I started by measuring dimensions of the paint pots and bottles I have (mostly citadel/GW with a few Vallejo and a growing number of Reaper). I figure that allowing 35mm per pot lets them sit comfortably next to each other. Measuring along the back of my desk and adjusting for the pot spaces gives me a rack length (interior) of 1120mm (which allows 32 pots per row).

Now to height. I worked out that the Vallejo bottles are slightly taller than Reaper, but either should be comfortable with a gap of 85mm which allows a few mm of gap to the next row (plus I have to work in some space for the actual shelf material which can be pretty thin). I pulled out a tape measure and lay some Reaper/Vallejo bottles down along it with the right gaps etc until I got to a point where it felt decent enough to allow for space but not have me standing up to reach for bottles. That worked out to be 8 rows (around 720mm interior).

When I took these numbers and multiplied them out I got allowance for 256 20 bottles of paint :blink:  Thinking that might be a wee bit overextending, I decided to count how many bottles I actually own....162  20 :blush:  And with a handful more winging their way to me from Reaper HQ soon.  So I think I might leave it at that size to allow for greed necessary expansion.

Next step (and where so many of my hobby projects linger) - turning it from idle design into reality!

Just had to correct you math there.  Just like miniatures you can never have more than 20 bottles of paint. ;)

• Like 1

I've done my first test of my version of the paint rack.  I will do a better version for my primary rack and this one will be for duplicates and craft paints.

Here is the completed test.

Rack-all.jpg

I used the 1 1/8" x1 1/8" clear plastic corner protector for shelves.  Using a saw I cut a channel half way thru the side rail. 

Rack.jpg

I put a 1/8" particle board for the back.  Four screws join top, bottom and sides.  When done it will be crewed to the wooden TV tray that I use to paint.

Edited by ttuckerman
  • Like 4