Inarah

Artists Trading Cards?

This may be a little random but since there are plenty of creative types here I figured I'd ask. Anyone into ATCs?  I'm new to  it myself but it's been fun so far.  I wondered if we could get enough folks together at R'con to do some swapping. 

And for those who are unfamiliar with the term, and ATC is a handmade or altered card (standard playing card size) traded among artists. It can be painted, drawn, papercraft, or collage. Almost anything goes as long as it remains relatively card like.  They are very easy to make, even if you don't consider yourself an artist.

I think it would be fun to do a gamer/geek/fantasy/sci-fi exchange at the con. 

• Like 3

When I saw the title of the post I thought you meant a different kind of artist cards. I used to collect the artist cards of Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, and Olivia De Berardinis back in the early to mid 1990's. I'm not sure anyone even makes these cards anymore? Nor am I sure what happened to the notebook full of them I had. Sad.

Your artist cards sound like a cool idea though! Where do you get the cards to 'art on'? Or do you cut your art to size? Do you make copies, or are all cards a limited edition of 1?

• Like 3

I didn't know that's what they were. I have a stack of them I made long ago for pulling out random ideas in a roleplaying game.

I also have some Amber trumps, but they are pretty big and I wouldn't trade them.

• Like 2

You can alter a playing card of any kind by painting over it or pasting stuff onto it.  Got any old Magic cards around?  Or you can cut cardstock (I hear cereal boxes are popular) and you can even buy pre-cut cards at craft stores. 

Cards can be one-of-a-kind (OOAK) or there can be multiple same/similar, or even sets of coordinated cards. 

Hmmm. I have a friend who works in a sign shop who can print playing cards... he's one of the few people who can get the pdf version of a card set and really get his money out of it. Now I just need time to get artsy!

• Like 2

He he I can always find Decipher's Haldir cards from the game. (Which was my previous avatar)

When I saw the title of the post I thought you meant a different kind of artist cards. I used to collect the artist cards of Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, and Olivia De Berardinis back in the early to mid 1990's. I'm not sure anyone even makes these cards anymore? Nor am I sure what happened to the notebook full of them I had. Sad.

Your artist cards sound like a cool idea though! Where do you get the cards to 'art on'? Or do you cut your art to size? Do you make copies, or are all cards a limited edition of 1?

I have some of those too. I never seen them before or heard anyone mentioning them so when I saw a bunch in a local flea market I picked them up for $1 thinking they might be worth something someday to a collector. Oddly enough, I can't find them right now either, but I know they are safe in a hard plastic container...somewhere around here.

• Like 1

What if each person makes a card and has several copies made of it. Then each person at RCON can trade away one of their cards to someone else with a card of their own to trade. So, I might show up with a dozen "The Inner Geek" cards with some fantastic refrigerator worthy art on them and when I find Inarah I can trade her a copy of my card for a copy of her card. The RCON 2014 Art Card Swap. In a few years I might have several cards from Inarah, one from each year. Does this sound like a doable thing?

Since these would be 'prints' it does beg the question of what to do with the original? Still swappable for another artists original?

An art card swap is exactly what I had in mind. 

However, each card should be "original" and hand made. No photocopies, no "prints", unless hand printing is what you do.  If you draw or paint you would need to draw or paint 10 cards. 

Some examples; 

Here's a set of cat fairy ATCs made with stamps, that are nearly identical.

Here's a set that have the same theme, but each card is different. 

A set of steampunk cards using the same elements in different ways.

• Like 2

I TOOK IT!

heh no, but I think I had those same ones, plus a bunch more. I distinctly remember the creepy looking dealers that would show up at every comic convention during the 90s peddling the card series' in their little plastic boxes. Even though there are books and prints and now digital collections, there was something so great about an artists work in card form with a little blurb on the back.

I've got a couple sets of Boris and Michael Linser somewhere.  I should probably figure out where just to make sure my kids don't get a hold of them.  Linser did a few decidedly non-family friendly Disney cards.

I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know about restricting it to hand painted or drawn stuff. I draw like an 8 year old. But maybe something like getting a small run of cards made from pictures of minis I've painted...

• Like 1

I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know about restricting it to hand painted or drawn stuff. I draw like an 8 year old. But maybe something like getting a small run of cards made from pictures of minis I've painted...

This. If people want to draw\paint their own that's cool. For the rest of us lets just put picture's of Cash's minis on our cards.

• Like 2