Inarah

Artists Trading Cards?

If you don't paint or draw there are other media to explore.  Many of the cards are paper or mixed-media collage. I work with fiber and textiles.  

The standard for the hobby is handmade. Trading for a printed card would be like trading one of your hand painted figures for a D&D pre-paint. 

If it's not your thing, it's not. No worries. 

Not being familiar with the hobby, I guess I was envisioning cards that could be stacked in a deck like collectible card sets, and therefore less three dimensional. After checking out the examples in your links I think I was way off base. Those are cool, but not what I was thinking.

Yeah, slightly different animal. A collectible card set featuring painted minis is not a bad idea, but it's more effort in coordinating than I can put in.  That'd be like trying to get a book printed.  Would be cool to see sometime though. 

I was thinking a collectible cards featuring forum goers art (whether that be a mini pic, or logo, or picture of me riding a kangaroo whilst wearing a bowler hat). I know that in the pure hobby of artists cards they are all originals, but I still think it would be cool if I and X number of other people had that cool 2014 RC Inarah card that was only available that year at Reaper Con, and only if you played the card trade game. If 10 people brought 10 prints of their design, at the end all would leave with 10 different RC 2014 collectible cards from 10 different Forum-folk. Over a year or two you would accumulate an interesting deck of art cards from different artists. And no one would single-handedly be responsible for more than the art for 1 card and a few prints each year. It might make it more accessible to a larger crowd?

It would be unfeasible, I think for folks to get trading cards made on their own. My experience in getting other things printed is that there is a $50 set up charge to begin with, just to work with the art you give them, and the costs go up from there into the hundreds.  One person coordinating a group effort could get costs down. 

Looking at business cards,  though, full color glossy with text on the back, 100 go for about $10 with another $10 in shipping.  THATS an option most of us could afford. 

Here's the mockup I made quickly with a scratch image and vistaprint's online tools. I'd have this on the back and feature different painted minis on the front.

card_back_mockup.jpg

Sorry to kind of derail your thread, Inarah, I can take it to my WIP or something if you want. I just thought this was a cool idea, albeit different than what you were intending :)

It would be unfeasible, I think for folks to get trading cards made on their own. My experience in getting other things printed is that there is a $50 set up charge to begin with, just to work with the art you give them, and the costs go up from there into the hundreds.  One person coordinating a group effort could get costs down. 

Looking at business cards,  though, full color glossy with text on the back, 100 go for about $10 with another $10 in shipping.  THATS an option most of us could afford. 

My thought was to print at home and cut them ourselves to save money. Even if you put 10 to a sheet and had them professionally printed at Kinkos/Office Max on nice stock you'd still be in for less than $10 if you cut them yourself.  But you are right, business cards are an option as well. In fact, Avery makes printable business cards, though it might be a lot easier and only a buck or two more to order the cards as you mentioned.

You could lay out nearly anything two up in a graphics package and print them as 4x6 photos at Costco or Sam's Club really cheap. Trim them with a drop knife and you're done. (You might want a caption line in the art.)

Nah, it's all good.  It'll be interesting to see what folks come up with. 

I like the original idea. I am woeful at painting minis (and getting worse over time :down: ) but I could make small drawings on playing cards...

• Like 1

Here's the mockup I made quickly with a scratch image and vistaprint's online tools. I'd have this on the back and feature different painted minis on the front.

card_back_mockup.jpg

Sorry to kind of derail your thread, Inarah, I can take it to my WIP or something if you want. I just thought this was a cool idea, albeit different than what you were intending :)

Looked at the VistaPrint page. Do they have an invitations section where you could maybe match the playing card size format?

Edit: Digging the size info out of VistaPrint requires pulling-teeth level of effort. I found a post-card size that was 5-ish x 4-ish that was 50 for $10 bucks.

Edited by TGP

I don't know, I was just using them to mock up ideas to take to my local print shop. They'll know what to do to make the actual cards, I'll just give them the mockups and graphics. Not sure what options they'll have until I talk to them, though.

Trading card size is 2.5 x 3.5 inches. If anyone finds an online print house that handles that size, let me know. 

I am up for this. I like doing small drawings. This sounds like fun.

Amazon has blank playing cards for about $7-8 for a deck. I have ordered a couple.

While I was waiting for the order to come in I did some practice drawings on graph paper (using a plastic credit card as a template - similar rounded corners.)  Would it be OK to post samples. Errrr... would that be too much of a spoiler?