• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dks
      Sorry for being away from the Forum for so long.

So ... how does one pronounce "peryton"? 
      I've usually said it like "keratin" (stress on the first syllable), but I suppose it could rhyme with "enlighten" (stress on the second syllable) instead.
      I realized only weeks ago that I had been mispronouncing "wyvern" all my life, and the first syllable is long like "five", not short like "shiv".

Anyway...
      I taught a class called "Fur, Feathers, and Scales" class at ReaperCon 2018.
      I used the Bones peryton as a demonstration, because of the big feathered wings.
      The first-edition Monster Manual gives the coloration of a peryton as blue-black head, black horns, green wings, and blue chest (male) or drab chest (female).
      I showed my students pictures of real hawks and falcons, most of which have dark tips on their wing feathers, and sometimes a series of dark stripes. 
      Then I painted one of the peryton's wings to have stripes like that (black on green).

Now I've decided to paint the whole figure, to at least a good tabletop standard.
      I attached it to a 50mm round base, sculpted some extra rocks, and sculpted the skeleton of a past victim (a Reaper pewter skull, plus bones made from putty).
      Perytons bite the hearts out of their prey, so I made the skeleton's ribcage open/broken in front.

Here's how my version looked after I spent 2 hours slapping on Black Brush-on Primer and White Brush-on Primer, to establish the overall values.
      The primer didn't fully cover the striped green wing from my ReaperCon class.

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By FireImp
      Here’s my next big project, a 1984 Ral Partha dragon. This old fellow was in pieces when I received him, and painted. I’ve cleaned him up, removed the old epoxy glue, pinned him back together, and tonight realized it looks like he’s rising out of the water. He needs a bigger base, which I have (75x46mm oval). But I have never done any basing, and I’d like to create a base that extends the appearance of water. I have no idea how to do that, so any and all suggestions and illustrations are welcome!

• By Xiwo Xerase
      This was originally not one a mini I planned to paint.  However, I got two in an auction lot and the base fits well with one of my few base stamps (in this case, the Happy Seppuku Stone Shore stamp) so... why not?

(click for larger versions)

This is the state she is in now.  She's been primed and a thin coat of Brown Liner (1 part Wash Medium, 1 part Brown Liner, 1 part water) has been painted on top to bring out details.  (I found a mold line I missed on the side of her knee and relined her legs with a thicker coat of Brown Liner, because I forgot the original mix.  The thicker mix is not likely to obscure detail when painting but it does make it harder to see in these pictures.  Oops.)

(Note to self: Get a non-grey background for these pictures in the future.)

I've decided her doublet, pants, boots, and gloves are leather.  Her doublet and pants are stitched in the front and are worn over more normal clothes.  (Both her doublet and pants have obvious stitching in the front and the alternative is undesirable in a family friendly environment.)  Her shirt includes her loose poofy sleeves.  (Which are probably good for a rogue since they mask the shape of her arms.)  I believe the most interesting detail missing from her store page is her knife holster on her left leg.

I wasn't entirely sure what to use for colors so I did a mockup using my paint program.  The knife in her holster will not be visible from this side but I included them to get an idea for how they would look.

(click for a larger version)

The current colors are: (all paints are Reaper MSP or Bones)
      Skin: Youthful Flesh Hair: Blond Hair Doublet, boots, and knife handles: Ruddy Leather Pants and gloves: Nut Brown Belt, stitches, and other leather accents: Leather Brown Shirt and sleeves: Dark Elf Skin Blades: This is one of the colors from the Blade Steel swatch Floor: Dungeon Grey  
      The focuses for this mini are her face, her hair, textures (leather and wood), and NMM for the metal bits.  Let's see how this goes.
    • By Guildenstern
      Been working pretty steadly though bad about keeping up pics!

Did these guys (mostly done) in January. They are GW minis from the Battle at Pelennor Fields Lords of the Ring starter set.

I started on these guys closer to end of the month, as well:

They're for my Luna Wolves, first guy is the Terminator sarge (which I'm painting along with some other terminators from the Burning of Prospero box set)

This guy is a resin cast Apothecary from FW I bought off ebay - he's got a pretty bad mold slip along one leg, but otherwise is a really cool model. I'm trying to paint his little vials and bottles to be more realistic like glass full of ... well, something. He has a lot of detail on him!

• By Pochi
      Non Reaper 40mm+,  Bust, and Diorama entries only.  No more than 4 images per entry please.
      No chatter or questions, please.  Use the Rules and Questions thread. 
  • Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 98 Guests (See full list)