Sign in to follow this  
Thegun4dx

Oop worlds relicensed

What are the odds that someone(s) like Reaper, might be interested/able to get their hands on a liscence to produce minis for some of the recent "reborn" OOP game worlds.  Ravenloft springs immediately to mind, but I've heard mention that other WotC campaing worlds are getting the d20 relicenseing arrangement as well.

If the cash required to actually stamp "RAVENLOFT" on the mini package is too great, what are the legalities/considerations that need to be made in order to produce "generic" miniatures that look suspiciously like they would meld seamlessly with such campaigns?

Now, I'm not suggesting anything of course, but my fasvorite RPG world is OOP, and it would be so convient if someone should produce Birthright - like minis....

oh yes.... way cool indeed.

What are the odds that someone(s) like Reaper, might be interested/able to get their hands on a liscence to produce minis for some of the recent "reborn" OOP game worlds. †

If the cash required to actually stamp "RAVENLOFT" on the mini package is too great, what are the legalities/considerations that need to be made in order to produce "generic" miniatures that look suspiciously like they would meld seamlessly with such campaigns?

Just my opinion, but I don't think WOTC and their parent company Hasbro will license official miniatures to an independent company. †But Reaper has done a great job making generic minis that can serve our needs. †I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see new releases that are closer to the spirit of a character or creature than the "official" ones.

Regards,

Vorlon

Indeed, some of the recent conversation on the Ravenloft posting board has been about some of the Reaper minis being a better representation of the Ravenloft characters (especially some of the mummies) than the official Ral Partha line was. "Generic" would be just fine with me! (but I'm still looking forward to generic bullywugs!)

Concerning OOP game worlds one immediatly comes to mind. The one that helped TSR (you /do/ remember them, right?) have a faint glimmer of hope before being eaten by WotC:

Planescape. And let's bring back Tony D's artwork, Mmmkay?

--lstormhammer

never even LOOKED at planescape 'cuz i figured it was just an excuse to give characters ridiculous powers necessary to fight otherplanar beings in combat better left to legends and the direct servants of the gods...

guess i was wrong? what was planescape really like?

I read a few lines out of a couple of Planescape books, and the constant "berks" and "cutters" turned me off, though I admired a lot of the artwork.  Nothing really grabbed me about the setting, until I watched my wife play the computer game Planescape: Torment.

If you like real role-playing in computer games, get this one.  Nothing else I've ever seen even comes close in terms of depth of characters and stirring story.  The end (the one of the several possibles I saw my wife complete) actually brought tears to our eyes.  It's that good, and though it does complete a tale, the game begs for a sequel that will unfortunately never be made.  Even if the property were picked up by another company for a second installment, it would probably be churned out as yet another undistinguished hack 'n' slash fest with lousy voice acting.

Since then, my wife has been picking up every Planescape item she can find, and I just know our online group is going to step out of Greyhawk someday soon!

It's really the best D&D setting I've found, since it incorporates all of them.  Really, you can play it at any level, though I find it works best around 6-12.

There will ALWAYS be something bigger than your character, too.  I didn't find any of the powers that breaking either.