Sign in to follow this  
Feffer

Brushes No Longer Shipped to the U.S.

I want to try a maestro now. So much raving. I lucked out with a wonderful set of four wandn s7 for my birthday. The 3 gets little to no use at all, the two is thick enough for big areas and the one is short and pointy enough for small areas and details. The 0 is great for little details or hard to reach areas. I still grab my lucky kolinsky "super adjusted" long brush (Snapped it in two) first.

• Like 1

I lucked out and got a great W & N S7 mini size 1. It's the only size they had in stock, and I ordered it with 3 Raphaels. The W & N performs much better than the Raphs, but I tend to use them all for different things. The W & N is my general workhorse, and I use the Raph 0/3 for tiny details like eyes... oh the eyes... The other 2 Raphs get a lot of sit in the holder time, and get drug out when I need a fresh, clean brush like pronto, normally for sucking up excess paint for when my hand gets too heavy on the paints.

While I am at best a "Tabletop+" painter, I never liked the Raphaels. I've used the W&N's with some success. My favorite brushes were the Vallejos, but those are off-market as well. Lately, I've been perfectly happy with the Citadel brushes I picked up a few months ago. Of course, over the years I've learned to take better care of my brushes, so maybe I'd be more impressed if I re-visited the top shelf ones again.

• Like 2

When all this first cropped up I snagged a couple WNS7s in case the government for some reason moved slowly getting it straightened out. Heh. Since I'm about to retire my original #2 (after a year and a half!), I've got my fingers crossed my backup is a winner, too.

I want to try out some of the other brands when my budget recovers. I like quality stuff no matter the source.

I would advise anyone to stay far away from Games-n-Gears brushes. Terrible. Or maybe I just got bad batches of 50 or so. That was sarcasm.

• Like 5

Luckily, I like the DaVincis 8408s, and you can still find those, but when this was first bubbling as happening, I grabbed about 7 or so over a month or two, so I have good supply of brushes for awhile, and, luckily,  these last a good long while.  Sadly, I have been wanting to try a smaller Windsor one out for eyes that a friend uses, and I can't get that right now.  Stupid paperwork.

Both my Raphaels are practically unusable. I reach for my G&G brushes before I reach for them (though one of them has been relegated to metallics duty). I have a W&N size 2 that I find a bit too big, but the size 1 is my go-to brush for everything. I should really get in the habit of switching to the 2 for larger areas, to save the point, but the size 1 is just so good.

I ordered a W&N off of amazon a few weeks ago, turned out it was from a British 3rd party and it shipped here, from England, with no issues. Not sure if I got lucky, as the custom form did say paint brush, or if customs doesn't care about a consumer importing just one.

• Like 3

A good W&N series 7 is magic for me. Unfortunately I have had about 50-50 luck on getting a good one. I am annoyingly specific in the length to belly ratio preference I have for brushes.

As far as getting brushes right this minute, if you have a local art store, check there. (I mean fine arts store, craft stores like Michael's and Joann's will not carry these.) They often buy a bunch in bulk, so may have some stock ordered prior to the import issue. I snagged a couple from our local store when I heard about the lack of supply.

Also unless I'm mistaken, the import situation is for bulk import by distributors and stores, but individuals could still place an order for a consumer amount of brushes from a European dealer?

My W&N #2 was good, but it is currently forked baddly. I need a chance to put it to cleaning. I am interested in trying the daVinci ones though. I'm not yet a good painter, but working with good tools doesn't hurt and may help in my development.  That said, my current workhorse brushes are a W&N Cottman series and a DeSers precision with a W&N S7 000 for fine details

It's not the government dragging its heels. The suppliers don't want to comply with the new regulations, which require them to source their fur. The intent is to make sure no one is poaching other, endangered animals and passing it off as kolinsky, which apparently has been a problem in the past. It's sorting itself out, and businesses like Windsor and Newton are putting pressure on the suppliers to comply so they can resume US sales.

• Like 6

It's not the government dragging its heels. The suppliers don't want to comply with the new regulations, which require them to source their fur. The intent is to make sure no one is poaching other, endangered animals and passing it off as kolinsky, which apparently has been a problem in the past. It's sorting itself out, and businesses like Windsor and Newton are putting pressure on the suppliers to comply so they can resume US sales.

Then I'd rather wait. It's a shame people won't behave ethically when the market is left to its own devices. But I'm willing to go through some nuisance whilst W&N sorts it out.

As for other brush brands, I like the feel of Raphaël kolinskys but I find that they wear out terribly fast.

• Like 4

I wonder if kitty cat belly hair would work. God knows they defend that stuff as if it were ambrosia!

• Like 2

After learning metallic paint will hammer a S7 brush, I went to my local art store and picked up a #2 Rennaisance Red Sable brush. I'm happy to report It's not bad. My WNS7s and Raphs are better but it isn't a bad substitute. It's holding the point well and has the snap and spring I like in a brush. Here's a link to them.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/silver-brush-renaissance-red-sable-long-handle-round-series-7100/

• Like 1

For cheaper utility brushes, the Winsor and Newton Cotman brushes and Sceptre brushes aren't bad.

• Like 1

For cheaper utility brushes, the Winsor and Newton Cotman brushes and Sceptre brushes aren't bad.

I love the cotman brushes. Mmmmm love.

• Like 2