Sign in to follow this  
Feffer

Brushes No Longer Shipped to the U.S.

I want a couple Raphael brushes...considering price though, I'll settle for Rosemary. Next pay period.... /stares at Mister.

• Like 3

Not sure if it's wishful thinking or based on fact but several of the major online art suppliers have a back order date of 30 June now for W&N S7 brushes. May be a good portent for the future!

• Like 4

Not sure if it's wishful thinking or based on fact but several of the major online art suppliers have a back order date of 30 June now for W&N S7 brushes. May be a good portent for the future!

That's good to hear.

• Like 1

I'm pretty pleased with the 2 Rosemary & Co. brushes I bought 2 months or so ago. I don't think they are quite up to S7, but good brushes nonetheless. I tend to use a #1 brush for most things, and sadly I've seen the W&N brushes in the 1 going for as much as 60 dollars recently.  I also use some of the RMS Sables. Again, not as good as W&N S7, but good brushes, especially for the price. I have a S7M that I don't use because the bristles are way too short.

• Like 1

For cheaper brushes has anyone tried Dynasty Faux Kolinsky Round Series 1114 or know of some synthetic better then the gold taklons?

Jerry's Artarama currently has some Raphael 8404's on sale half-off:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/brushes-and-palette-knives/watercolor-brushes/rapha%C3%ABl-watercolor-brushes-and-sets/rapha%C3%ABl-kolinsky-round-watercolor-brushes.htm

I have a size 0 from them, and despite the handle being kind of warped, I like the bristles better than on my W&N S7. It's got a bit more snap to it, which I like. The one I will be ordering is a size 00, which should work well for tight spots and little weeny details where the belly of the size 0 just gets in the way.

When I ordered mine just now, they were out of both bundle packs, sizes 0-2, and, randomly, size 4. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

I like the feel of Raphael 8404s, but for me they wear out fast.

• Like 1

How are the Reaper brushes on the scale of things?

I'm working through some of the Army Painter brushes I received as gifts. I know they aren't the best, but those triangular handles are very comfortable to me.

Wow i must be a rube! I use a Golden Taklon I get at Micheal's

They're ok for base coating. I use them on CAVs because all the sharp edges destroy brushes and I don't feel bad about destroying Taklon.

I keep getting cheap brush sets from well-meaning friends and relatives who don't quite get what I do.  I haven't really found a use for the camel and horse hair brushes. 

"Brushes are a thing you like, right?"  *holds forth fistful of horrible brushes*

"Well, actually, there are many different kinds of brushes... erm...  thanks.  Stop looking sad."

And it never ends, because then later they either drop by or ask about the brushes.  And there's no point in trying to explain things, so I smear paint on them to fake a used look and say I "found a few uses for them".

This only perpetuates more awful gift brushes.  But I've spun too many lies now.  I'm in too deep to back out. 

It's like when people try to buy me beer as a present.  The four I like most (Kronenbourg, Nastro Azzurro, Tsingtao, Stella Artois) come in green bottles.  So instead of brands, people just assume I like things in green bottles.  Because green is weird and you like weird green things! 

Terrain and drybrushing

This reminds me, I need a new liner brush for panel lines. And maybe a filbert too.

I'm working through some of the Army Painter brushes I received as gifts. I know they aren't the best, but those triangular handles are very comfortable to me.

The Reaper Kolinskys are not bad. Generally the ones below size 0 seem best in my experience. The 5/0 is about equal to a W&N 00 in use. Not as long lived as the pricey brushes, say about 6 months with good care. I like them as an in-between brush where I need better than a synthetic but don't want to wear out my expensive kolinskys.

A zillion times better than the Escoda Reserva brushes I bought for the same price, if that helps.

• Like 3

I've had a bit better luck with my Reaper brushes. I am going on about 2 years. I use a #2 for quick base coats, and a #1 for a lot of general purpose work. I don't paint nearly to the volume that Buglips does, however. I find that the bristles on the RMS Kolinskys are not quite as long as I'd like, but they are not bad brushes. Especially for the price. 

• Like 1

Man my latest W&N must be one of the bad batches. It loves to split into 2's & 3's. The hairs don't feel right either. It's a shame as my first W&N is awesome! I use my Raphaels mostly. I may try some of the Rosemary and Co. Brushes.

I've got a few W&N S7 that I really love and use all the time. Mostly the 1 is my workhorse I've found out. I hear the 2 is a really good workhorse as well so I may need to break that one in soon as the 1 is getting old and starting to lose its point.

I went brush shopping again yesterday. I knew that one of the FLGS had some leftover W&Ns7 so I went there to see what was left. Unfortunately they were all size 3 & 4 which seemed too large for my uses (Plus the $50 price tag was more than I wanted to spend) so I went with one of the Sable Reaper Pro Brushes. They also had some Reaper Golden Takylon brushes but I didn't need any more synthetics, I wanted to try something else.

I gave it a workout yesterday using it to paint one of my bones collction. It was definately a different feel and it seemed to keep a pont better than my synthetics most of the time. I did have a couple hairs get out of line but a quick dip in water and a roll on my pallet plate seemed to put it back where it belonged. If need be I have no issue trimming a brush (something my pinstriping brush needs from time to time). I would definately buy another one but mabey a smaller version. I got a #1 which seems just a little bigger than I usually use. They were out of #0 but I think that would be the best size for my painting style. If my local Blick ever gets the W&Ns7 in stock again I may get one to try out since I have access to coupons an teacher discounts...

• Like 1