theleast

77102: Ebonwrath (A Study in Obsidian)

Given how helpful I found my Pathfinder Red Dragon WIP Thread, I've decided to start a new one for my next large project: Ebonwrath!

Here he is assembled:

post-12524-0-83095300-1395737127.jpg

And here's a base. I started with a Renedra 120mm Elipse platic base, then built it up with cork, glue, sand and bonsai stones.

post-12524-0-09374400-1395737130.jpg

Here's the final assembly:

post-12524-0-24540400-1395737133_thumb.jpg

I added a little more corck to support his feet, as he doesn't sit perfectly flat, and added green stuff to his joins and the base.

For a colour scheme, I decided to stick with making him a panther-like black dragon, but I wanted to experiment with lighting a bit. I've settled on an obsidian theme - high contrast, gleaming skylight from above contrasted with gold and red lava flame from below.

Here's a mock-up I did in Photoshop:

post-12524-0-70455500-1395737136_thumb.jpg

Next step: Base coat! I'm glad I bought a spare bottle of Pure Black...

• Like 20

You've made an EXCELLENT start on the Beasty. It will be a pleasure watching the developments. Have FUN with it all!

Very cool idea, I'm very interested to know how this turns out.

I'm flattered and humbled by all the interest, thank you all!

Base coat is done:

post-12524-0-04338200-1395823326.jpg

So he's black now. Not much else to say about that, except that base-coats are hard to photograph, and no matter how much paint I slap down I always seem to miss a spot.

Oh, I also prepped his eyes:

post-12524-0-84959000-1395823328.jpg

They're going to have the same fiery colour scheme as the base.

Tomorrow I head to The Tin Soldier (local hobby store) to look for a good shade of deep red. I like VJ's "Burnt Cadmium Red", but it's a bit too glossy for my taste. I'm hoping to find something with a more matte finish.

• Like 10

Might I suggest starting the lava/fire area before the body? Since it looks like you'll be using yellow to orange to red to brown to black, it would be a crying shame should some of the brighter colours accidentally wind up on some finished scale area.

Bonsai stones? Look like pea pebbles to me.

Edited by scorpio616

The first stage of the lava glow is done:

post-12524-0-81081400-1395895841.jpgpost-12524-0-63712100-1395895844.jpg

Pure Black > Splattered Crimson

I haven't bothered with colour-correction, so ignore how yellow/brown everything is :)

Washes for the base, so the colour settles into the cracks, and regular brushwork for the dragon, so the cracks stay black. Next step is to continue building the red to orange and then to yellow using the same techniques. When these colours are done, I'll carefully drybrush the base back to black again.

Might I suggest starting the lava/fire area before the body? Since it looks like you'll be using yellow to orange to red to brown to black, it would be a crying shame should some of the brighter colours accidentally wind up on some finished scale area.

I'm doing the base and body simultaneously to save on paint, but yes, I'll have to be careful. Since the base is just washes until the final layer, I'm not too worried about it.

Bonsai stones? Look like pea pebbles to me.

Well Bunnings (Australian hardware franchise) stocks them in Bonsai supplies :P
  • Like 14

I've now layered the underglow up to orange:

post-12524-0-28788200-1395993607.jpgpost-12524-0-64385700-1395993612_thumb.jpg

Pure Black > Splattered Crimson > Lava Orange

It took another four layers to move from red to orange with thinned and mixed colours. I'm hand-painting the dragon now (no more dry-brushing), and then using the brightest shade as a wash on the base:

post-12524-0-47257200-1395993618.jpg

The base will look much better when I re-blacken the rocks.

Next step: From Laval Orange to Sun Yellow...

• Like 14

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      Wyrmgear the Clockwork Dragon was a part of the very first Bones kickstarter back in 2012. It has been standing around unpainted and semi-assembled on my Dragon shelf (the top one with extra space for all the wings and such) several years. Some time ago, I pulled it off the shelf and started rusting it up.
      And it did not look good. So I put it back on the shelf.
      And took it down again after some time, did some more rusting. And still it did not look any good.
      And some of this was down to the pristine, straight and flat wings. The wings are made in a much harder / more rigid plastic than the rest of the Bones. They might be polystyrene, but could  just as well be the same Bonesium PVC with less plasticiser. Whatever the case is, the wings are really hard and totally non-flexible.
      So I cut them up with scissors and took those wings outside behind the garage and burned them with fire!
      My trusty lighter delivered flaming retribution to those wings, letting me bend and scrunch them a bit.
      So, with the stiff and pristine wings dealt with, it was time for some more paint.
      None of the earlier paint jobs were any good, in the end I dumped a bunch of Citadel Nihilakh Oxide all over it, drybrushed a bunch of different bronzes, golds and greenish steel. The wing "cloth" is based on Citadel Ionrach Skin, Reaper Vampiric Shadow and a whole buch of other paints, shades and inks.

Pics below the clicky bit

• By Kangaroorex
      Well, I did it.  We now have a cute little Christmas scene with mama Blightfang and her wee ones getting ready for the holidays!  A little early for some holiday cheer but it was fun 

Learned a few things: don't use wood glue to hold down snow it gives a disturbing yellow cast.  Blightfangs scales are actually leaves, making her more of a forest dragon than a classic green, and I think one of her children was adopted...

I really had a lot of fun with this, even if it wasn't my best work.  It came out well.  I really like the red and teal fades on the wings.

I hope everyone enjoys this little window into the holidays...

and one more thing.  Although it shows off the teal wings really well and it's an adventurers favorite view, the backside of a dragon is not the most exciting!

• By dks
      Sorry for being away from the Forum for so long.

So ... how does one pronounce "peryton"? 
      I've usually said it like "keratin" (stress on the first syllable), but I suppose it could rhyme with "enlighten" (stress on the second syllable) instead.
      I realized only weeks ago that I had been mispronouncing "wyvern" all my life, and the first syllable is long like "five", not short like "shiv".

Anyway...
      I taught a class called "Fur, Feathers, and Scales" class at ReaperCon 2018.
      I used the Bones peryton as a demonstration, because of the big feathered wings.
      The first-edition Monster Manual gives the coloration of a peryton as blue-black head, black horns, green wings, and blue chest (male) or drab chest (female).
      I showed my students pictures of real hawks and falcons, most of which have dark tips on their wing feathers, and sometimes a series of dark stripes. 
      Then I painted one of the peryton's wings to have stripes like that (black on green).

Now I've decided to paint the whole figure, to at least a good tabletop standard.
      I attached it to a 50mm round base, sculpted some extra rocks, and sculpted the skeleton of a past victim (a Reaper pewter skull, plus bones made from putty).
      Perytons bite the hearts out of their prey, so I made the skeleton's ribcage open/broken in front.

Here's how my version looked after I spent 2 hours slapping on Black Brush-on Primer and White Brush-on Primer, to establish the overall values.
      The primer didn't fully cover the striped green wing from my ReaperCon class.

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By Xiwo Xerase
      This was originally not one a mini I planned to paint.  However, I got two in an auction lot and the base fits well with one of my few base stamps (in this case, the Happy Seppuku Stone Shore stamp) so... why not?

(click for larger versions)

This is the state she is in now.  She's been primed and a thin coat of Brown Liner (1 part Wash Medium, 1 part Brown Liner, 1 part water) has been painted on top to bring out details.  (I found a mold line I missed on the side of her knee and relined her legs with a thicker coat of Brown Liner, because I forgot the original mix.  The thicker mix is not likely to obscure detail when painting but it does make it harder to see in these pictures.  Oops.)

(Note to self: Get a non-grey background for these pictures in the future.)

I've decided her doublet, pants, boots, and gloves are leather.  Her doublet and pants are stitched in the front and are worn over more normal clothes.  (Both her doublet and pants have obvious stitching in the front and the alternative is undesirable in a family friendly environment.)  Her shirt includes her loose poofy sleeves.  (Which are probably good for a rogue since they mask the shape of her arms.)  I believe the most interesting detail missing from her store page is her knife holster on her left leg.

I wasn't entirely sure what to use for colors so I did a mockup using my paint program.  The knife in her holster will not be visible from this side but I included them to get an idea for how they would look.

(click for a larger version)

The current colors are: (all paints are Reaper MSP or Bones)
      Skin: Youthful Flesh Hair: Blond Hair Doublet, boots, and knife handles: Ruddy Leather Pants and gloves: Nut Brown Belt, stitches, and other leather accents: Leather Brown Shirt and sleeves: Dark Elf Skin Blades: This is one of the colors from the Blade Steel swatch Floor: Dungeon Grey  
      The focuses for this mini are her face, her hair, textures (leather and wood), and NMM for the metal bits.  Let's see how this goes.
    • By Guildenstern
      Been working pretty steadly though bad about keeping up pics!

Did these guys (mostly done) in January. They are GW minis from the Battle at Pelennor Fields Lords of the Ring starter set.

I started on these guys closer to end of the month, as well:

They're for my Luna Wolves, first guy is the Terminator sarge (which I'm painting along with some other terminators from the Burning of Prospero box set)

This guy is a resin cast Apothecary from FW I bought off ebay - he's got a pretty bad mold slip along one leg, but otherwise is a really cool model. I'm trying to paint his little vials and bottles to be more realistic like glass full of ... well, something. He has a lot of detail on him!

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 365 Guests (See full list)