Auberon

Auberon's Learning to Paint w/ Bones

If those are first attempts you've got nothing to worry about. They are very nice. Heck of a lot better than red plastic tokens, and nothing to be ashamed of on the table. 

• Like 2

Definitely better than red plastic tokens.  I think you have great tabletop figures! These are certainly well done for a set of first attempts.

• Like 1

These aren't bad at all! I suppose it all comes down to what you want to achieve. I will say that this is an awesome place to learn and a great community to get feedback from. It's great to have access to so many talented people who are generous with their knowledge. It seems that many of us started by working through the Reaper Learn To Paint kits (I still have one to work through... ahem!) They'll definitely add to that great work you already have going on. In fact, it looks like you've probably already painted more figures than I have, and I started last November. Like I said, it's all in what you wish to achieve. Some, like myself, don't game, and simply paint for pleasure and to see how good of a painting/basing/professional look we can get. Others paint large numbers of miniatures for tabletop, and thus aren't as concerned with the level of detail. Take a look around, look at WIP's (Work In Progress) usually located under these posts in red, and you'll definitely pick up skill and ideas. Welcome to the great, fascinating, and sometimes frustrating (RUFFLES!!!) world of miniatures!

• Like 1

Welcome to the board and the zany world of watching pain dry! Those are great tabletop minis, I would not be ashamed to have those on my gaming table.

• Like 1

WELCOME ABOARD! You are a natural; some shading & highlights with a bit of detailing are all that you need to do...they'll come along with practice. GREAT START!

Tip #1: don't be intimidated by the minis; there is virtually nothing you can do paint-wise that can't be corrected. With a quick Simple Green soak & brush you've got a good-as-new mini to try it again.

You're off to a great start!

RE: the skeletons--I'm not a fan of the skull on the archers either; I hacked 'em off and glued on some replacements.

I'm pretty sure the left hand spearman is the white primered one.

Keep up the good work.

re:  Skeletons:  Left one is primered white.  The shield and light tones for the bones are what makes me think this.  The one on the right's shield is a little more vibrant, for a rusty old thing, which tends to be a hallmark of priming black (let alone the recesses are really dark). 

Again, good work, keep it up and you'll be an expert soon!

All right, this will be my last post of any substance for a few days; if you've never worked 48hrs over a weekend, it leaves little time for painting. :down:  But to continue from last time, more experimenting with grass!  I did know enough to seal them before adding the grass, so any blades of grass that you see on them are easily removable.

Arthrand Nightblade - How much grass can a person fit on a base, and what will it look like?  Don't think I'll go that far again.  He was also an experiment on shading white with blue and blue by mixing in white.  I also wanted his face to look like it was in deep shadows, which is why it is darker than the hands.

post-13211-0-31080900-1397160904.jpgpost-13211-0-59651000-1397160899.jpg

Danar & Feiya - These two were to be the rogue and witch for our Pathfinder game.  I rushed to finish them, but something came up and we didn't play.  Then my 13th Age book came in and I gave everyone the spiel, which killed off Pathfinder and a possible return to 4E.  So they have yet to be used.  The grass was intentionally blotchy, just to see what it would look like.  Doesn't work very well on its own

post-13211-0-20043400-1397160908.jpgpost-13211-0-73960700-1397160911.jpg

post-13211-0-95101100-1397160917.jpgpost-13211-0-24106700-1397160915.jpg

Snakeman Warrior - Just a drop of glue here and there

post-13211-0-45865500-1397160932.jpgpost-13211-0-59619300-1397160929.jpg

Lizardman Warrior - Ok, so this guy didn't get any grass, but he was painted over the same time period and gets posted with the others.  I kinda like this sculpt, so if I ever need a lizardman army I might pick up a few more of him.  Also of note, if you've made it this far, is that he and the snakeman both used the same pallet for their scales.  The difference? Prime black vs. directly on the bones.

post-13211-0-92440400-1397160925.jpgpost-13211-0-44721100-1397160921.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 19

Hey, you're off to a great start. You're making better progress through your minions than I have. I've got the rats and the kobolds done. Orcs are next for me, I picked up the Orcpocalypse pack, so I have a few to go.