joshuaslater

Dragon Bait Indie Go Go

I've run three very successful Indiegogo campaigns using the flexible funding option (The Egyptian Harem Miniatures range).  What this option does for the person running the campaign is allow them to use some of the funds they raise immediately - this can be a god-send if your working with a very tight budget and still need to pay for some production costs such as moulding and casting.  Payments made by credit card are not available to the person running the campaign until two weeks after the campaign ends.  I think that flexible funding sometimes sounds a bit sinister because the reason behind it is not fully understood.  Having said that there have been some campaigns which have either failed to deliver the goods or have taken an unbelievably long time in doing so (but this is something that has happened on both Indiegogo and Kick-starter).  In the case of this campaign, Dragon Bait Miniatures Fantasy Adventurers - I can assure you that you will get the miniatures that you contribute for, even if it does not reach its funding goal (which I will be surprised if it does not).  I did the concept art for Joe on these models and have been working with Kev Adams in explaining the images as he sculpts - they are actually well on the way to being completed and are going to be cast at Griffin Moulds, which produce very high quality miniatures (they do the casting for Hasslefree, Otherworld and a number of other excellent companies).  I've known Joe a very long time (over 30 years) and I know how dedicated he is to seeing this project through - to include getting everyone their figures.  He has come up with some really great old-school style miniatures, full of character, incredible detail and a good dose of humour - I love the sausages and bread hanging out of the clerics back-pack.  I'm sure Joe would appreciate the support if you contribute to the campaign and I'm certain you will receive them in a timely manner - Otherwise me and Kev will get on a plane to America and pinch him really hard until he does ;) lol

• Like 5

I wanted to point out there's a few more greens posted on it now, including the adorable half-Orc Druid and his delicious animal companion.

You know, looking at this again, I actually find the campaign a little irritating. This is basically lumping three random miniatures with no real thematic connection beyond "they're old school" into a pack, which feels not here, not there.

Not here: In a range of individual miniatures, I'd expect to be able to buy individual miniatures. That's basically what I've always done with lines of character miniatures. When I bought miniatures in groups of three, it was always packs that made thematic sense - like Ral Partha's Thieves' Guild, Reaper's Lizard Man Command or even the Egyptian Harem eunuchs. 

Not there: It's not some kind of adventuring party boxed set with just three miniatures. All twelve of them would be. Does the full set come as a boxed set, then?

Bottom line: I really hope these random three-figure packs are for the IGG only. Because frankly, they make no sense, and I can't imagine them being good for business long-term. Heck, I'm going to say it, they may not be even be good for the IGG.

Your points are extremely valid Arkady and thank you for giving me a chance to explain why I did things. 

If I sold the range as a boxed set (Which I preferred) I would have lost a lot of sales because people are not going to spend that much on pewter. Overseas shipping is crazy and the additional costs and weight of doing the box and art like old Grenadier were just not in the budget. Sans a fancy box I have tried to make buying the full set a great option.

If I chose singles than the mould costs would have sky rocketed. I was uncomfortable with this as well because the success of the miniatures was unknown, and I really had nothing to judge it on being my first.  

I finally decided to break the set into four packs. Each pack had a main line fighter and two support characters. Keeping in mind that having only twelve to choose from, I am not sure I could generate any sort of theme behind them. But they would be more affordable.

Very sorry for your irritation, I'm sure being a rookie and limited funding have a lot to do with it.

Thanks for your patience.

Joe Corsaro,

Dragon Bait Miniatures  

• Like 3

Indiegogo needs a reminder button. Especially since they charge right away. I will most likely back this, but not for a couple weeks when I have some disposable income. I'd hate to miss a project because I forgot about it.

I see they added an additional perk for overseas backers called the Kev Adams Fan Club, with reduced shipping, so you can get the set of 12 for $72 (it was $80).

@Mr Squig: The word Hobbit is trademarked by the Tolkien estate, which is why the term was switched to halfling in D&D and other gaming systems. You might want to do the same before someone notices and complains.

Thanks for the explanation of why there's these random three-packs. I don't have to like it, but I can appreciate the explanation sounds reasonable. It's a shame about not having a truly old school boxed set, and I think I'll now have to go dig up some old Grenadier stuff to piant just because...

I really hope the new international sweet spot pledge will help this along - it surely should make things more attractrive for those who were in on one of the Egyptian Harem campaigns and have an idea of what to expect stylistically.

Myself, I'll need to see how finances look when the campaign draws closer to a close. Since the three figs I like are all in different packs, getting the whole set if possible seems like the better choice.

That reminds me: if bad comes to worse, I'll have to consider getting three Lone Heroes and thus I noticed the campaign could do with info on shipping if getting multiple perks.

And Suden's right, the hobbit term is a problem. I can't see you getting by on fair use if this were to go to court.

• Like 1

I have been resisting this but my resolve is weakening.  He has all the greens (and may in fact have the finished minis in hand if I am understanding the latest updates) and there is some major charm going on with these figures.  I love the sense of fun.

He also has introduced an overseas shipping pledge of $72 for those who were concerned about those costs.  Not sure if it will manage to meet any stretch goals but at the very least the minis should deliver promptly.

Damnit, I had almost managed to forget about this one. They're nice, I especially like the Cleric, the two Half-Orcs (Druid and Fighter) and the Elf Fighter, so that's exactly one from each pack. Sigh. 13 more days to think about it.

What was said about the stretch goals? I see that the two stretch goal minis (Halfling Butler and pig-with-hat) have already been sculpted; will they be included in some perks?

Also, are the bases integral?

• Like 1

Damnit, I had almost managed to forget about this one. They're nice, I especially like the Cleric, the two Half-Orcs (Druid and Fighter) and the Elf Fighter, so that's exactly one from each pack. Sigh. 13 more days to think about it.

What was said about the stretch goals? I see that the two stretch goal minis (Halfling Butler and pig-with-hat) have already been sculpted; will they be included in some perks?

Also, are the bases integral?

Yeah I like those ones too.  The Cleric is great.  But those crazy halflings are something else.  As far as I can tell (I could be wrong) the stretch goals sculpts (and maybe castings too) are done, but won't be included unless the amount of funding is met.  The separate boar comes first and the butler later.  The boar is what I am interested in.  And in the photos of the painted minis the bases are integral.  I am just guessing based on what I have read/seen.

Here is what he says in a recent comment:

"At 3000 the druids boar will be released as a separate model. At 4000 I am releasing the Halfling butler. These will be free to any who purchased the complete set of twelve miniatures. There will be a perk at 5000 but with limited resources I am still not set what it will be."

The small scale of this appeals to me: the latest update says he has the castings and is bagging them up and will send them out within a week of the end of the project  The small number of backers indicates this may actually be feasible. 

So now I see the benefits of flexible funding: he doesn't have to sit around on his thumbs throughout the campaign.  He can be getting to work immediately. 

Thanks for the reminder. They are now $65 closer to their goal. ::):

Hey, I'm glad to be an enabler. 

Hmm ... things seem to have picked up over night.  Maybe that Boar is within reach after all.

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder
  • Like 1

The last update has a scale comparison of the cleric with a Reaper sorcerer and an Otherworld mage. I don't recognize the Reaper mini, so I don't know which is which, but the scale seems pretty close.

20140502044613-DSCN2617__2_.jpg

Some nice painted examples in the gallery as well. It looks like the halfling has a kender staff-sling. The candle and pipe are cool as well.

20140506083507-DSCN2623.JPG20140505021917-DSCF2014.JPG

Tons of great detail on these, like the cleric's sausage links and mug, and the wizard's familiar.

20140502044522-DSCN2615__2_.jpg?1399031120140506082614-Mage_behind.jpg?139938997

• Like 1

Funding is at $2630 this morning.   Five days left.

From the latest update:

As an added incentive I have decided to combine the two stretch goal rewards in this campaign.  When the campaign goal of $3000 is reached everyone who purchased a complete set of the 12 Fantasy Adventurers will receive both the Half-orc Druid’s boar and the Halfling butler!  Better than a poke-in-the-eye! 

Trying to cut down on spending at the moment but I keep thinking about this one.