Jasper_the_2nd

Painting Contest - Be a Spaceship Superstar! (ends Sept 7th, 2014)

The Story - Two years ago, a friend, who used to run a gaming store, asked if I wanted all his old minis left from when he closed the store, since they were just taking up space. As I have no willpower, I said sure. He said there might be 3 or 4 Diamond boxes worth.  There ended up being 9 boxes...

Fast forward to last year, when the Kickstarters started rolling in. I now have even more minis I will never really have time to paint. So what to do with all these minis in the boxes?  Well, I could sell some on ebay or something , but that sounds like work. So how about I give some away? 

I started by giving Cartmanis's son a few figs to paint.  Then used some blister packs as packaging material for Secret Sophie.  Still an awful lot of stuff, running out of room for KS stuff.  How about I do a contest?  A Sci-Fi contest, because I've got a ton of Sci-Fi stuff, I really like Sci-Fi stuff, and I don't see enough Sci-Fi stuff being done on the site.

So, here we are. Paint up some cool Sci-Fi stuff and, if you place, you'll get to pick out some (hopefully) cool Sci-Fi stuff and I'll send it to you.

TL;DR - I have way too many Sci-Fi figs that I will never paint.  Paint up something Sci-Fi and maybe I'll send you some.

Contest rules:

-- the theme is Science Fiction.  Any Sci-Fi is good.  But if you want to do cowboys, they had better be Space Cowboys, and there coats had better be brown.

-- entries can be of any manufacturer, or sculpt your own.  

-- any figure which was painted and finished between May 1st and the deadline is eligible

-- the deadline for entries is September 7, 2014 at 11:59 pm CST

-- you may enter as many times as you like, but only one prize per person will be awarded

-- each entry needs to be uploaded to the appropriate thread. Please attach your entries using the forum uploading feature or hotlink from the Inspiration Gallery. We want to make sure they're visible at all times.

-- you may submit between one and four images of each Squad or Single Figure entry and up to six images for Diorama. They do not need to be stitched into a single image file.

-- you are allowed to enter miniatures that will also be entered into other contests that might overlap this one.

-- the judges or Reaper reserves the right to remove entries if deemed inappropriate, but we're pretty laid back here and this is just to cover our butts.

-- the judges and Reaper can clarify and amend rules at will.

Categories:

There are three categories, Diorama, Squad and Single Figure

Diorama:

A Diorama is defined as two or more figures on a scenic base that helps to tell as story.  

Judging Criteria -- The over all possible score for each entry is 100 points.  The judges will look at the following when deciding:

Composition: layout, how well it tells a story, etc  -- 50 points

Painting Skill -- 25 points

Overall Presentation of the miniature (basing, colors used, and so on) -- 25 pts 

Squad:

A Squad is defined as 4 or more figures painted as a cohesive unit.

Judging Criteria -- The over all possible score for each entry is 100 points.  The judges will look at the following when deciding:

Cohesion: how well the unit ties together  -- 50 points

Overall Presentation of the miniature (basing, colors used, and so on) -- 25 pts 

Single Figure:

A Single Figure is just that, one fig, any size. A vehicle with a driver/rider would be a single fig, but a vehicle with a crew would better fit in squad or diorama.

Judging Criteria -- The over all possible score for each entry is 50 points.  The judges will look at the following when deciding:

The Prizes:

post-8239-0-48715300-1398896434_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-16767100-1398896453_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-11606500-1398896464_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-71050500-1398896442_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-68684100-1398896473_thumb.jpg

The items I have available are mostly VOID and Warzone figures, including a number of box sets. There may also be a few Sci-Fi items from Star Wars and some really old TSR Gamma World stuff. I will likely split the items up into categories, so a winner may get to pick one from the "boxed sets" list and X from the "Blister packs" list (for example).  I reserve the right to throw more stuff in the box if there is room after packing your picks.

Picks will be done by where you placed, in the order of Diorama, Squad and then Single.  So 1st place Diorama will pick first, 1st place Squad will pick second and so forth.

The prizes in each category:

1st place - picks: 2 Large and 20 Small

2nd place - picks: 1 Large and 16 Small

3rd place - picks: 1 Large and 12 Small

lucky drawing - picks: 1 Large and 8 Small

Best Reaper - Reaper provided award for the best all Reaper entry - $15 Reaper Gift Certificate, plus I'm going to throw in 4 Small picks (just cause I'm like that)

See attached pdf for complete list of picks available.

Image Enhancement:

-- digital enhancement ("Photoshopping") of your entry is strictly prohibited.

-- no clone brush, healing brush, airbrush, or other brush work. Fix your paint with paint, not with Photoshop.

-- no adding or removing background elements from the image

-- cropping, global color balance, and global level adjustments are allowed ("global" means "the entire image." You may not "pop" colors by only selecting some areas for level adjustment. )
Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 21

Not a sci-fi guy for painting minis, but I like participating in things on this site so it'd give me a reason to paint up some chronoscope and other things that I normally wouldn't. Sounds fun!

• Like 7

I'll note that Jasper is running this show but I'm facilitating the judging.  I plan on unofficially entering something so I can get my ribbon...... :ph34r:

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 10

I'm in!  I was going to paint a CAV for the memorial so it's a two-fer.

And also for those thinking of going to RCon next year the theme is some sort of Sci-Fi.  So It could be a three-fer.

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 8

Great Googly Moogly, I had no idea. ::o:

I enjoy painting outside my comfort zone -- I've just gotten a few CAV things, unlike anything I painted before -- so maybe I join this too, yes?

• Like 6

Ooh... star frontiers old blisters.

I may have to dust off sci-fi Sophie for a piece of this action.

That is... brilliant!

• Like 3

Well I guess that "starship crew" I've had primed and gathering dust on my paint table is finally going to see a brush. 

• Like 9

I have a "Not Maj Kusinagi" that arrived in the mail a short while ago.

I might see if I can find a "Not Bateau" for a diorama.

Anybody know where I can find a "Not Tachicoma"?  I would prefer a non-self-aware model if available. :poke:

• Like 6

Sure, I have some spiffy chronoscopes. Maye I'll paint my bionic gorilla.

And holy carp! You have a LOT of minis!  ::o:

• Like 5

Good point about the bionic gorilla.  It might be about time I wrangled my cybermonkey.

This single figure entry is quickly morphing into a diorama. 

• Like 8

Good point about the bionic gorilla.  It might be about time I wrangled my cybermonkey.

This single figure entry is quickly morphing into a diorama. 

IMEF vs. Cyber Gorilla! GOGOGO!

• Like 7

The prospect of star wars minis makes me want to do this...I've been hoarding the models and micro machines so this would be awesome

• Like 5