Sign in to follow this  
fishnjeeps

Valeros, Iconic Fighter

My FLGS had a painting class last week so I went to check it out. I chose this guy to paint for the class which wasn't the best choice as he has quite a few fiddely bits that took a while to basecoat. However I finished him once I was home and he now is sitting in my display case. He's not my bestest work ever but I'd call it a decent tabletop quality. Though I did try to do some layering on one part of his clothing and it seems to look better than other attempts so there's that.

0505141433_zps783ce6cb.jpg

0505141434_zpsbf4f7f1c.jpg

• Like 14

Getting the paint in the right places if half the battle. Now that you have good brush control you can work on layering.

What you put paint on this mini? Damn you beat me I haven't even got that far yet!  Looks great!

Good job, two things that I would do (my opinion, no biggy)

1) The arrows, use a little black or brown for the shaft and paint the feather part something other than yellow so it doesn't look like his hair.

2)  The wrap type stuff on the bow and quiver, maybe different color (red, blue, darker brown, black)or black/brown wash

• Like 1

What you put paint on this mini? Damn you beat me I haven't even got that far yet!  Looks great!

Good job, two things that I would do (my opinion, no biggy)

1) The arrows, use a little black or brown for the shaft and paint the feather part something other than yellow so it doesn't look like his hair.

2)  The wrap type stuff on the bow and quiver, maybe different color (red, blue, darker brown, black)or black/brown wash

Thanks! Keep in mind I missed both Bones kickstarters so I'm just buying them 20 at a time and painting them up.

This guy was incredibly rushed due to the way the class was and I really should have picked something else instead. I'll do him again later and take more time on him. 

1.) I noticed the arrows right after I posted this. The hair could also use a wash to give it depth.

2.) I see what you mean and I should do something there as well.

Honestly I got fed up with painting him and since he was covered fully with paint i based him and called him done. I may go back later and touch up those couple things.

The one thing I did get from the class was an in person look at how thin to make my paints for layering. I attempted it on the blue section to the left of the mug on this guy and it turned out well enough. Now I'm trying to do it again on other figures.

Thanks for all the comments, They help believe me.

• Like 1

I got ya dude, you know minis are never finished it always seems possible to add more paint.  Because a mini isn't finished until it looks like Buglips!

I have 5 minis with paint that are 75% done, have been that way for over half a year and may or may not get done, they are so frustrating to work on.  I have 5 "easy" minis that are taking a month at the moment.

When I see your name I want to eat fish n chips!

• Like 1

I understan the lots of mini's issue. I tend to buy more than I can keep up with painting (but really who doens't)

Fish n chips are the inspiration for my screen name. I just happen to like Jeeps a lot. Though I have to sell my current one soon. I haven't driven it in over a year and a half and it doesn't run right now. Been too busy enjoying the bike to waste a nice day on fixing th Jeep...

• Like 1

I have this bones and cant bring myself to paint it.  The face and posture of the model is so weird, like he is just swinging wildly in the dark without looking like a spaz.

Edited by Ted Kord

I have this bones and cant bring myself to paint it. The face and posture is so weird, like he is just swinging wildly in the dark without looking like a spaz.

Can always use him as basing material... Just sayin'

I have this bones and cant bring myself to paint it.  The face and posture of the model is so weird, like he is just swinging wildly in the dark without looking like a spaz.

It appears to me that the sculpt is based off of the cover to the Pathfinder core rulebook.  He has a very angry red dragon to swing at.  ::):

• Like 1

I see him as looking up at something while in the tail end of swinging his sword. Him fightin the red dragon would make sense then...

• Like 1

Yep, that's exactly what it's modeled after.

For reference...

pathfinder-rpg-core-book.jpg

...which also explains the iconic sorceress' pose, come to think of it.
  • Like 1

For reference...

Yep, and the iconic red dragon's pose as well.

Hmm maybe time to make that a diorama??

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

My only suggestion is for the eyes.  Sometimes it helps to run a little flesh tone across the upper third (Or upper fourth, depending on the look you like) of the eye to reduce the "wild" look.  In this guys case, the wild look is sort of appropriate considering his pose.  But in general, you know...

• Like 1

For reference...

Yep, and the iconic red dragon's pose as well.

Hmm maybe time to make that a diorama??

I'm on it! 

• Like 2