Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rom, Spaceknight

need some color suggestions

11 posts in this topic

As I type this, the first coat is drying on DH 2524, an evil elf cleric.

2524_G.jpg

Note I said "evil", not "drow" - she will have pale flesh. and metalic purple armor. (I don't like NMM.) I just can't decide what color to paint her cloak. What goes best with purple armor? and I'm open to suggestions about hair color, though I'm thinking something reddish-brown.

Metallic purple armor? And she is evil? Either a red cloak or a claok that is black would look awesome. I would go with hair that is either red brown or black.

Red and black are good choices as Enchantra suggested, or even a pale yellow.

go with a dark dark red that is boarding on black so from a distance you can't really tell it's red, then highlight the raised sections with a brighter red so that it seems to really be red in light. Should look sharp with the purple. Or, use a two tone cloak, Red on the inside of the cloak, black on the backside of the cloak.

depending on the purple:

deep peacock teal

true cobalt blue

or a good arterial blue tinged red.

My opinions anyway :;):

My favorite red cloaks were back in the days when Ral Partha made a paint called Blood Red, only available (back then) in a pack of 6 paints. I would base with RP Blood Red, then use a purple ink wash. So deep and rich!

If you can find RP Blood Red, you gotta try it out.

I think Orchid was right, I would do a test bit and see how a teal would look.

Though a grey would work too

I am going to get out my color wheeel..

Adam

I'd say a nice sharp Fire engine red... But I spent the last three days fighting with red, so....

How about a complimenting purple? Something like a Warlock Purple? Would that make it too purpley for you? (Can I say purple again in this paragraph!?)

Black is always an option, it'd probably look pretty sharp. Throw on some silver or white freehand work and it'd 'pop' really nice.

As another option, if you're going with pale skin, and the purple armor, how about white? A stark snow white, highlighting up (down?) to a VERY pale blue/grey (like the Space Wolf Grey by GW?) might contrast really well...

Bright yellow or silvery cloak, Irish red hair. Bone handle mace shaft. dark iron mace head-blood splattered [clear red or ink and brush on gloss]. Make the mace spike a bright Amethyst

Thanks everyone.

I'm trying that darker-than-dark red idea. but it's just coming out black. any tips? though I'm about ready to give up and just leave it black and drybrush it purple since the red may clash with the hair color I'm getting. (the hair is chestnut brown with highlights of a rusty red.)

(yeah, I know, "24 hours later..." You ever notice how much other work creeps up out of nowhere when you start to paint?)