TaleSpinner

Cyber Lady

It is not as much as it sounds.  I'm a very part time sculptor, having a full job and teen boys.  I can usually only sculpt for about 1 to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, unless there is an urgent need (like doing the furniture for KS II last Fall; that was intense).

Andy

I ordered the dungeon decor set.  Really looking forward to outfitting my HirstArts terrain with them.  

we ordered two, for much the same reason,only in our case it's Dwarven Forge. Just so you know Andy, any time you feel like sculpting more decor items, there is a market.

• Like 6

Thanks guys, I am very glad that so many people liked them.  I had fun doing those. I look forward to getting my own copies next Fall to go with my Dwarven Forge set. The issue as I understand it though is that they don't sell well at metals prices, but Bones is another story. That said, I'd gladly do more someday.  But right now, I need to focus on this one and a couple others I have on the cork for this summer. I'm working on armatures right now and plan on pushing putty on this lady starting tomorrow.

• Like 7

Rock on!  ::D:

Yeah the metal prices for furniture is prohibitive.  In Bonesium it's doable.  I've been in the process of "upgrading" my HQ for decades.  The new dungeon decor sets will be a huuuuge help.  Now I need someone with some Hirst Arts moulds to make the floors for me...  :blues:

• Like 6

I know someone who makes a bunch of hirst stuff, he's a forum member, and is going to produce for me a chess set in the near future. But I won't say who......

• Like 2

Well, she drew her first blood today, so we got that over with.  So far, every humanoid I have sculpted I have inadvertently stabbed myself in some way.  Today while putting my gear away after finishing her rib cage and pelvis, I shoved my scalpel to the bone in my middle finger.  Ow.  Nice thing about scalpel wounds though is they seal up with a few minutes of pressure.  So I've given blood for her now, the sweat and tears will come later I'm sure.  :rolleyes:

I should have pictures of today's progress up tonight.  I did her rib cage, pelvis, and knees.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I really hate pelvises.  They take forever to get right, but if you don't everything from the rib cage down looks derpy.

Andy

• Like 4

Just an FYI, for those following along. References to the business side of things, commissions, and clients have been trimmed as this is Reaper's site and we stepped over the "No Commerce" clause of the boards with that.  I want to personally apologize to the mod team for causing you extra work on my behalf.

To that point, let's please keep further discussions here about this sculpt.  :B):

Now, for some pictures.  Basic skeletal work is done:

post-140-0-58266800-1401251324.jpg post-140-0-00381000-1401251325.jpg

Have a great night,

Andy

• Like 14

One thing I should note on those last shots is that the pelvis is slightly wrong in the second shot (Rear).  Note the the upper right side is a bit too big.  I actually caught this when I took the picture and fixed it before the putty cured, but forgot to take more pictures.  Even so, that side may need a slight trim before putting on her thighs and gluts.

• Like 4

Wow. That's really cool that you actually model the skeletal structure first. I never would have thought of trying that (if ever I get to a point of trying to model an entire figure), yet it makes so much sense! With the skeletal structure in place and already cured you can't accidentally "squish" the whole shape you've painstakingly crafted with one accidentally misplaced elbow...

(Why yes, I have demolished a green stuff accessory that was curing on my art table by resting my pointy little elbow on it while working on a second piece. Why do you ask?)

Edited by MatrissaTheEnchantress
  • Like 8

Wow. That's really cool that you actually model the skeletal structure first. I never would have thought of trying that (if ever I get to a point of trying to model an entire figure), yet it makes so much sense! With the skeletal structure in place and already cured you can't accidentally "squish" the whole shape you've painstakingly crafted with one accidentally misplaced elbow...

(Why yes, I have demolished a green stuff accessory that was curing on my art table by resting my pointy little elbow on it while working on a second piece. Why do you ask?)

LOL, yeah, with me I usually end up grabbing something that was still wet while trying to get to a hard to reach area on another part of a fig.  I hate that because you can obliterate a hour of work in one careless second.

As for the skeleton, yeah, I always do this. I am a very anatomical sculptor.  It is just how I think.  I'd really suck if I just tried to sculpt the finished shape.  I tend to think in terms of bones, muscle groups, connective tissue, clothing layers, etc...  For me, it is all additive.  Some people like subtractive sculpting (hence the move by a lot to FIMO), but my brain doesn't seem to want to work that way.  I can't quite picture removing the "air" from around my figure, but I can grasp, "add a quad here and a hamstring there."

I was quite ill yesterday, but did manage to get some leg work in on her all the same.  I should have more to show you by the end of the weekend.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 9

Ah, so this is where you hang out on the forums these days; I should have known to check here earlier!  ::):  Really cool work, and I can't wait to see her come together!

• Like 5

Legs, Suit, and Shoulder Girdle:

post-140-0-80189200-1402971079.jpg post-140-0-46310600-1402971080.jpg

I sculpted very thin legs and small feet first, then let them cure.  Then I sculpted her thighs out to the power suit level, and cut in the suit details.  Today, I added collar bones and roughed in the scapulae to give definition to the shoulder area. Something is a bit off between the left scapula and the rib cage, so I'll have to look into that later.  I also added the pleating of the suit down the backs of her calves.  The knee and shin guards and shoes will overlap this area and give it a more finished look.  Right now she's looking pretty bad, so I hope you can all see where I am going with her.

Sorry it had been so long since my last update.  I had gotten a bit of sculptor's block on this sculpt for a few weeks and finished something else instead.  Then yesterday, I had an epiphany on how to proceed and move forward with no more hesitation.  I should be on to the shin guards, shoes, and knee pads next.

Andy

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 17

I also want to add a note about the size of this mini.  It is hard to convey just how small and dainty she is. After being used to Reaper scale these past 10 years, going back to 25mm is a bit eye opening.  She'll be 25 to 26 mm to the top of the head (not to the eyes) making her about 5' tall when compared to a 6' tall Reaper mini.  For an idea of what I am talking about, note that she is standing on a standard sized wine cork. To quote Jim Butcher, "She's tiny, but fierce!"

To give you another scale reference, see those pleats on the back of her legs.  The pictures make them look big, but in RL they made me go cross-eyed. Each one is less than a 1/2 mm.

(To clarify, I'm NOT complaining about the scale here. I really like doing this size as a challenge and change of pace. I just wanted you all aware that a lot of the micro details you can see in these highly magnified images are not even visible with my optivisor on.)

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 9

She's coming along!  I'll have to start really following this thread, now that I know about it.  I love your WIPs!

• Like 2