TaleSpinner

Cyber Lady

Maybe I'll just put out a "Free Heads" bin at the the next ReaperCon.  :rolleyes:  I have 4 or five left over from the Visitation as well.

Your station just became my first stop at RCon '15.

Actually, I'd go for just about any kind of "closet but not quite right" reject parts.  ^_^

• Like 5

I'm totally bummed right now.  Only thing to do is start the head over again and remember to measure it this time.  :unsure:

Painful lessons are certainly painful, but they're also the most instructive.  Hang in there!  I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

• Like 3

Maybe I'll just put out a "Free Heads" bin at the the next ReaperCon.  :rolleyes:  I have 4 or five left over from the Visitation as well.

Actually, I'd go for just about any kind of "closet but not quite right" reject parts.  ^_^

Really?  I guess I should stop pitching them then.

• Like 6

Actually, I'd go for just about any kind of "close but not quite right" reject parts.  ^_^

Well, consider that a head that is well sculpted, but wrong-sized for a particular figure may become the basis for a head-swap conversion on some other project with just a bit of extra work.

I'm less certain about rejected hands, or other body parts, but I'll bet somebody could find a use.

• Like 3

Actually, I'd go for just about any kind of "close but not quite right" reject parts.  ^_^

Well, consider that a head that is well sculpted, but wrong-sized for a particular figure may become the basis for a head-swap conversion on some other project with just a bit of extra work.

I'm less certain about rejected hands, or other body parts, but I'll bet somebody could find a use.

Anytime I chop something off a mini for a conversion, I hack up whatever's left of the source figure for spare body parts - if I don't use them on another conversion, I can almost always find a way to add them to a base as details... No matter if your rejected parts are too big or too small for your current project, they're always the right size for something else.

Every so often I like to dig through the bits I have and assemble something out of spare parts like I'm playing with LEGOs.

• Like 5

Torso:

I detailed the Torso and added gear.  The blaster took several sessions.  I did not do anything that touches the shoulders as they will be done with the arms next.  I'll be starting the arms tomorrow.  If I can keep this pace I should be finished with her by the end of next week.

(The color really came out poorly in these pictures; it doesn't even look green.  I tried a different way of lighting it, but I don't like the results.)

post-140-0-91786600-1406687183.jpg post-140-0-33664600-1406687184.jpg

post-140-0-74041200-1406687184.jpg post-140-0-11275100-1406687185.jpg

post-140-0-50968500-1406687185.jpg

Andy

• Like 13

To photograph your sculpts, try this.

And looking really good, there, Andy!

Do you have any commissions for male figures?  You've only ever sculpted females, monsters, and animals, so far, haven't you?

To photograph your sculpts, try this.

And looking really good, there, Andy!

Do you have any commissions for male figures?  You've only ever sculpted females, monsters, and animals, so far, haven't you?

I'll have to try that for a finished piece.  The shots I take for WIPS are quick and dirty, taken at my work bench.  I don't want to take the time to setup the light studio at home.

Thanks.

No commissions for male figures yet, just lots more animals and a monster (Ammut; the client has announced that I am working on that, so I can share).  I do have an armature for a male figure made for a concept of my own, but it is sitting on the sidelines at least until ReaperCon time frame next spring.

As a further note, I've had a couple slow sculpting days the last two.  Work was super busy yesterday so I didn't get my usual lunch session in.  Also I am off the Prednisone now and back to being wiped out after work.  I did get a nap in yesterday and so was able to get a start on her arms after supper.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 5

Wow, can't believe how long it's been since I posted.  I did a lot on her since the last post.  Sorry about that.

Here she is, mostly done (needs her crossbow/hands and head tails yet and her feet are too small, but otherwise she's done):

post-140-0-71213600-1408071455.jpg post-140-0-07709700-1408071456.jpg

post-140-0-41166800-1408071456.jpg post-140-0-77782700-1408071456.jpg

I started the crossbow she is holding.  Here is the initial armature:

post-140-0-09871700-1408071457.jpg

I did some more work on it today.  I hope to have it done by the end of the weekend and be wrapping her up early next week.

Andy

• Like 13

I ran into a bit of a snag when trying to create the crossbow.  I forged the bow out of a brass rod, shaping it with a hammer on my anvil.  That went very well.  Then I attached it to the front of the weapon using Apoxie/GS mix.  It looked good, but once cured it was apparent that it was not very strong.  I figured that I could have finished it and it would have stood up for a while, say for the duration of a molding process, but there was no way this was going to stand up to the test of time ad use in gaming. 

So I ripped it apart and decided to try again.  In order to ensure that it would be solid, I needed to index the part and join them securely.  To do that, I needed a more robust bow than would be the case if I just scaled down the reference.  I hate deviating from the reference, but sometimes it is necessary to take license with it to make the sculpt work at this scale.  So I reforged, ground, and drilled out a new bow (took about an hour just to get it shaped right).  Then I soldered it onto the end of the weapon.

post-140-0-26052000-1408241847.jpg

After soldering, I added something that I can only do because this is not going to be cast, a bowstring. Note that the ends look unfinished and they are.  They will be covered by the end caps/balls later.

post-140-0-72895700-1408241847.jpg

Next, I'll build up the area above the string, making it's slot, and adding the weapon's barrel above that.

Andy

• Like 11

I spent a whole lot of my day sculpting something that should have been really simple and it looks like a pile of utter frack. I have a renewed and profound sense of respect for what you do, dude.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3

Almost done now! I only have one hand to sculpt and then to fit both hands.  That's it.  I'll be doing that tomorrow.  I thought I'd post her now so you all can critique before my next sculpting session so I can make tweaks then.

post-140-0-07248800-1408661857.jpg post-140-0-43243100-1408661857.jpg

post-140-0-84381000-1408661857.jpg post-140-0-21804100-1408661858.jpg

post-140-0-61737000-1408661858.jpg post-140-0-97112500-1408661858.jpg

Weapon without her:

post-140-0-35283100-1408661859.jpg post-140-0-72488600-1408661859.jpg

Have a good night,

Andy

• Like 14