Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So taken a few pic of this guy as I was painting him, started out priming black airbrush pre shading white, then painted the whole thing in brown before changing my mind and going this direction.
That was the shadows and blending, then I did some yellow highlights on the back and mane, and detail on the face.
Not sure if I'm done, maybe a bit more blending on the stomach, I think it's showing a bit too much blue.
Some friends are doing this, under their Infinite Dimensions Games, though I'm not involved. The Kickstarter will take place in March and is for digital files for 3D print. If I remember correctly there are no physical rewards. While people should hold off until the details of the crowdfund are released, my understanding is that the core set is done, any stretch goals will pay for the labour of doing the design/sculpting of those items only, so the core set would be ready as soon as funding period is over.
They have a Facebook and Instagram and more for lots of previews (but I'm not linking because I'm not sure what on those sites will break forum rules), and if anyone is attending BreakoutCon this year in Toronto, they will be there displaying.
TIME WARP featuring Rampage Castle and detailed game-ready buildings from Europe and the Americas designed for your home 3D Printer
So I have gotten comments like this now and again:
so I thought I would start a thread to talk some about how I paint, because it works pretty well for me and maybe what I've learned and practiced can help other people too.
How I paint miniatures is grounded in how I paint paintings, so that's what I'm going to talk about here.
I have a series of WIP photos from a recent painting which I will use to demonstrate.
This is the finished painting:
"Nurturing the Phoenix", oil paint on wooden panel, approx. 18"x24" (would have to pull it out of the painting closet and measure to check)
My birthday is imminent (precioussss), and my husband gave me this resin ship model from German manufacturer Gelaendestuecke.
I've never done anything like this before: Never worked with resin, never made a ship model, never tried to figure out rigging and sails (they aren't included in the model and even the masts are just dowels at the moment).
So ... Woohoo, I have no idea what I'm doing. But I figure it'll be fun figuring it out.
Here's the box
And the instructions in their entirety
The hull and the deck
The wooden bits, the mast, bowsprit, and railings
The cabin has a few issues. Note the little spot the arrow points to. That becomes relevant later.
It also has a big missing spot from a bubble in the back
And a crack and missing piece on one side
Okay, so here's how I've begun it.
First I scrubbed the resin pieces with a toothbrush in very hot water and dish liquid. There was a nasty waxy substance under the hull which I assume is mold release.
Once cleaned, the bottoms of the pieces were really shiny, which seemed like it would cause a problem with the epoxy adhering.
But sanding resin is problematic. Its dust is very fine and lightweight and highly toxic. Bad stuff to breathe.
So I sanded them underwater, with a few drops of dish liquid add to break the surface tension so the dust wouldn't float on the water. Resin really wants to float.
Sanding on the cabin exposed a greasy, waxy white substance where that little splodge was, something like a white oil pastel, and kind of gross.
Scraping it out exposed more of it within the resin and lost a few flakes of the surface. It can be seen, rather big in this picture of the ship as it is at present.
And here's a side view.
Who's Online 18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)