Pingo

"Black Moon's Bane": A Spelljammer Ship (New Pictures, post #27)

This is bitter sweet to see Pingo. Happy to see it done, but I'll miss the updates on the WIP. Been following along with your WIP since the beginning and this is just a work of art that you put out, very very original and amazing. Congrats on completing it!

• Like 10

Wow, that's really cool!! You've done a really great job with it, I love all the little details that keep popping out with each new look at the pics.

• Like 4

To get a better grasp of the work that went into your WONDERFUL creation I just strolled through your W.I.P. thread. Your attention to detail, painstaking modeling, imaginative color choices, & skilled brushwork have yielded a BEAUTIFUL LITTLE MASTERPIECE! I am very impressed with your dedication to the task. SPLENDIDLY WELL DONE!

• Like 5

A beautiful work of art. Each time you updated the WIP it became more and more jaw-dropping. I especially enjoy the little freehand details on the sides of the hull.

• Like 3

There are so many wonderful little details and story elements woven into what started out as a very simple ship.  I'm so very in love with the entire project, thank you for sharing it with us all!!  :wub:

• Like 5

A fantastic piece of art you have there.

Very nicely executed.

Fantastic use of color and imagery.

• Like 1

This is bitter sweet to see Pingo. Happy to see it done, but I'll miss the updates on the WIP. Been following along with your WIP since the beginning and this is just a work of art that you put out, very very original and amazing. Congrats on completing it!

I could not have said it better.

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing your work of art with us Pingo.  You have given me so many ideas for the ship related projects that I have half formed in my head.  It's nice to see such an ambitious project taken from conception to completion.  Well done!

• Like 3

When I think of when you first started this project to where you finished... Wow! That was a lot of work you went through.

Very creative. I hope it inspires a lot of adventures. ::):

• Like 3

Now we have to go together and get her a new boat to start.  Black Moon's Bane needs a ship to fight!

• Like 6

Now we have to go together and get her a new boat to start.  Black Moon's Bane needs a ship to fight!

An illithid ship!
  • Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      This is Kassata Lewynn, sculpted by Julie Guthrie.  The base is resin, from Celtic Ruins pack BRCE0043, by Scibor Miniatures.

I love this sculpt and I love the way she turned out.  However, I had a lot of little problems that surprised me when painting her. 

Somehow I managed to drop her at least five times while working on her.  I had to put a sheet of foam under where I was working to prevent further damage.  This has not happened to me before, so it was quite frustrating.  Each time, there were little white dings in the paint in the middle of spots where I was blending that required multiple layers re-painted to fix the damage.  I think I found and fixed most of them. 

As I was painting her hair, the paint started drying in a completely different way.  It started snowing, so maybe it was the change in weather.  When I did the brown layer, the paint flowed very smoothly.  Part way through painting the first highlight layer, the paint started drying almost immediately.  I am using a #3 Raphael 8404, and it would dry out to the point of no paint flowing within a few seconds.  None of the usual tricks seemed to work (more thinning, flow aid).  It ended up being almost dry brushing, which is why the highlights in her hair look so chalky. 

I noticed a tiny dark spot on her left collar and thought I had dabbed black paint by mistake.  I blended the brown over it several times and it just wouldn't cover over.  Then I figured it out -- there was a hole in her collar all the way through to her shoulder.  A lot of the paint I was applying to cover what I thought was a spot of dark paint was actually wicking through the collar and coming out on the underside.  You can see the dark spot in the top picture right below her chin. It could have been fixed with a spot of glaze but I decided to leave it.  Maybe she had a near miss with an arrow at some point.  

Her face turned out to be exceptionally difficult for me to paint.  Her eyes have sculpted texture that I found made it very difficult for me to place the irises.  That's why the eye placement looks a little off.  Plus, I somehow managed to paint slightly triangular blobs with narrow point upwards instead of circles.  That is contributing to her slightly cross-eyed appearance.  If I paint this miniature again in future, I will probably try to smooth the surfaces of the eyes to make it easier to make them symmetrical.  Her lips also have a shape that I found very challenging.  There are cute little dimples at each corner of her mouth which give her a nice smile.  I found that if I had the paint thinned enough to paint her lips, the paint was also thin enough to immediately wick into these dimples, which significantly magnified the apparent size of her mouth.  I tried repeatedly to paint her lips smoothly, but I had to paint it over and start again each time.  I originally started with a less bright red for her lips, keeping in with the overall milder colour scheme, but the darker red didn't flow into the dimples so that's what she has.  Correcting this each time had an impact on the blending of the flesh tones on her face, which is why there looks like there is a sharp brush line down the middle of her right cheek.  That's where I gave up trying to fix the blending.  I think if I did this miniature again, I would paint the shade tone of the flesh colour into the dimples, and then fill them in with glazing medium.  That way I might still get the nice smile, but not have to fight with the wicking effect on the lip colour.  I also misjudged the overall skin tone.  I used the Reaper fair skin triad with a very slight darkening of the fair skin shadow as the darkest shade and brightened the fair skin highlight with white.  I think the whole series turned out to be too light and as a result there doesn't appear to be much shape to her face when viewed from a distance.  I should have started with a darker shade overall, maybe by adding a mid-range brown to the darkest shade colours for her skin to increase the contrast. 

I created the gem on her right bracer by filling in the rune shape that was there with glaze.  I like the way the gem turned out and the colour, but I shouldn't have outlined the gem shape with black.  I think I should probably used the a darker version of the shade colour I used on the bracer, which was a mixture of nightshade purple and bronzed shadow (from the bronzed flesh triad).  The gem would have still been nicely framed, but the black is just too stark and didn't turn out very smooth.  It might look better if I had been able to make the black margin narrower and rounder. 

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback to share about this model, I would love to hear it. 

Thanks,

Geoff

• By MojoBob

I'm trying out another river segment, built in pretty much the same way as my first one, but this time I'm using a a material that is new to me, SculptaMold from Amaco. I saw it used on Luke's APS on Youtube and liked the look of it, so I popped down and bought a bag from Gordon Harris art supplies. It cost me about twenty-two bucks for about 1.3 kg, which should be enough to do a reasonable amount of terrain. It would probably get a bit pricey if you wanted to build a whole table, but for my purposes it's OK.

It's a plaster and paper (?) fibre mix; I don't know if there's anything else in there. Depending on the amount of water you use it can be mixed to a cottage cheese-like paste, as I've used it here, or to a more liquid slurry that can be cast in rubber moulds. It sets up more slowly than plain plaster; by the time I'd finished laying out the river banks and setting in all the gravel, it was still quite workable, so I slapped together a little rocky outcrop on a plastic cutting board, using some bits of pine bark and the left-over goop from the river banks. I wasn't really keeping track of time, but I'd guess that you probably have 15 to 20 minutes of working time, which is plenty for most things.

When it's wet, it retains a quite knobbly cottage cheese texture, which is fine if it's going to be under flock and stuff. If you want a smoother finish though, just leave it for about another ten minutes or quarter of an hour to stiffen up a bit, and then it can be smoothed with wet fingers or modelling tools, or just with a wet soft brush.

It's early days yet, but at first acquaintance I think I'm going to like it.
    • By Pingo
      The GM said we needed a nosferatu, so here we are.

This is Reaper's 02867: Matthias the Twisted, a gnarly rattish vampire.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

(I have to remember that I experimented with a cold blue-grey wash on some vampire figures that avoided all the nice warm undertones.)

I paint vampires with stark white skin, shaded with flat greys mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. This is almost the only time I ever use such a simple mix for greys.

The first layer is a thinned white (blodginess is the underpainting showing through).

Steps in shading:

• By Geoff Davis
      The weather has been horrible this weekend, so I have lots of painting time.  Here is my next completed miniature for the Jan/Feb RPChallenge.

I am running Princes of the Apocalypse for D&D at the moment, so he will be my "Gar Shatterkeel".

Geoff

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)