Pingo

"Black Moon's Bane": A Spelljammer Ship (New Pictures, post #27)

That is an awesome idea Last Knight!

I'd almost recommend something like a giant seashell with a ship coming out from the opening...  Or a giant horseshoe crab shoe...  The possibilities are endless for Pingo's next boat . 

• Like 4

I left off some details that help show off the ship.

I painted little control panels at the back of the poop deck (if that's the right term; I'm afraid I'm still learning terminology).  For this photo I removed the ship's wheel. (And you can just see the painted-on reflections of the lights from the control panels on the deck flooring.)

post-8022-0-15861000-1400858364.jpg

Illusionistic gems are painted along the balusters of the main rail.

post-8022-0-73115100-1400858433_thumb.jpg

Transparent organza made pretty good-looking ocean waves, and lets you put minis under for convincing underwater effects (but would probably be too annoying to deal with for actual gameplay with things under it).

post-8022-0-79177200-1400858527.jpg

Here are clearer details of the freehanded painting on the sides of the hulls.

post-8022-0-94630200-1400858618.jpg post-8022-0-96784100-1400858637.jpg

And though it looks small on the table, there's lots of room for figures.

post-8022-0-85225000-1400858675.jpg post-8022-0-81960600-1400858737.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 21

OH BABY...MORE PHOTOS! As a fellow detail fanatic, you made my day; there are some WONDERFUL new enhancements to admire. AND the added closeups of the Crew are appreciated. They are as BEAUTIFULLY painted as the Ship herself. Again, VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 7

Wow!  Just WOW!

ED: accidental double post!  Obviously because I was so blown away by the beauty of the ship.

Edited by kay13
  • Like 3

Just read through the WIP, and...I, just...I don't even... How?

I had a life-art professor that once joked (while lampooning a student) that talent between humans is a Zero-Sum game, and that if one person draws too much from the creativity pool, it leaves less for the rest of us. He was joking of course. At least, I thought he was until I saw this.

So congrats, you broke my brain, and aparently you have all the talent. This is literally the most creative thing I have seen in a D&D or miniatures forum. I almost feel like we should contact a museum just in case your Black Moon's Bane goes missing somehow and we have to send government agents to track it down.

And so you know, I just started a slow-clap to aplaud your jewel-and-star encrusted ship, and I'm in my office's cafeteria.

• Like 4

This is an awesome project there is only one thing missing that I really wanted to see...Where is the Spelljamming helm/throne?  I'm guessing its below decks or something it wouldnt make much sense to put in top side lol.  I JUST ordered my 2nd ed Spelljammer boxed set and it comes with cardboard mini ships for space battles but I am thinking I want to make smaller sculpts for them instead.  I love the paint job!

• Like 2

This is an awesome project there is only one thing missing that I really wanted to see...Where is the Spelljamming helm/throne?  I'm guessing its below decks or something it wouldnt make much sense to put in top side lol.  I JUST ordered my 2nd ed Spelljammer boxed set and it comes with cardboard mini ships for space battles but I am thinking I want to make smaller sculpts for them instead.  I love the paint job!

I thought Spelljammer was OOP?  What are these cardboard minis like?

• Like 1

I had a life-art professor that once joked (while lampooning a student) that talent between humans is a Zero-Sum game, and that if one person draws too much from the creativity pool, it leaves less for the rest of us. He was joking of course. At least, I thought he was until I saw this.

So congrats, you broke my brain, and aparently you have all the talent. This is literally the most creative thing I have seen in a D&D or miniatures forum. I almost feel like we should contact a museum just in case your Black Moon's Bane goes missing somehow and we have to send government agents to track it down.

And so you know, I just started a slow-clap to aplaud your jewel-and-star encrusted ship, and I'm in my office's cafeteria.

Thanks for your kind comments.  I enjoyed making the thing and I appreciate others' appreciation.

Thanks.  I gave some thought to the Spelljamming helm, but ultimately decided to leave it belowdecks, as it were.  I like to think it is behind the blue cabin door, visible towards the back of the ship:

post-8022-0-02228400-1405021916.jpg post-8022-0-29665900-1405021940.jpg

This explains the unearthly glows coming from the rear cabin windows.

post-8022-0-00052000-1405022281.jpg post-8022-0-89857300-1405022486.jpg

As long as I'm throwing up more pictures, this was my setup before I laid down the fabric and the ship.  You can see the nice soft egg crate foam which made the wave forms under the fabric and cradled the ship while I took photos.

post-8022-0-40563500-1405022001.jpg post-8022-0-97251000-1405022082.jpg

This is the view you don't wish to have.

post-8022-0-46600500-1405022167.jpg

And I like how these look spacey and the sail looks glowing.

post-8022-0-87704500-1405022206.jpg post-8022-0-95698600-1405022309.jpg

post-8022-0-38605400-1405022390.jpg post-8022-0-88133100-1405022353.jpg

I finished this two months ago, but apparently I'm still basking.

• Like 11

OH BABY! MORE PHOTOS! There, that about says it all...a WONDROUS creation like yours never gets old & new views offer things that I had missed before. FANTASTIC WORK!

• Like 1

I thought Spelljammer was OOP?  What are these cardboard minis like?

It is OOP as far as 2nd ed goes anyway but I got a good copy from ebay.  As far as the cardboard minis that come with it go I think they are just pieces or thin cardboard with a monochrome picture of the different types of ships so nothing really special.  I will post pictures if you like when it arrives

Thanks for your kind comments.  I enjoyed making the thing and I appreciate others' appreciation.

Thanks.  I gave some thought to the Spelljamming helm, but ultimately decided to leave it belowdecks, as it were.  I like to think it is behind the blue cabin door, visible towards the back of the ship:

attachicon.gif30-BlackObliqueFront.jpg attachicon.gif32-Blue-door-and-cabin-railing.jpg

This explains the unearthly glows coming from the rear cabin windows.

attachicon.gif65-StarboardSternFigs.jpg attachicon.gif61-BlackStern3.jpg

As long as I'm throwing up more pictures, this was my setup before I laid down the fabric and the ship.  You can see the nice soft egg crate foam which made the wave forms under the fabric and cradled the ship while I took photos.

attachicon.gif1-photo-setup.jpg attachicon.gif18B-Prow-with-sea-lion.jpg

This is the view you don't wish to have.

attachicon.gif41--BlackFrontCrew.jpg

And I like how these look spacey and the sail looks glowing.

attachicon.gif43-BlackDownDeckCrew2.jpg attachicon.gif70-BlackFromAbove2Crew.jpg

attachicon.gif20-BlackStarboard.jpg attachicon.gif74-UnderdeckStarNursery2Vertical.jpg

I finished this two months ago, but apparently I'm still basking.

I was thinking that is where it was it really wouldn't make much sense for it to be above deck this makes me really want to undertake something like this but I am just now learning to paint skeletons with my Bones L2PK so something like this paintjob is FAR in the distance lol

• Like 1