Last Knight

[D&D/Fantasy] Recruitment/Introduction: Boldly Into Darkness Go

They say life is 'nasty, brutish, and short' and this is truer for nobody than the peasants. Maybe you were born into poverty, maybe you achieved it, or maybe it was thrust upon you; whatever your personal circumstances, you've had entirely quite enough of being poor, overlooked, and kicked around. It's time to seek your fortune in the big, bad world.

There are many ways to make a ducat, but few of them are open to folk such as you in this day and age. You could be a merchant-venturer - if you had the money to buy goods, a caravan or ship, and a trade route that wasn't locked down by the established merchant guilds and houses. You could join the Army and seek honour on the battlefield; if there were any wars to fight, in this unprecedented age of peace and prosperity. Even banditry is beyond your reach, thanks to the thieves guilds and highway bands that lock you out if you don't already have an "in," or enough money to buy one.

But there is one way for a down on their luck peasant with guts and a good sword to achieve fortune and fame; down in the deeps of the world, in the ruins of yesteryear, lays the gold of long-gone civilizations. It won't be easy; dark things dwell in dark places, and few who go down in the deeps come back whole... if they come back at all.

The village of Keppelshire is a quiet, backwards hamlet in a quiet, backwards barony on the northern borders of the kingdom of Generia. The old King's Road runs within a few miles of the village; once upon a time, this was a major source of revenue, but a particularly nasty group of bandits succeeded in frightening away the merchant traffic to safer and more lucrative routes, and the village has been slowly fading away since.

Nearly a century ago, the Imperium withdrew from its more isolated provinces and abandoned the border tower known locally as Goblinwatch. Nearly forty years ago, a group of bandits occupied the tower and threatened the region until they were brutally exterminated by a wandering band of adventurers. Twenty years ago, reports of haunting and demon possession in the ruins lead a roving monk to exorcise the ruins in a night of flashing lights and terrifying sounds that have convinced the locals to stay away from Goblinwatch - although everything of value had been picked clean roughly five minutes after the Imperial legions left, and surely by the time the adventurers were done mopping up the bandits. Even so, two weeks ago a rowdy band of freebooters came through Keppelshire, boasting about the treasure they were going to pull out of Goblinwatch. The locals watched with amusement as the rich kids went up the hill full of vim and vigor; but they never came back down...

Two days ago, a courier passed through Keppelshire. One of the missing adventurers had been some relation to a Lord High Mucky Muck down in Arl's Grange, and he's looking for his relative. Last night, you and some similarly distressed compatriots were drinking in the tavern and the subject of gold in the dark earth came up. If Goblinwatch is empty, then what happened to the rich kids? And more importantly, were they right about the treasure the fortress holds?

You woke up this morning and climbed the hill. It's a rough, rocky climb up an old road that hasn't been maintained or used regularly in a hundred years, and a low mist clings to the tumbled stones of Goblinwatch tower. The walls are gaping open, torn by the ravages of time, and you can tell nothing more than mice and birds have disturbed its empty chambers in over a decade. The upper levels probably aren't even strong enough to bear your weight.

In the center of the courtyard is an old well. Local legend says it had gone dry even before the garrison had abandoned the keep; they used to fetch water from a stream down the hill. The bandits who'd occupied the ruins would throw their prisoners down into the blackness if their ransom wasn't paid, and so it gained the sobriquet "the Murder Hole." Somebody's recently hammered a piton between the courtyard flagstones and attached a sturdy hawser to it; the rope dangles down into the blackness of the Murder Hole, beckoning you onward.

Adventure awaits, and there's only one thing for you to do; get rich or die trying!

----

Hail to thee, adventurer! I am recruiting for a play by post game here on the forums. The setting is intended to be an old-school Dungeons & Dragons style fantasy; a world of monsters and treasure, where death lurks in narrow, dark passageways and brave heroes grapple for gold in the deep. I'm approaching this with two concepts; one, the story is what happens at the table. That is, while I provide a setting and framework, there is no overarching plot except the one you, the players, build. I intend to make this world entirely open, built with the players' feedback. Your actions determine the story.

Second, I'm attempting to make this - from the players' perspective - system neutral. There will be a resolution framework available to solve conflicts, but I'd like to keep it as invisible as possible, in order to help maximize immersion in the story. That is; rather than build a character and send a sheet of stats to me, you'll give me your character's concept and I'll hang a mechanical framework on them as best I can. I'm hoping that, by keeping things 'behind the curtain' like this it'll help both speed up play and increase enjoyment in the game.

What I need from you: A character! You should describe your character with emphasis on their background (skills that might come into play) and those abilities that would come into play in this fantasy world. Don't worry about being too specific; your background should be enough to tell me that you're able to pick locks or decipher runic script without having to list every single ability in some sort of fantastical CV.

The World is a classic high adventure fantasy setting; magic is commonplace enough to be found in shops and in daily use, without being as commonplace as modern technology (think more Forgotten Realms or Ptolus than Eberron!), but it's still rare and expensive enough that a peasant isn't likely to get their hands on it, or see it from closer than a great distance - and thus, it's something to be prized and striven for. There are many fantastic races that live (mostly) peacefully with each other, including elves, halflings, and dwarves of various nations, but again their kind is rare and seldom seen. Dwarves, especially, are masters of technology; their steamwagons and dragonships are known to ply to far away lands and return laden with strange and mysterious artifacts from distant civilizations.

This is very much a world under development, and it needs your input to be fully realized. ^_^ I hope you'll come and play!

• Like 7

I've been wanting to join one of these. I"ll get you a character by today...

...underlined for emphasis? ::D:

Current players:

*dsmiles

*MatrissaTheEnchantress

*MissMelons

*DilvishTheDeliverer

*ShadowRaven

*fishnjeeps

*Slendertroll

*TGP

*Chaoswolf

*Girot

The Waiting List:

Player limit: 7 10.*

If this proves unwieldy, I'll see what I can do to break the party into two groups. ^_^ We'll see how it goes.

Player limit has been reached. If you're interested in playing, do please PM me a character concept, and I'll put your name in the queue.

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 3

Don't know why it underlined, But Yes I'm really itching to play something. Do you want our character backgrounds posted or PM'd?

Don't know why it underlined, But Yes I'm really itching to play something. Do you want our character backgrounds posted or PM'd?

Up to you, if you mind your character being common knowledge. I'm going to ask everyone post a rough description of themselves when we start, so if your character isn't local to Keppelshire he might be a bit of a mystery to the others.
  • Like 1

I've got school tonight and tomorow night and a job interview on Weds. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll be able to get you a character by the weekend.

• Like 1

Are you folks going to paint up minis for your characters?

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5

Are you folks going to paint up minis for your characters?

I would be totally cool with working up some kind of ingame reward for this.
  • Like 7

Painting mine now <_< PROJECTS!

But I already have 20 minis in progress, I don't know how I'll be able to add another without finishing at least one...

• Like 4

Painting mine now <_< PROJECTS!

But I already have 20 minis in progress, I don't know how I'll be able to add another without finishing at least one...

I started the vampire lord last night. I was inspired by shadowravens. He's pretty much finished....but now I'm painting my character. O_O 

• Like 4