Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThePolo

Color choice advice...

12 posts in this topic

Okay.. quick question... I started a few monks this weekend, and I was watching my import copy of Shaolin Soccer, and figured I'd got with a Shaoling Monk color scheme on em' ... These mini's are roughly half done:

Color.jpg

The one on the left, I'm happy with... the black is not 'traditional', but I like the colors... they work.

The one on the right, however, I'm not sure about... The orange and yellow, while they're pretty much right on with Shaolin garb:

shaolin.jpg

They just don't seem to translate to miniature very well... I'm I giving up to early in the game? I mean, I know a lot can change depending on highlighting choices, etc... Any opinions?

I think the colors work rahter well. though you might want to change the footgear color to match the socks, sorta like the pic from the movie you posted

I wouldn't give it up just yet. but that's just my opinion

Try a little bit of Ruiby Red ink in the creases. I notice the shadows on the human are more orange, whereas the mini's aren't. Also there are white-bordered red panels on the human, which you might add to the minis.

Actually, the red and white scarves on the human are attached to the hilt of his sword...

Yeah, I agree that I have to take the shadows 'down' a bit... But I'm concerned that if I use red to ink, then the overall impression will be of red... Perhaps if I go with a chestnut color instead?

I think part of the problem is with the sculpt itself.... that over-jacket it's wearing is SOOOO plain. I loved the sculpt when I saw it in 'green', but once I got it in my hands, it's a bit clunky...

LOT's of flash on this sucker, too...

Water down the ink, perhaps, and apply it only to the shadows. Aargh. I know exactly how I'd show you in person, but I can't put it into words. Maybe I'll see you at Running GAGG this weekend.

I'd try a thinned flesh ink for shading the orange down...

Actually... here's what I'd try... oh crud... my oranges don't have labels on 'em. Even though I don't have labels, I see a wide enough range to use Reaper Pro-paint colours as they are (Not much of a need for mixing)...

Line up all of your Red's and Oranges in a progression. You should have some 1/2 Red - 1/2 Orange colours. You should be able to get away with using one of 'em as your base colour, but you'll need to work away from the 'redness' of 'em as you layer.

Build up from there. Whatever colour you feel matches the Actual Shaolin orange should make up the majority of your colour when you are done with your last highlight. Often, you will feel that your highlights are too small to be seen... sorta true...

Consider that highlights are really more "implication" than "statement."

That help?

MichaelG / IXMINIS

try an orange or brown wash to make the bo wielder's cloaths more orange.the colors only need a bit of darkening to be perfect

I would add more red to the one. It has the orange and yellow but no red to provide a higher contrast.

Yes, for the orange shirt, as has been mentioned, I would paint in the shadows with a red (or better yet darkflesh + blood red for a browny red), and add some snakebite leather (a greeny brown) to the shadows for the yellow coat.

I agree.

They are really nice though, very bright and realistic.

Adam

I would darken the base color a bit with brown. Maybe possibly a tiniest amount of medium gray in there. In the real life shadows, I'm not seeing orange in the yellow and I'm not seeing red in the orange.

So far, I think it is looking good. I personally don't care for the real life color choice, so it doesn't translate well to a mini for me. If you like the real life pick, keep working at it. I don't think you are far off.

I also would shadow the orange with brown. The addition of brown as a "grounding" color, apart from all those bright tones, should make the yellow like it more. :)

--Anne