galladril

Sculpting Putty Differences

Hello, Everyone.

I have recently begun using Happy Seppeku stamps to create some basic bases.

I have 3 different materials available to use. I am supplying links to the exact products because I know some of these have similar names, etc.

Magic Sculp

Milliput

Reaper Green Stuff

I basically need someone more familiar with these products to "check my math" if you will, as my "reaserch" leads me to believe that:

Magic Sculp is water soluable, so it can be smoothed out a little easier, however, may lack fine details.

Milliput is effectively a cheaper version of greenstuff, producing similar results.

Green Stuff will create the highest caliber of detail.

As I understand it, the Magic Sculp will work fine for an entire base, the Milliput or Green stuff will work well for "accents," gap filling should be green stuff.

Please, post your thoughts and opinions here, and thanks, in advance!

• Like 5

Milliput tends to dry rock hard, so is good for bases.  It can also be mixed into a slurry if you want.  I think it's grainier than greenstuff.  It holds detail great.  Greenstuff is great for detail- only downside is it's cost. Have fun!

• Like 8

Milliput is effectively a cheaper version of greenstuff, producing similar results.

Green Stuff will create the highest caliber of detail.

Boy no.

Milliput and GS are two different beasts altogether, with different propierties. 

Milliput can be "dilluted" with water, to get a watery solution great for smoothing rough texture. It dries rock hard, can be sanded and drilled with ease, but beware of the dust (wear a respirator or at least a dust mask).

GS is another compound, more sticky and organic. Pull/push more than Milliput, similar to old chewing gum. Once dry you can try to cut it, but trying to sand it or drill it will usually tear the stuff instead of producing clean results.

Both are different and good for different stuff. When you need mechanical bits, sharp angles, stuff to sand and cut to perfect faces and able to withstand weight, use milliput. For gap filling you can use both, but the stickiness of GS makes it easier so smooth in thin layers "stretching" it by pulling/pushing and getting good, organic transitions. Just don't try to sand it too much afterwards.

• Like 8

Milliput is closer to Magi-Sculpt than to Green Stuff as it to is water soluble and machinable when hard.  GS is not machinable when fully cured.  You can mix Milliput with GS to achieve different results.  I know Jason W mixes Apoxie Sculpt with GS to achieve a more machinable version of GS.  Milliput works similarly, but is a bit grainier. I personally haven't enjoyed my time with either Apoxie Sculpt or Milliput because they get all over my fingers, but the end results are nice, especially if you want something very hard in the end.  GS is slightly pliable like hard rubber when cured.  The others are rock hard, but more brittle.

:ph34r:  Willen ninjaed me.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 9

Because I'm terrible with milliput and am attempting something different. Light cursing may ensue from said experience.

• Like 9

Something different = learning = being a superior being. So curse away, and show us what you come up with!

• Like 6

I would recommend toying with the different compounds. Just mix some up and play around with it for a bit, so you can get a feel for how they age and what tools work well with each. There is nothing more frustrating than going full bore on your brand new figure that was pricey and destroying it because you just didn't expect the putty to react like it did to the tool you were using. Really, take the time to mix up some of each and just experiment. It will take allot of the fear out. There are just some things you have to learn by doing. 

• Like 6

/just ordered some sculpting tools for this weekend. <_<

Out of curiosity, what tools did you order MissMelons?

• Like 2

Because I'm terrible with milliput and am attempting something different. Light cursing may ensue from said experience.

Curse loudly and foamingly at the piece.  It helps with digestion and will make the materials behave.

Also:  The double ended wax sculpting tools from one of the companies comes from india and has some... interesting... tooling.

I recommend the clay shapers ans some sculpy (like Corporea uses on her bases).  MonkeySloth put me up for these and I have found them to be very very handy for a multitude of projects (including the 2 and a half foot wide Sculpy crab my son and I made).

• Like 4

Curse loudly and foamingly at the piece.  It helps with digestion and will make the materials behave.

Also:  The double ended wax sculpting tools from one of the companies comes from india and has some... interesting... tooling.

I recommend the clay shapers ans some sculpy (like Corporea uses on her bases).  MonkeySloth put me up for these and I have found them to be very very handy for a multitude of projects (including the 2 and a half foot wide Sculpy crab my son and I made).

Ooooo those clay shapers are nifty! I'll invest in those next pay period. 

What interesting tooling do you speak of?? 

• Like 2