galladril

Sculpting Putty Differences

120 posts in this topic

As a comment on the Milliput toxicity thing, it probably varies from person to person. I get no skin problems from contact with GS, ProCreate or Milliput. But I've found when Milliput comes into contact with my mouth (and all my putties do - either licking the sculpting tool, or wetting my fingertips) I often get problems; if I've used it a lot, I end up with sores on my tongue, and the skin peeling off my lips in big chunks...  

That said, I still use it, because it's very useful stuff... I should just be more careful and keep a little pot of water handy instead of using my mouth!

3 people like this

@[email protected] Question, why doesn't milliput ever set?! I use equal parts, it's been almost two days and it's hardened but still malleable if it gets wet (via paint). I'm wondering if I should just resculpt it with  sculpey or try to bake the current milliput in the oven for a couple of minutes to harden it. I'm just unsure how milliput takes heat. It's the third thing I've tried to sculpt in which it never set and was still squishy days later. 

I'm not sure what's going on there - it should be solid as a rock. I used some yesterday, and it was cured enough to use sandpaper on after 4 hours. All I can think is maybe you didn't mix it enough... how long did you mix it for?

You can heat Milliput, but it will burn and crack if it gets too hot; I'd avoid the oven, to be honest.

1 person likes this

What about a hair dryer to help speed up curing of that milliput?

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
1 person likes this

I cut it I to tiny pieces of both parts and kneed and mix like dough for about 5 to 7 minutes. I don't own a hair dryer. @[email protected] its hot as hades here, maybe I can sw it outside for awhile?

Great thread.  I'm working on terrain pieces.  anyone had any experience with wax?  I'm finding it really easy to use for "hard features" as it takes carving really well.  Right now, I'm experimenting with different brands to figure out the qualities.  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 person likes this

I cut it I to tiny pieces of both parts and kneed and mix like dough for about 5 to 7 minutes. I don't own a hair dryer. @[email protected] its hot as hades here, maybe I can sw it outside for awhile?

It sounds like you did it right.  I should have been hard as a rock after three hours.  It does not dry, it cures.  Any chance you mixed up the pieces and mixed two like parts?

It sounds like you did it right. I should have been hard as a rock after three hours. It does not dry, it cures. Any chance you mixed up the pieces and mixed two like parts?

The only way that could have happened is if it were packaged wrong. Its never been hard as a rock for me after three hours. Even when I first bought it and made a couple of bases with it. If I press the base too hard, it'll lose its shape.

Do you think I got an old package or something? Maybe they expire?

These go bad. I don't know what the shelf life of Milliput is but I know gray stuff is only like 6 months.

Sounds like you got a bad batch.  I'd email the company that makes milliput.

3 people like this

I didn't mean to make you sad.

2 people like this

I just don't look forward to re sculpting this with my yellow milliput. Thanks again. ^ ^

As a comment on the Milliput toxicity thing, it probably varies from person to person. I get no skin problems from contact with GS, ProCreate or Milliput. But I've found when Milliput comes into contact with my mouth (and all my putties do - either licking the sculpting tool, or wetting my fingertips) I often get problems; if I've used it a lot, I end up with sores on my tongue, and the skin peeling off my lips in big chunks...  

That said, I still use it, because it's very useful stuff... I should just be more careful and keep a little pot of water handy instead of using my mouth!

That sounds pretty awful. A cup of clean water sounds like a good plan!