Sign in to follow this  
mikem91

Pinning to thin plastic bases

I'm currently working on some minis for Infinity.  They're motorcycles (with riders) that come with fairly standard 40mm thin plastic bases.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Image-A.jpg

I'm pretty certain that they're not going to remain put on the bases as is, so I'm intending to pin them through the back tire and then attach that rod to the base.

The base though is just a very thin piece of plastic.  Something like this in cross-section:

/                                    \

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with what you should fill in the underside of the base with to give the pin something to grab onto?  Greenstuff maybe?

You could use a jeweler's head pin. Drill a small hole (#62 or 64 drill bit would work) through the base, push the pin through from the bottom, & glue the head to the bottom of the base. If the base is solid you could countersink the pin head.

If there's a hollow part underneath, just putty or a blob of greenstuff to give it some heft and keep it in place usually works for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, fill it with putty and drill on it. 

From experience, try to pull the putty off after it cures and before doing the pinning. The underside is quite smooth and the putty has adhesion problems sometime. But after cured, you can superglue it back in place and then it would be fine.

BTW, love those bikes! You know new rules are putting them onto new, bigger bases right?

If the base is styrene, glue a block scrap styrene under each pinning hole with plastic weld cement, clamp it with a clothespin, and let dry. It will become an integral part of the base.

I like the jeweler's head pin idea -- I hadn't thought of that before, though I have once or twice used micro screws I found and saved.(Hint: take apart old electronics you're going to throw out -- they're a treasure trove of tiny screws and junk heap parts.) You can also create a makeshift washer to prevent the pin from pulling through the plastic base, by drilling a hole the same diameter as the pin in a thin piece of brass or aluminum and running the pin through it and the base into the model.

• Like 2

I like the jewellers pin idea, too. Usually, though, I just use the same pinning wire I usually do (guitar string), and put a 90-degree bend in it for the same effect. In either case, the pin has to go through the base first, rather than into the mini first which should be obvious, but I've tried to put a bend in a pin that's already in place...it isn't easy.

• Like 1

Poke through the base then bend the wire(pin) and glue AND GS it.

Fixed. Also, if they're a bit wobbly, adding flash tabs and scrap metal to the base will add a touch of stability.

I was very close to filling out the bottom of the base with GS, but then I found some 40mm secret weapon bases in my tub-o-stuff that I think will work and also be more honest about the time I have to make awesome bases.  I'll keep these tips in mind.

Regarding the base size changes, last I heard that was to better accommodate the mini, but the rules weren't requiring basing changes.  I'm really looking forwards to 3rd edition rules too.

• Like 1

The base though is just a very thin piece of plastic.  Something like this in cross-section:

/                                    \

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with what you should fill in the underside of the base with to give the pin something to grab onto?  Greenstuff maybe?

Bend a paperclip / wire into a WWW shape then twist the ends to be pin-able into the bike at 2 locations if possible. Glue the wire to the base. cover it up with the basing style of your choice. Glue the pins into the bike.

post-12161-0-04065000-1404117143.png

You could also have the wire be on the underside of the base with only the pins poking through for a flatter base surface, but that will make rebasing harder down the road.

post-12161-0-78200700-1404118049.png

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SGHawkins09
      The official arrival/departure thread for Round 2 of the Basing Edition of the Box of Goodwill.

PLEASE make sure to post when you receive the box and when you send it off.

Remember, NO CHATTER, chatter thread is here:

Box of Goodwill, Basing Edition Round 2 - Chatter Thread

SGHawkins09 - sent 2/16
      Keianna - arrived 2/20, sent 2/27
      Sylverthorne - arrived 3/1, sent 3/9
      NecroMancer - arrived 3/12, sent 3/15
      hungerfan - arrived 3/18, sent 3/23
      Ulfheathen - arrived 3/26, sent 4/2
      Aryanun - arrived 4/4, 
      hiddenone32 - new box arrived 6/11, sent 6/15
      Clearman - arrived 6/18
      Guildenstern - arrived 6/27, sent 7/2
      Shadowphaze - arrived 7/5, sent 7/9
      Generic Fighter - arrived 7/11
      Dilvish the Deliverer - arrived 8/8

Dilvish the Deliverer - sent 2/26
      Wyvernfire - arrived 2/27, sent 3/10
      Chaoswolf - arrived 3/12, sent 3/26
      Knarthex - arrived 3/28, sent 4/13
      Paradoxical Mouse - arrived 4/16
      Dragoneye - arrived 8/8, sent ReaperCon
      Kangaroorex - arrived ReaperCon, sent 9/18
      Fire_Eyes - arrived 9/20
      Keianna
      Pegazus
      SparrowMarie
      LittleBluberry
      SGHawkins09

Only two groups this time and they are fairly large so make sure to keep the boxes moving. Also you may notice Keianna is listed in both groups, this is intentional as she did not receive a box last time.
    • By LittleBluberry
      From the Kickstarter page:
      The Basius Max collection is a DOUBLE SIDED series of large solid purple resin pads, full of jaw-dropping hand-sculpted negatively recessed texture

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/984996675/basius-max?ref=friends_launched

Basius stamps are one of the most talked about hobby tools that I've never tried, mainly because they never seem to make it to retail.  This time I'm not letting frugality get in the way of awesome bases!  
    • By Rat13
      I've made no secret about my opinions on Games Workshop. Though my painting box is full of their miniatures they were always bought second and sometimes third hand (I never wanted GW to get any of my money). Even my previous Cadians were bought from my local games store that has no affiliation with GW (I also know those sets and blisters came with the business when it was bought almost twenty years ago). Now I find myself in the unique position of building a Cadian army.

My wife and I used to play weekly in D&D Adventure League but with the birth of our first child it looks like that won't be possible (We want to continue gaming at our current store but its a bit of drive and the kid is at the rolling stage so she doesn't want to be held or sit in her seat; she wants to be on the floor and we all know what gameshop floors are like). I've offered to watch the child so she can go or to switch off each week but she only wants to go together. Gaming together has always been part of our relationship, and she doesn't want to lose that. I couldn't agree more, its good to share a hobby with your spouse.

That's when our friends started trying to recruit us to play Warhammer 40K with them. At first I was resistant but our friends get together often to play and in our area its always possible to find a game (Depending on the size it can be played fairly quickly in comparison to D&D too). After some discussion we decided 40K would give me something to paint, but it would also give us both something to play and eventually something to play together.

Which brings us to this new project. Since I figured watching me assemble miniatures would be pretty boring I'm starting this thread right before I prime them. So here is most of my assembled starter set (I've got quite a few cheap sets of bits arriving over the next couple weeks and I'm not exactly sure what unit I'd like to create next so that's why I have so many unfinished figures).

I'm still not a big fan of GW but having an excuse to see our friends more often is pretty nice. In a way we're kinda trading one gaming group for another (that sounds pretty mean but I think you understand what I'm saying).
    • By SparrowMarie
      I have some minis I want to pin (or attempt to, have never done it before). I have wire, tons of paper clips, and am going to acquire some brass rod soon. But my question is about the clippers. I know I shouldn't use my sprue cutters for most things beyond plastics, resin, and other things like those. 

So my question is what kind of clippers (cutters?) Do I need to cut the metal bits down to size? I don't want to ruin my good clippers by cutting something too hard. I saw some in the jewelry section at Michael's but wasn't sure they'd hold up in the long run since it said it cuts soft wire and thread.
    • By wickedshifty
      I painted this guy and he seemed like a real ambitious little skeleton. So I had a base I had started for a different project, but ultimately decided not to use, and he seemed worthy and I liked the rocks he came standing on anyways...

• Who's Online   34 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)