Thrym

Department of Acquisitions

14992 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, knarthex said:

Nice thanks! Instructions says they had a repair job on one of their stops. One of the engines is a different color. I think I'll try & do that version.

Still need to see if there is a photo-etch set for this model. Those fiddly bits would benefit from it.

4 people like this

6 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Watch out for " Bonk"!!!

I don't paint those either....

4 people like this

Hasbro has been reiussing some of my favorite figs from my childhood as Headmasters in their "Titans Return" line for Generations. I recently picked up the inaplty named "Powermaster Optimus Prime" (who is now a Headmaster like everyone else) and have now picked up Six-Shot, whose gun mode was cleverly turned upside-down and renamed "Submarine Mode" and Hardhead. The Leader Class figures all have a "base mode" that is supposed to be able to interlink with the Metroplex figure, so I may have to save up my pennies and get a copy of him, too.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Recently I've been on a D&D binge...

At the local comic shop I bought the AD&D Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneering Survival Guide, which I may or may not have mentioned before...

And then I went back and bought this...

51Wm9Q0TmTL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

The 1983 red box... It didn't have the dice or the crayon, and the box is a bit worn, but both books and the application for RPGA membership are there. It cost me $50, but I've been eyeballing it for quite a while.

It's probably one of my last D&D purchases for awhile - aside from the Gygax Memorial editions of the AD&D PHB, DMG and MM, which I want to re-own (since I had to sell the first set of them I had), the Basic Set was pretty much the last of the old-school merch that was floating around locally that was really on my must-have list.

In other news, today I went to a big charity "yard sale" held at the local National Guard armory, which featured several rooms full of donations, and payed a dollar for a box of parts that turned out to be about two-thirds of the True Legends Dragon Castle...

It's missing half of the side walls, three of the tower roofs, the bridge over the back part, and the fringe of grey rocks at the back of the top part of the throne room piece, as well as both figures and all of the minor accessories (catapults, etc.) .

I mostly bought it because A) it was only $1 and B) the main gate section looked like I could use it for wargaming terrain with some modification and repainting (particularly repainting the dragon as stone).

Here's a pic with Sir Forscale and a mountain troll...

Spoiler

IMG_7559.thumb.JPG.21aec9ef338da0198e1170d3751224c2.JPG

I'm thinking I'll probably junk about half of it and see about turning the rest into terrain. You can't really see it in the picture I linked to, but the upper level of the individual towers would make a good gate house or mine entrance, since there's a stone frame sculpted around the openings in each of the four towers behind the gates/dragon panels (which are actually only attached to the darker grey floor sections beneath them).

Edited by Mad Jack
10 people like this

45 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Recently I've been on a D&D binge...

At the local comic shop I bought the AD&D Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneering Survival Guide, which I may or may not have mentioned before...

And then I went back and bought this...

51Wm9Q0TmTL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

The 1983 red box... It didn't have the dice or the crayon, and the box is a bit worn, but both books and the application for RPGA membership are there. It cost me $50, but I've been eyeballing it for quite a while.

It's probably one of my last D&D purchases for awhile - aside from the Gygax Memorial editions of the AD&D PHB, DMG and MM, which I want to re-own (since I had to sell the first set of them I had), the Basic Set was pretty much the last of the old-school merch that was floating around locally that was really on my must-have list.

Score! I still have my old basic D&D books, but I'm down to only 4 dice from the red box set. Especially sad that I lost the d20 back around 89. :down: 

I have no idea if that crayon was different from a normal crayon, but most of the white lettering is still on the 33yo dice. I'm not sure if it would be a bad idea to use a normal white crayon to touch them up or not. 

The first dice I ever bought (that didn't come from a D&D box) was a clear green Gamescience d10 back when I was 12 or 13. It's the only GS dice I've ever owned. Yesterday, I finally ordered a GS d10-00 to pair with it. Took 30 years! It came about because I offered to order the kids each a nice new set of dice since their Chessix sets are so rounded and the d20s seem to roll the same numbers again and again. My son chose a set of solid metal Dwarven dice from Q-Workshop (my poor table). My daughter chose a set of Gamescience "Permafrost" dice with gold lettering. Since I was placing a Gamescience order, I added a few individual dice for myself. My lonely d10 will finally have a buddy! Didn't pay for the lettering on mine though. Wish I still had that crayon. :lol:

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just got this yesterday evening from Amazon:  BrightBox Portable Mini Photo Studio With LED Light

It is a phenomenal little kit.  Cheap, but it improved my photo taking capabilities 10 fold.  It is a good start for anyone wanting to do better photos I think

Edited by Baldur8762
5 people like this

Just checked my copy of the Red Box, the dice are still pristine but there's no crayon.::(:

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just checked my copy of the Red Box, the dice are still pristine but there's no crayon.::(:

Pretty sure all of my dice are gone to the 4 winds except for the d10. It's battered, chipped & such, but I still have it! Loved the Basic Red to Black rules. I still have my Rules Cyclopedia hardback as well.

It was what I DMed back in the days of jr & high school. Loved Mystara, as a setting as well. Friends had AD&D I had D&D!

5 people like this

17 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Just got this yesterday evening from Amazon:  BrightBox Portable Mini Photo Studio With LED Light

It is a phenomenal little kit.  Cheap, but it improved my photo taking capabilities 10 fold.  It is a good start for anyone wanting to do better photos I think

Nice! I got in a cheap $7 knockoff version from eBay yesterday. It came all folded in on itself. It was a little scary to unfold it the first time. The LEDs are nice and bright though. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

The first dice I ever bought (that didn't come from a D&D box) was a clear green Gamescience d10 back when I was 12 or 13. It's the only GS dice I've ever owned. Yesterday, I finally ordered a GS d10-00 to pair with it. Took 30 years! It came about because I offered to order the kids each a nice new set of dice since their Chessix sets are so rounded and the d20s seem to roll the same numbers again and again. My son chose a set of solid metal Dwarven dice from Q-Workshop (my poor table). My daughter chose a set of Gamescience "Permafrost" dice with gold lettering. Since I was placing a Gamescience order, I added a few individual dice for myself. My lonely d10 will finally have a buddy! Didn't pay for the lettering on mine though. Wish I still had that crayon. :lol:

Make your son roll those in some kind of tray. Metal dice will eat tables.

As for the GameScience dice, I've got a couple sets and I love them. The only problem is that they weigh practically nothing, and the edges are starting to get chewed up just by virtue of them being in a dice bag with only other GameScience dice. It's like they use a really cheap plastic or something.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Make your son roll those in some kind of tray. Metal dice will eat tables.

As for the GameScience dice, I've got a couple sets and I love them. The only problem is that they weigh practically nothing, and the edges are starting to get chewed up just by virtue of them being in a dice bag with only other GameScience dice. It's like they use a really cheap plastic or something.

Good point. I haven't seen metal dice in person yet. A few people in the reviews made it seem like they get a high damage bonus against tables and even character sheets. The table we usually play on is made of reclaimed cypress. It isn't a very hard wood so it would be toast in no time. I have a dice tray in my cart. 

3 people like this

16 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Good point. I haven't seen metal dice in person yet. A few people in the reviews made it seem like they get a high damage bonus against tables and even character sheets. The table we usually play on is made of reclaimed cypress. It isn't a very hard wood so it would be toast in no time. I have a dice tray in my cart. 

One of my friends has a table that bears the scars of many a metal die roll because he loves the things. They aren't deep, but they're there, they're plentiful, and they're noticeable. Of course, the size of the dice will make a difference, but it's better to play safe with a dice tray.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

One of my friends has a table that bears the scars of many a metal die roll because he loves the things. They aren't deep, but they're there, they're plentiful, and they're noticeable. Of course, the size of the dice will make a difference, but it's better to play safe with a dice tray.

It really does depend on the wood and the dice.  My cherry game table takes no damage from them but the plywood table my friend has had a few nicks before we started insisting on trays or mouse pads.

3 people like this

Wasn't going to but picked up the latest Doom game.  Steam had it at 67% off so I decided that even if I don't love it, the cost/hourly enjoyment ratio would be decent.  Of course the last thing I need is another distraction from getting paint onto miniatures when we're on the cusp of getting LOTS of Bones lovin'! 

3 people like this

As compensation for the big pile of dirt (mostly moved now, finishing it today), I picked up a growler of Whango Mango from Atwater Brewing.  Unfortunately, it is going to wait until I finish moving the dirt and laying out all the grass seed and so on.

I might have the dice, but only the dice, from my old D&D sets.  Maybe I should look.  If I have them, I can pass them on.

3 people like this