Thrym

Department of Acquisitions

14992 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

I'm hoping he shows up at ReaperCon... 

Will I have a mining partner? That bin was fun to dig through. ^.^

9 people like this

I acquired a renewed vehicle registration and inspection. I also had the negative acquisition of a homeowners insurance bill that's much higher than last year's because I got a new roof...

4 people like this

31 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I acquired a renewed vehicle registration and inspection. I also had the negative acquisition of a homeowners insurance bill that's much higher than last year's because I got a new roof...

Can they do that? (roof part).

4 people like this

10 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Can they do that? (roof part).

I changed from an asphalt shingle roof to a metal roof, increasing the value of my home(by $20,000 or so my insurance company says), so my premium went up as well. Which kinda sucks, because the roof cost me a lot of money to put on($8.5k), now it's costing me a lot of money to insure($130/yr), and then it's gonna cost me more money to keep when my house gets reassessed and my taxes go up in the future as well. So in my attempt to not have my roof fall apart, I've given myself an ongoing source of further money drain. And it's just going to get worse as I do things in the future, like get vinyl siding put on and rebuild my porch...

2 people like this

I received my Windsor and Newton #1 Brush today and I am thrilled!  I can already see a difference in my painting!  The paint does not dry out nearly as fast as it did on the #0 or #00 AND I can still get really fine details! Looks like I am gonna have to buy 1 or 2 more at some point!

12 people like this

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I changed from an asphalt shingle roof to a metal roof, increasing the value of my home(by $20,000 or so my insurance company says), so my premium went up as well. Which kinda sucks, because the roof cost me a lot of money to put on($8.5k), now it's costing me a lot of money to insure($130/yr), and then it's gonna cost me more money to keep when my house gets reassessed and my taxes go up in the future as well. So in my attempt to not have my roof fall apart, I've given myself an ongoing source of further money drain. And it's just going to get worse as I do things in the future, like get vinyl siding put on and rebuild my porch...

Sadness. Sorry man. 

6 people like this

Received a few things from Reaper today, thanks you guys. These will keep me busy for the next month or more

01604 Eli Quicknight, 02487 Giant Foo Dog, 02794 Oriental Dragon, 03807 Dragoth the Defiler

aquisition.jpg

12 people like this

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Sadness. Sorry man. 

Is what it is. I just don't understand how they can say that $8.5k of roof adds $20k to the rebuild value of my house. I find it kind of ridiculous. I'm going to hate to see what they say new siding and a new deck add. But those are at least another 3 years away. Gotta pay off the roof first, and it doesn't help that I had to use a personal loan rather than a home equity loan because I don't have enough equity built up. And because I don't think my house would pass an inspection in its current state...

Edited by Unruly
4 people like this

I received my little brother's first novel.  Been reading the ebook due to impatience but so cool to have the hard copy in hand. 

31D77219-C990-42AB-802A-1ECBB633F6B2.thumb.jpg.10596eb40cdaf644497fd09fc580cc1c.jpg

14 people like this

What's it about?

4 people like this

27 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

What's it about?

The Night Guard walk the streets of the old kingdom of Bialta seeking out threats that are beyond the abilities of the common soldier. Nial is one such threat a girl changed into something other and on the hunt for human souls. Salt, a sailor recently rescued by the Night Guard, has been inducted into their ranks. He s a quick study, but as new threats multiply all around them, will he have what it takes to survive? 

Bialta is not alone in its woes. Sacral, a city that vanished in the distant past, has reappeared where it once stood at the heart of the Wastes. Like many of Sacral s people, Maura is content living a quiet life, ignoring the outside world. But she finds herself desperately fighting to save her home as war comes to the city returned.

Meanwhile, across the Great Desert, creatures are stirring. Carver, the last living master of the magic known as fleshcarving, has won the support of the tyrant of Tolrahk Esal. Together they will unleash his twisted creations to sweep across the land and forever disrupt the balance of power. 

In this epic tale, there is no good and evil. Armies march, demons feed, and deities unleash their powers on a world that will never be the same.   

It's flagged as "dark fantasy" which I guess would be accurate.  Very broad world, your usual myriad of races with a core of humanity.  The book follows 4 main characters with a score of supporting ones.  I found none annoyed me and I was happy to get back to whichever one we had left behind a chapter or 2 back.  By the time I had about 50 pages left, the story was reaching it's crescendo and I was looking forward to witnessing the end while dreading not having more to read, which I count as a win as far as a book goes.  Added bonus, there's a character named after me! I have already started pestering him for the sequel (apparently a little over 6 months away...).  

11 people like this

Thst sounds interesting; I'll keep a look out for it.

4 people like this

Picked up over the weekend some cclearance items. Zombicide stuff for $5 each.

pic2453919.jpg

pic1601492.jpg

Fireteam Zero for $20. Wooo

emr06735.jpg

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Is what it is. I just don't understand how they can say that $8.5k of roof adds $20k to the rebuild value of my house. I find it kind of ridiculous. I'm going to hate to see what they say new siding and a new deck add. But those are at least another 3 years away. Gotta pay off the roof first, and it doesn't help that I had to use a personal loan rather than a home equity loan because I don't have enough equity built up. And because I don't think my house would pass an inspection in its current state...

Shop around, seriously. Get insurance quotes from 2-3 other places and switch if they offer better rates. A lot of places will give you steep discounts if you switch all your insurances over to get you as a customer. You need to play the game. I shop around for insurance, cable/satellite service, etc all the time. You need to be proactive to save your hard earned cash. Don't just take it from them without a fight and throughly doing your own due diligence. 

ETA - also if you graduated from a school or are a AAA member or are a state employee or whatever, there are additional discounts out there for being a member of so many things.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
7 people like this

9 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Shop around, seriously. Get insurance quotes from 2-3 other places and switch if they offer better rates. A lot of places will give you steep discounts if you switch all your insurances over to get you as a customer. You need to play the game. I shop around for insurance, cable/satellite service, etc all the time. You need to be proactive to save your hard earned cash. Don't just take it from them without a fight and throughly doing your own due diligence. 

ETA - also if you graduated from a school or are a AAA member or are a state employee or whatever, there are additional discounts out there for being a member of so many things.

And if you are a veteran and not using USAA then its well worth looking into. If you father or mother was a veteran and had USAA you would also qualify.

7 people like this