Thrym

Department of Aquisitions

14058 posts in this topic

My desire to buy from the eurozone before the dollar crashed is starting to look strangely prescient.  Unfortunately I may have started my buying spree a little too late as it fell off a cliff Monday.  Why bring this up?  I received a quarterly bonus a few days ago and decided to turn it into minis.  I'm not sure if I want to consider this my June purchase or just a bonus one, but I have incoming either way.

From Pegaso some historical pieces in 54mm:

Bishop Warrior XIII Century

54-190_1.jpg

St. John Order Knight with flag, first half XIII c.

b2b_PEG_54-117_1.jpg

Saint John Order Knight, Beginning of the XIV Century

b2b_PEG_54-152_1.jpg

I'm also feeling a bit lazy about finishing off my 54mm Ellen Stone so I picked up a western background.

b2b_PEG_ASM-033_1.jpg

And last but certainly not least (as it makes up half my order) I can't stop by Pegaso without picking up something sculpted by Andrea Jula. 

Hi, my name is Natasha and I am NSFW

8 people like this

32 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Also, and unrelated, it occurs to me that unlike with history and Monty Python, in the 40K universe everyone expects the Inquisition.  Frankly it's usually best to just assume they are already there and watching you.

Expecting the Inquisition is HERESY! Report to your nearest Inquisitor for Re-educa*BLAM*

Mentioning Re-education is HERESY! The offender has been purged.

6 people like this

It's here!

20170519_125742.thumb.jpg.3e1b7d3050c422c7041e965079133a25.jpg

*sings* I'm picking up good vibrations.........

My vortex mixer finally arrived. Got this as retail therapy for getting a job and then having it yanked away before I even started.. This is something I badly needed, I've counted at least 300 paints in my collections and, quite frankly, it's more than a little tiring stirring them up every couple months to prevent settling, especially Scale75 paints (thanks, knarthex <_<::P:) This will save me a lot of work, I've already tried it and it works great! It's brand new, the cheapest I could find anywhere, and it ships within Canada. This doth pleaseth me to no end. ::D:

12 people like this

21 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

This cost me far more than I'm usually willing to spend for a novel, but I'm a sucker for a pretty book and the excerpt on the order page scratched my 40K Inquisition itch.

Also, and unrelated, it occurs to me that unlike with history and Monty Python, in the 40K universe everyone expects the Inquisition.  Frankly it's usually best to just assume they are already there and watching you.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

... Djed?

1 person likes this

I have acquired some good pens, some experimental pens, and some good bristol board.

I discovered that the Strathmore bristol board that they sell at Michael's, the stuff I've had such a frustrating time with with bleeding ink and unsympathetic surface, is not Strathmore's first-rate bristol.

In fact, it's not even Strathmore's second-rate bristol.

So, rather than continuing to use Strathmore's third-rate bristol (which has now been relegated to practice, sketching, and maybe pencil work), I've finally gotten some of the good stuff.

And pens.  Did I mention pens?

I am looking forward to some play with materials.

6 people like this

I have acquired a new tent and a new sleeping bag. The new tent is just an upsized version of my old tent, which while still being perfectly functional wasn't really big enough for a week long SCA trip, let alone a 2 week one. The new sleeping bag is to replace a massive one that's probably 20 years old, if not older, and super lumpy now because the years have not been kind to its fill. I also bought a new thing of seam sealer, because I'm pretty sure the one I bought 4 years ago is dried out and, new tent or not, I'm sealing those seams and spraying it with some waterproofing before I take it somewhere for 2 weeks.

Hopefully next week I will acquire a ton of duct tape and a couple cans of Great Stuff spray foam gap sealer to make a sewing form of myself with. Then I will try and make some new garb! I gotta try and make myself look somewhat fancy for Pennsic this year, and my old garb that was basically a bunch of bath towel tunics won't cut it.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

... Djed?

?

2 people like this

This week I've acquired:

• May's 25th anniversary mini
  • A large Plano tackle box for Zombicide storage
  • A drawer tower with 5 drawers for Bones storage
7 people like this

51 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I have acquired a new tent and a new sleeping bag. The new tent is just an upsized version of my old tent, which while still being perfectly functional wasn't really big enough for a week long SCA trip, let alone a 2 week one. The new sleeping bag is to replace a massive one that's probably 20 years old, if not older, and super lumpy now because the years have not been kind to its fill. I also bought a new thing of seam sealer, because I'm pretty sure the one I bought 4 years ago is dried out and, new tent or not, I'm sealing those seams and spraying it with some waterproofing before I take it somewhere for 2 weeks.

Hopefully next week I will acquire a ton of duct tape and a couple cans of Great Stuff spray foam gap sealer to make a sewing form of myself with. Then I will try and make some new garb! I gotta try and make myself look somewhat fancy for Pennsic this year, and my old garb that was basically a bunch of bath towel tunics won't cut it.

Have you looked at museum replicas for garb?

Been dealing with them since 1989, good folks with good service....

3 people like this

Alright, here's the loot my wife brought me from her trip to Japan to take care of her mother for a few weeks.

First off, the misc stuff. From left to right, a Godzilla sticker, bag of gummies shaped like airplanes and green army men, a "relaxing" facial mask in the shape of a Noh mask? actor? (can't remember/care), and a limited edition bottle of Canadian maple syrup (numbered even).

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2001_zpspfqg31do.jpg

Next, a book of Japanese monsters! I forgot that this was something I asked her for, and it was a pleasant surprise. Lots of interesting things that I can't really read. Google translate does some of it, but I can just have her read me bedtime stories I suppose. Second picture is of what I think is one of the more unique monsters that is in the book.

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2002_zpsfoxfyqz8.jpg

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2003_zpsvcynirjj.jpg

Next is the really excited part, the brushes I had her pick up. There's an art store there that carries the Raphael's that I like, and rather cheap compared to what I pay here in Colorado. The local art store used to sell them for $32 each, but got them for $16 and $20 each, roughly, when I got them last Japan trip. Our cat pushed my one brush off the painting desk where the puppy decided it would be fun to chew, so I've been reluctant to paint with it a bit. Bristles are bent to the side, handle has all these little nicks, etc.

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2004_zpsk3mfe5yy.jpg

Then here's the fun figure. It's from a vending machine, and the ball on the right is about palm size. The machine was showing animals with severe under bites. This was Series 2, it seems, as the front of the machine was showing a panda (her favorite animal) but the paper inside the ball showed completely different animals. I got the kangaroo and her joey. Fun! Into the display cabinet it went.

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2005_zpst9nuwubs.jpg

2017%20Japan%20Loot%2006_zpsz6nwxnpd.jpg

12 people like this

32 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

?

It's what the symbol on the book looked like to me, a hieroglyph.  Djed is a column and means stability and order.  It's associated with Osiris, the underworld, and the dead. (Although looking closer I see it's suggestive of a djed, but not exactly a djed.)

Hang on, here's one:

fecf29b28e86c9c7311cfc71f0b2e897.jpg

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, Pingo said:

It's what the symbol on the book looked like to me, a hieroglyph.  Djed is a column and means stability and order.  It's associated with Osiris, the underworld, and the dead. (Although looking closer I see it's suggestive of a djed, but not exactly a djed.)

Hang on, here's one:

fecf29b28e86c9c7311cfc71f0b2e897.jpg

Ah.  In this case, no.  It's a stylized letter "I" for Inquisition.

4 people like this

Volo's Guide to Monsters has arrived! I wasn't planning on getting it just yet, but my son really wants to play an Assimar paladin and my daughter wants to play a Tabaxi thief. Sounds like fun. ☜(◠▽◠)☞

51HEKg8LWtL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

There was a leaaflet that came with my tent that explained that the seams would leak very slightly the first time it was exposed to rain, but after that the seams would swell up and seal the holes. (my tent is a Fjellräven Akka Shape)  

What I look for in a tent is ease of assembly(it can even be assembled in a storm...) 

Watertightness (4000mm watercolumn on outer cover, 10000 on bottom. Yeah, you can just about camp under a waterfall)

Ventilation(this disallows single-cloth designs for obvious reasons. On my tent, all vents can be opened and closed from the inside.)

Weight(1.5Kg without rods, 2.2Kg with them)

Flame proof...  (The fabric of my tent can be melted, but is very difficult to actually set on fire) 

Compact packaging.(packs down to a bundle smaller than a light sleepingbag in a compression bag)

Tents with taped seams?

Stay the elf away!

The seams are not waterproof on their own, and the tape will fail sooner or later, either by the glue failing, or the tape 'rotting' because it's not UV stable. 

I've used too many cheap 'igloo' type tents to ever, ever use one again, so I spent $500 on something decent for once. 

Never regretted it. 

I have a couple of reasonably modern bags with dfferent temperature ratings, but I also have a pair of post-war ex-military bags with Kapok filler, and keep one of those in my car if I'm driving anywere in the winter. This because Kapok fibers will insulate even if they get wet. 

4 people like this

So, I received a new shirt from my wife. Well, I'm going to get it at some point as she ordered it last night. It's a black shirt with a left gauntlet - the symbol of the Iron Hands Space Marine Chapter. They were my first and still favourite Chapter. When the pain gets really bad, I use their motto as a mantra: "The flesh is weak." Anyway, the text around the Chapter Symbol says "Humans do not submit to fate, we shape it". Pretty neat if you ask me.

591f6cc4614cf_IronHandsShirt.jpg.e524a837f4bdedafa6678d18eaa962c4.jpg

I think I'll score some cool points amongst the old gaming group when I hobble into the store or some of them come over to the new house. Oh yeah, we also acquired a new house and it's all finalized. The shirt's cooler though ^_^!

14 people like this