Thrym

Department of Aquisitions

14082 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

There was a leaaflet that came with my tent that explained that the seams would leak very slightly the first time it was exposed to rain, but after that the seams would swell up and seal the holes. (my tent is a Fjellräven Akka Shape)  

What I look for in a tent is ease of assembly(it can even be assembled in a storm...) 

Watertightness (4000mm watercolumn on outer cover, 10000 on bottom. Yeah, you can just about camp under a waterfall)

Ventilation(this disallows single-cloth designs for obvious reasons. On my tent, all vents can be opened and closed from the inside.)

Weight(1.5Kg without rods, 2.2Kg with them)

Flame proof...  (The fabric of my tent can be melted, but is very difficult to actually set on fire) 

Compact packaging.(packs down to a bundle smaller than a light sleepingbag in a compression bag)

I seam seal all of my tents regardless of what the instructions say.. especially the ground seams..  

I need to take my canvas tent and have it cleaned and repaired.  We won't be using it at Pennsic if we're only there for 5 days.. which means buying a new tent thats smaller and less hassle.. 

3 people like this

On 5/18/2017 at 4:29 PM, Erifnogard said:

This cost me far more than I'm usually willing to spend for a novel, but I'm a sucker for a pretty book and the excerpt on the order page scratched my 40K Inquisition itch.

Also, and unrelated, it occurs to me that unlike with history and Monty Python, in the 40K universe everyone expects the Inquisition.  Frankly it's usually best to just assume they are already there and watching you.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

So jelly right now...

4 people like this

49 minutes ago, Mehman said:

So jelly right now...

Don't recognize the titles though...

But I have not kept up with Black Library either...

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Volo's Guide to Monsters has arrived! I wasn't planning on getting it just yet, but my son really wants to play an Assimar paladin and my daughter wants to play a Tabaxi thief. Sounds like fun. ☜(◠▽◠)☞

51HEKg8LWtL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a fun one.  Last November I was at a sci fi convention and got eyeprints all over the copy a group of enthusiastic young persons were poring over (enthusiastic young persons are awesome, btw, and a lovely sign that the hobby is healthy).  They were excited enough about it that we picked up a copy for one of our young'uns.

56 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

I seam seal all of my tents regardless of what the instructions say.. especially the ground seams..  

I need to take my canvas tent and have it cleaned and repaired.  We won't be using it at Pennsic if we're only there for 5 days.. which means buying a new tent thats smaller and less hassle.. 

When I was (briefly) in the SCA, the persons in charge of the local group were bedazzled with the tentmaking skills of an elder who bragged of the "authenticity" of waterproofing his tent with beeswax.

It was only some years later that the potential horror of that dawned on me.

Edited by Pingo
Space between merged posts
4 people like this

51 minutes ago, Mehman said:

So, I received a new shirt from my wife. Well, I'm going to get it at some point as she ordered it last night. It's a black shirt with a left gauntlet - the symbol of the Iron Hands Space Marine Chapter. They were my first and still favourite Chapter. When the pain gets really bad, I use their motto as a mantra: "The flesh is weak." Anyway, the text around the Chapter Symbol says "Humans do not submit to fate, we shape it". Pretty neat if you ask me.

591f6cc4614cf_IronHandsShirt.jpg.e524a837f4bdedafa6678d18eaa962c4.jpg

I think I'll score some cool points amongst the old gaming group when I hobble into the store or some of them come over to the new house. Oh yeah, we also acquired a new house and it's all finalized. The shirt's cooler though ^_^!

I have no idea what that is but it looks awesome!

I'm about to order this shirt for my daughter. Just need to double check on the size difference between the standard and premium. 

Deadly-Attack.jpg

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

Attracted bees?

I used to use beeswax mixed with petroleum jelly when I waxed my handle bar mustache years ago...

Could NOT find mustache wax anywhere, so made my own...

Stopped that years ago now...

Sometimes it makes me sad,

But it was a pain in the elf....

1 minute ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I have no idea what that is but it looks awesome!

I'm about to order this shirt for my daughter. Just need to double check on the size difference between the standard and premium. 

Deadly-Attack.jpg

PM me with where I can get one for mine please!

Edited by knarthex
5 people like this

2 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Attracted bees?

Not fireproof.

In fact, kind of anti-fireproof.

A deathtrap, you might say, in the presence of any open flame.

8 people like this

4 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Not fireproof.

In fact, kind of anti-fireproof.

A deathtrap, you might say, in the presence of any open flame.

Ah...

Bad, in other words...

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, knarthex said:

PM me with where I can get one for mine please!

Happily! ::D:

2 people like this

Just picked this book up off of the river site....

killerbowlfront.thumb.jpg.3ca924394d1b82deb949defb5e574e36.jpgkillerbowlback.thumb.jpg.ac36e150aa8e8411468f09117e3ff633.jpg

Friend in highschool, (I graduated in 1981), loaned me this after he got it out of his local library...

Those of you that play the "Fantasy Football" games will likely get a kick out of it....

4 people like this

My wife ordered me a lightbox earlier this week.  It arrived today, and it makes a heck of a difference.  I need to go reshoot a bunch of terrain and miniature pics.

7 people like this

15 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Just picked this book up off of the river site....

killerbowlfront.thumb.jpg.3ca924394d1b82deb949defb5e574e36.jpgkillerbowlback.thumb.jpg.ac36e150aa8e8411468f09117e3ff633.jpg

Friend in highschool, (I graduated in 1981), loaned me this after he got it out of his local library...

Those of you that play the "Fantasy Football" games will likely get a kick out of it....

Ah, the 1970s.

If I'm not mistaken, Gary K. Wolf is also the author of Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, the very dark and cynical fantasy noir novel that Disney sweetened up and, well, changed utterly to make the movie (keeping, at least, the character names and some of the worldbuilding).

5 people like this

Boeing 747 thrusters & Crown of Fangs prepaints came today. Extremely fast shipping (ebay seller) in regards to the CoF minis!!

3 people like this

7 hours ago, knarthex said:

Have you looked at museum replicas for garb?

Been dealing with them since 1989, good folks with good service....

I prefer to learn to make my own stuff when I can. I've made roughly 1/3 of my current armor, with plans to make the rest of it in the future when I have the time and money. Garb is going to be the same way. It's part of the SCAdian lifestyle to learn to make stuff. Plus, it usually ends up being a lot cheaper with a much better fit. Especially if I get the tailoring dummy made right.

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There was a leaaflet that came with my tent that explained that the seams would leak very slightly the first time it was exposed to rain, but after that the seams would swell up and seal the holes. (my tent is a Fjellräven Akka Shape)  

What I look for in a tent is ease of assembly(it can even be assembled in a storm...) 

Watertightness (4000mm watercolumn on outer cover, 10000 on bottom. Yeah, you can just about camp under a waterfall)

Ventilation(this disallows single-cloth designs for obvious reasons. On my tent, all vents can be opened and closed from the inside.)

Weight(1.5Kg without rods, 2.2Kg with them)

Flame proof...  (The fabric of my tent can be melted, but is very difficult to actually set on fire) 

Compact packaging.(packs down to a bundle smaller than a light sleepingbag in a compression bag)

Tents with taped seams?

Stay the elf away!

The seams are not waterproof on their own, and the tape will fail sooner or later, either by the glue failing, or the tape 'rotting' because it's not UV stable. 

I've used too many cheap 'igloo' type tents to ever, ever use one again, so I spent $500 on something decent for once. 

Never regretted it. 

This tent has stitched and welded seams, just like the old one, which didn't really leak except when we had a storm that was threatening to destroy just about everything. And even then it was minor. But I seam seal everything regardless. It's part of my prep for any new tent, and something I repeat every few years.

I get by fine enough with cheap tents for now, because the only real camping I do is at Pennsic. But if I ever spend $500+ on a tent, it's going to be for a period canvas tent. But that won't happen until I get either a truck or a car that can haul a trailer, because my Honda Fit barely fits everything I need for long SCA events as is. Packing up canvas and wooden tent poles just isn't something I can do at present.

2 people like this

The Honda Fit, known as the Jaz in Scandinavia because someone spoiled our fun and revealed to the Honda executives what 'Fit' sounded like here... 

Tents... 

Every few years?

I think I've had mine for a decade now...   ;-)

I hope it came with proper pegs, not those soft steel wire pins they like to foist upon the unawares.

(I use triangular aluminium profiles. The first time you hit a rock, or just hard soil, you'll understand why they're worth it)

7 people like this