Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reaperbryan

Kickstarter Forum Posting Guidelines

11 posts in this topic

Please Review our Board Rules.  These rules apply in all forums of this message Board.

We recognize the roles Kickstarter and Crowdfunding have played in our industry, and in an effort to further that role and help others, we provide the space for discussion of other projects.  We believe that the community and the industry benefit from discussion of the existence of a project, the merits of a project, or the lack thereof. Given that there are high profile success stories and high profile failures, it is important that the community be free to discuss projects, so long as they comport themselves with civility and respect.

Over the years, we have learned that more new members will post for the first time in the Kickstarter Subforum than in any other, so we invite new members and posters to review these rules.

When discussing a Kickstarter project, the creators, backers, critics, or proponents of a project, remember specifically this rule: You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Please note that this includes use of the Private Message system to post any of the above.  

Should you believe a post or Private Message violates the above rule, use the Report Button, located in the lower right corner of the post/message, and do not engage the alleged offender.

This post's primary purpose is to clarify this rule:
This board is not to be used to ... conduct commerce in general without express permission from the forum administrator.

The Forum Administrator provisionally grants permission to post direct links to Kickstarter Projects, or Crowdfunded projects on Indiegogo.  All other platforms are prohibited, unless receiving prior approval by the Moderation Team. Patreon, Fig or "Nickstarter" projects are strictly prohibited and will not be given pre-approval under any circumstances. The Forum Administrator or other moderators reserve the right to remove threads, posts, or links to projects for any reason or no reason, revoking permission for this commercial activity.

• Each project should have its own unique thread, appropriately titled with the name of the project and optionally the creator.  Duplicate threads for the same project will be merged as they are discovered.
  • It is permissible to link to the project homepage, updates, or comment sections.
  • In most cases it is permissible to link to company websites, blogs, news sites, or message board posts where relevant information about the merits or lack of merits of a project can be found. Some external links may come under heightened scrutiny, and may be determined to be beyond our guidelines.
  • It is not permissible to link to a projects' post-project pledge manager, without express permission, especially if that manager accepts additional funds beyond the original project goal or pledge.  These systems do not further the goals of the project by unlocking stretch goals or enabling goal completion, and are considered tools of commerce without providing merit to this community.  Links to project updates where the link to the pledge manager is given are permissible - because these updates serve an informational need to the backing community.
  • It is not permissible to link to the webstore or retail site of any Kickstarter Funded item(s).  
  • It is not permissible to use this forum, including the Private Message Function of this forum, to conduct trades or invite resale of Kickstarter funded items.
  • After a project has completed fulfillment, the thread may be closed by the moderators to prevent abuse and promote an organized message board.
Edited by ladystorm
Revised
9 people like this

Please note that, for readability only, all "Late" prefix tags have now been changed to "Delayed".

3 people like this

It is time to remind users that we have rules about what can be posted in this forum.

If the Project is not on either Kickstarter or on Indiegogo, it is not welcome to be shared without express permission in advance by the Mod Team.

Posting it first and expecting it to be approved later will lead to suspension of posting privileges in this subforum.

This post's primary purpose is to clarify this rule:
This board is not to be used to ... conduct commerce in general without express permission from the forum administrator.

The Forum Administrator provisionally grants permission to post direct links to Kickstarter Projects, or Crowdfunded projects on Indiegogo.  All other platforms are prohibited, unless receiving prior approval by the Moderation Team. Patreon, Fig or "Nickstarter" projects are strictly prohibited and will not be given pre-approval under any circumstances. The Forum Administrator or other moderators reserve the right to remove threads, posts, or links to projects for any reason or no reason, revoking permission for this commercial activity.

1 person likes this

Somebody's gonna bring it up sooner or later, so I'm gonna get the thought running, pending answers:

What manner of posting is acceptable on the Reaper boards when a KS goes south in some way? Examples would include extremely delayed fulfillment, failure to fulfill, sudden loss of communications, failure to update, and honest desire on the part of patrons to communicate with each other, ranging from "does anyone have any information?" to "they mean well, but they've run across some unexpected issues," to "these people are honest, but their product is subpar," to "watch out for these guys, they're a buncha crooks."

There have been issues of this sort here in the past. It's a given that the mods can't foresee every situation, but it occurs to me that guidelines on a sticky might help keep board issues to a minimum. Among them what reads the stickies, anyway.

Somebody's gonna bring it up sooner or later, so I'm gonna get the thought running, pending answers:

What manner of posting is acceptable on the Reaper boards when a KS goes south in some way? Examples would include extremely delayed fulfillment, failure to fulfill, sudden loss of communications, failure to update, and honest desire on the part of patrons to communicate with each other, ranging from "does anyone have any information?" to "they mean well, but they've run across some unexpected issues," to "these people are honest, but their product is subpar," to "watch out for these guys, they're a buncha crooks."

There have been issues of this sort here in the past. It's a given that the mods can't foresee every situation, but it occurs to me that guidelines on a sticky might help keep board issues to a minimum. Among them what reads the stickies, anyway.

Currently projects with the issues you've described fall under the Delayed Tag and typically remain open for discussion until fulfilment is completed or the thread devolves in such a manner that forum guidelines are broken, in which case it is often then locked.

The Moderation team does monitor threads for projects that for whatever reason have become contentious and in general I've found most discussions have remained civil and informative. Something I myself am thankful for as I have several projects I have backed in this status and appreciate receiving any news on them, even if it's not always good news.

3 people like this

and to expand what Darsc has said, the standard understanding of the clause below applies.

you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
1 person likes this

PLEASE!

Before starting a thread on a new kickstarter look through the forum to ensure that such a thread does not already exist!

This can be most easily done by clicking on the LIVE Tag found at the beginning of any subject line of any LIVE kickstarter thread.

Doing so will bring up ALL the LIVE kickstarter threads in the forum making it quite easy to see if one on that subject already exists.

8 people like this

I am a newbie here, but how do you post a "live" project? I already posted one, so I don't know if tagging it with "live" counts, but would ask any mods here to extend a helping hand if possible. Thank you!

1 person likes this

I am a newbie here, but how do you post a "live" project? I already posted one, so I don't know if tagging it with "live" counts, but would ask any mods here to extend a helping hand if possible. Thank you!

Yes, tagging it with live and providing a link to the live project is sufficient.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So it looks like the new software auto embeds the link instead of just posting the link.  You can switch this when you are posting, but we probably should get a guideline on how you want it handled.

Edited by SamuraiJack
1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

So it looks like the new software auto embeds the link instead of just posting the link.  You can switch this when you are posting, but we probably should get a guideline on how you want it handled.

embedded links is fine. There's no need to work around forum functionality for this.

1 person likes this