TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

19 hours ago, John Fiala said:

This would be easier if food didn't taste so good.

So true. I am reassessing my diet after a year of changes.  I met my weight and strength goals in 2018, and unfortunately it did not hold for long.  Between holiday treats and getting sick, and winter comfort foods I managed to add not 5 but 10 lbs.  I do not know how much of that is muscle vs fat.  I am still going to the gym every week and I know I have developed a lot of strength.  

I want to try some elimination diets (sugar, dairy, nightshades) and see if that affects my health and pain levels. 

Fortunately, my goals are in line with my spouse's and we will be eating along the lines of a low carb/keto diet, going to the gym weekly, and giving each other support. 

• Like 3

On 12/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, LittleBluberry said:

I've lost about 20 lbs this year.  Which isn't a huge amount, but it reverses several years of weight gain due to poor health, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

I've yet to read an article about dieting that tells you how much or how rapidly you should lose weight, so don't worry about it, so long as you're *healthier*. IMO, The scale is not a good way to measure progress. When you initially lose weight, it's mostly glycogen, not fat. Glycogen is energy stored in muscle and liver. Glycogen is water-soluble, meaning that it binds to water. So, as you use up your glycogen reserves, the weight lost is water and glycogen, not fat. The problem about the scale, then, is that it doesn't tell you what you gained during your diet -- and most dieters assume this weight gain is somehow fat. If your glycogen reserves are low and you go off your diet during the holidays, your initial weight gain is glycogen and water, meaning that you will lose this weight once you're back on the diet. For those who workout to gain muscle, weight gain may be due to muscle mass increase. Seems obvious, but posts on Reddit's r/diet ans SparkPeople have said otherwise. Besides the scale, fitting into small clothing shows progress. Dieters can also measure body fat with calipers (search on "body fat measurement calipers"). During your physical, your doctor will have you take various lab tests to indicate your health.

And, of course, if you know you're eating better, you are!

• Like 3

I'll mention what's worked for me.

Low carb diet : Simple carbs have been shown to stimulate hunger. Proteins and fat have been shown to satiate. Saturated fats have been shown not to be as unhealthy as once thought. If your family has a history of diabetes (type 2), low carb diets reduce blood glucose levels, resulting in reduced chances of diabetes. (Low carb diets, btw, lower your levels of insulin as well, resulting in less salt retained and less oily skin and sometimes acne!) Search on "simple carbohydrates leptin hormone triglycerides" and "Jason Fung Aetiology of Obesity" and "low carb blood glucose insulin" for more information.

Cheat days : Temptation is everywhere, particularly when socializing with friends. Rather than psychologically beating yourself up, take a cheat day instead. You won't lose weight as rapidly (it may take half a week to recover from a cheat day) but cheat days may help you stick to your diet and not stress over it.

Meal planning : Meal planning and tracking have been shown to reduce weight, even when not on a diet. If you have a busy lifestyle, search on "meal prep sunday" for how to prepare and store meals for the week by cooking all in one day.

Recipes : By reducing your intake of pre-prepared foods (eg. eating out and pre-packaged food), you reduce your intake of hidden salts and sugar. Besides potential unhealthy effects, hidden salts and sugars may encourage you to eat more food, making dieting more difficult.

While I don't know if I'll be on this thread often, I post on Reddit's r/diet and r/lowcarb boards, as well as the SparkPeople "Diet and Nutrition" boards. 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 11:43 AM, ced1106 said:

I'll mention what's worked for me.

Cheat days : Temptation is everywhere, particularly when socializing with friends. Rather than psychologically beating yourself up, take a cheat day instead. You won't lose weight as rapidly (it may take half a week to recover from a cheat day) but cheat days may help you stick to your diet and not stress over it.

Yeah, one of the things I like about Weight Watchers is that although you get a daily budget of points based on sex and weight and age, you also get a number of weekly points that you can use as needed, either a little bit every day or save all at once to have a day when you do eat that <<broccoli>>* hamburger.

*Not actually broccoli.  I'm enjoying how the forum replaces swear words.

I don't do cheat days, but I do plan in treats as part of the diet.  Places like SparkPeople give you tools to calculate your calories, fat and carbs, and you can look up and see what a square of two of dark chocolate, or a cup of fruit "costs" and work in things you enjoy.  I've also found some good substitutions that allow me to have treats I would otherwise give up.  Like almond milk in my latte instead of whole cuts ~130 calories off the top. 

I was on SparkPeople for a while but it doesn't want to let me log in now. :(

• Like 1

Last year was successful enough that I'm not setting any specific goals this year.  I'll just send positive vibes and such towards the rest of you. 

• Like 3

I have fallen way behind on any sort of weight loss goals. Even though I've gained a little weight(on top of the weight I already needed to lose) I've had no motivation due to depression and life events. I'm hoping that I will start getting back on the horse soon. Husband and I both need to lose weight but it's hard for either of us to do things on our own workout wise. So we're going to start slow and start walking a couple times a week and build up to an, as of yet, undetermined amount of times/distance.

• Like 2

I find that setting a goal and working towards that to be very helpful.  For me, at my worst, it was walking a few hundred feet to the end of the block and back.  When I could do that without being winded, I went to the end of the street.  I kept moving my goalpost until I was walking several miles easily, and within a few months I did a 2k walk for charity with my husband. 

At the moment I am working on being able to cycle at a challenging level, for 5 mins, at a heart rate of 145, and not be winded so much I can't walk out of the gym after. :)  Right now I'm able to get up to 145, but not keep it there without running out of stamina. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While exercising is very good for your health, keep in mind that studies have shown that weight loss is about 70% what you eat and 30% exercise.

So if you don't feel like exercising, you can still lose weight.

Plan your meals and intake, be forgiving when you crave something sweet/fat as long as you don't overdo it.

Go for the long term, slowly adjust the lifestyle instead of crash diets which are actually counterproductive and bad for your health.

Slowly replace the less healthy choice for a healthier choice, try to lower sugar/salt/saturated fat intake and above all, enjoy what you eat.

Don't eat mindlessly in front of a TV.

Sit down and have a proper meal.

Good luck all!

• Like 2

Yeah, I need to start sorting out the diet part of this whole weight loss thing.

I've been exercising my socks off for a while now with not much to show for it (I think it mostly just stops me getting fatter).

• Like 2

It's also good to start reading the information available on the various ways of eating.  There is a lot to learn and it can seem contradictory.  There are significant differences between low fat eating and keto/low carb eating.  Both will help you lose weight, but not if you mix and match menu plans.  Look at the allowed/ disallowed foods lists and pick one you can live with long term.  Weight Watchers is good if you want to eat everything, but in limited portion sizes.  Whatever you choose, it's important to understand how your diet works, why you are eating or not eating something,  and how to make the right choices when you are at a restaurant. 

Exercise by itself builds strong bones and muscles (and heart) and increases endurance, but doesn't burn nearly as many calories as people think.  You can undo an hour at the gym with half a candy bar.  The key is to not eat more food than your body uses in a day. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, John Fiala said:

Well, I've started my own journey to losing weight, signing up with Weight Watchers and paying more attention to what I eat.

This would be easier if food didn't taste so good.

Well, we're off to a good start.  Before the holiday I visited my doctor and was weighed in around 360 pounds - and last Saturday I weighed in at WW at 357.8.  So, even though I ate pretty well over the holiday, I still managed to lose some weight, even though I wasn't actively trying to lose until the new year.  

It's helped that I went on a trip with family to Legoland, an amusement park, and thus spent a *lot* of time walking around the park for a couple of days, which was good exercise.  (I also ate good food, but I think I moderated my intake.)  

• Like 3

I'm still standing around 210 just like last year this time...I really need to get back on the wagon and stop setting it on fire for insurance money for cupcakes...i'd be happy just to be below 200 again for starters.

• Like 2

Weighed in on Wednesday. According to my scale I'm roughly 212 lbs. currently. Not sure how that differs from the doctor's office scale since I haven't been since...November? I'll find out middle/end of next month. 

I plan on weighing in weekly. Going to start with weekly walks, maybe twice weekly if we aren't super busy. I plan on getting the living room cleaned up/moved around enough so I can start doing Wii Fit again. I don't really have access/funds to a proper gym but once I get my asthma under control a little more I plan on utilizing the kind of gym that is in the office building of the apartments I'm in. Once we get some money for spending on whatever I want to get some light weights to do at home along with resistance bands. 

• Like 4