TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I should mention that I fasted for about twenty-four hours before having my waist measured.  So, that's probably 3-5 pounds or so that isn't "real" weight loss.  I'll probably be a week or two before I'm down this far legitimately.

• Like 3

I think I will join you guys as I was planning on working on my weight.

Start date: July 01

Height: 5' 9"

Goal: 250 lb

Initial Weight: 355 lb

Progress:

Immediate goal would be to lose 20lbs between now and the end of September when I am flying to see my parents. Long term goal would be to loose 100 lbs between now and next year. To accomplish this I plan on cutting back on my eating out, eating more veggies and fruits, and start walking each day. I had a medical condition that contributed to my weight gain, with that cured I now need to work on changing my habits.

• Like 7

Question about thread etiquette - do we edit our OP with stats when we weigh, or create new posts?

It was my intent to edit my original so that all the info is in one spot and not lost.  I really think that would be best.

You can always add a bump post to let everyone know you updated it.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 1

Coincidentally, I recently finished my previous goal of getting through phase 1 of my allergy shots.  Next on the list was supposed to be weight loss and improved health & fitness.  I'm not really a calorie counting sort of person, so I'm just going to dig out a Wii Fit Meter and use my Wii U to monitor my weight.  The Fit Meter just is a fancy pedometer, and I've heard good things about using step counts as your primary method for improving health, especially in women.  I also tend to lose weight during the summer, so this is a good time to start.  I'm not in a particular hurry but I'd like to lose about 2lbs per month.

Start date: July 01

Height: 5' 5" (I think.  I've actually gotten shorter over time, I used to be almost 5'6".)

Goal: 160 lb  (Not my "ideal weight", but the weight I was about 10 years ago.)

Initial Weight: 188 lb

Progress: Up and down.  Currently at: 184 lb  (Jul 16)

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 6

I'm in! Back in college, 13 or so years ago, I was 270 lbs, then I went and worked in Switzerland for a summer which changed my diet, exercise, etc and I started losing weight. Two years later, I biked 1000 miles in a week and was down to 190 lbs. Then I moved in with my now wife and had ample quantities of delicious food for dinner every night and entertaining things to do other than ride my bike. Ten years and a PhD later, I've started bumping back into 270 lbs. My wife on the other hand went from thin but relatively low activity levels to running marathons like they were a Sunday walk.

Now we're expecting our first child (Labor Day weekend) and she's been slowed up a bit so I'm taking this as my opportunity to catch up with her. My goal is to sustain a 7.5 minute mile for 6 miles and run a half-marathon (Oct 19th) in less than 2 hours. I need to drop a few dozen pounds to make this healthy as well. I've been using "Noom" to track my eating and activity levels and I've been experimenting with various running apps. For eating, I've cut down on high "glycemic load" foods and eat more leafy greens, but really the exercise cuts down on my appetite significantly.

Start Date: May 14, 2014

Old Rules: run every week day until the baby is born - Made it! He's a healthy boy, born 8/23 at 11:11 am

New Rules: Exercise 5 days a week, run 3 days a week.

Height: 6'6"

Goal: 240 lbs (Aug 28th), 210 lbs (Dec 22nd, 10th anniversary), Oct 19th half marathon ran it in just under 2 hours 9 minutes.

Initial Weight: 267 lbs

Pre-Baby Final: 238.6 lbs, Ran 258.8 miles (August 22)

Current Weight: 235.2 lbs (October 20)

Charts: Running and Weight

Push Up Challenge: Initial test: 13, Days Done: 1 of 18 (I will make progress on this, eventually.)

My wife and brother follow this diet, not very well known so Id thought Id share it. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

Also, good luck to all! :D

I tried a 5:2 diet and quickly dropped 15 lbs (in a month) and then plateaued (for another month). Even after a couple months of it though, it was pretty much impossible for me to get any work done in the afternoon on fasting days so I gave it up and regained those 15 pounds in a few weeks. I'm sure it works for some people, but my eating fuels my brain too much for me to follow it.

Edited by falstius
  • Like 8

Sure, I'll join! I started striving to improve my health a couple of weeks ago, so this is perfect timing! :D

I actually don't plan on using my weight as a measure of progress, since my weight does not tend to fluctuate much. Also, it's only in the last 5 years or so that I've actually been a healthy weight; I tended toward being underweight through high school and most of college. 

Instead, it's my overall fitness and, um, squishiness levels that have gone down and up, respectively. So I'm going by waist/hip measurements instead, since my ultimate goal is to have all of my pants not be uncomfortably tight anymore, which they have been for the past couple of years.  ^_^

Start date: June 22

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Goal: 32" waist, 38 1/2" hip

Initial measurement: 33" waist, 39 1/2" hip

OneBoot's personal nutrition/fitness rules:

1. Drink at least 6 cups of fluid every day, 8 is better. More specifically, more water and/or fruit juice, milk counts as well. I'm not a big soda drinker; this is more about ensuring I'm properly hydrated! I've found that flavored/"vitamin" water helps with this, since my mouth finds plain water incredibly boring and so I don't drink it much.
  2. Eat breakfast every morning. This is something I've struggled with most of my life due to usually running late in the mornings. Now that I'm home all day, I have no excuse. :)
  3. Eat at least one fruit and one vegetable per day. I'm doing pretty good with the fruit so far (banana with breakfast, yay!), but need to improve in the vegetable department. Once I've gotten both worked into my routine, increase to two each.
  4. Healthy munchies only! Candy is for dessert, not snacking. If I'm craving sugar, it means I need real food. However, I won't cut sweets out of my diet entirely; this only leads to much splurging and much guilt. Substitutions are better; a small chocolate pudding will fill the craving just as well as a big bowl of chocolate ice cream will!
  5. Exercise every day: see following. This will be accomplished via three different fitness videos that are on their way to me right now: a video all about joint mobility and stretching, a yogalates video (yoga + pilates), and a bellydancing for fitness video (which I'm very excited about; I've never done bellydancing before, and I think it will be a lot more fun than more traditional exercise, which will encourage me to do it more often!). Once flexibility/general fitness levels have improved, add a cardio dancing video.

I'm really excited about this, and I've already started implementing the eating habits goals. I've noticed that I'm less tired throughout the day, and less inclined to snack on unhealthy stuff throughout the day, and the only things I've really changed have been eating breakfast, adding a banana to my day at some point, and drinking more fluids. 

Progress:

• 6/29/2014 - Initial measurement

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

Well..I'm at lunch right now so this will be shorter...

Oddly enough I'm starting by ditching the ramen, and having peanuts and cherries for lunch. I'm also training for Warrior Dash

I also use fitocracy to track because you level up, get achievements, do quests and so forth.

Race: werewolf

Height: 5'7"

Starting weight: 179

Goal weight: irrelevant

I say irrelevant because how you feel is more than a number. It's simply better fitness level. I plan on increasing muscle mass (better for a Cade Skywalker cosplay, and Michael Carpenter) and increasing durability and run distance.

• Like 5

Arg, I had a really long post written and closed the browser when I went to lunch rather than minimized it. D'oh.

• Like 2

As a fellow fencer, go go go! Here's to success in meeting your goal!

Nice to know there's another fencer around. ::):  I want to get at least a D in Epee if not a C next year.  I just can't move or change directions fast enough at this weight, nor can I keep up with the younger guys anymore. I lost all my ratings last year because I've been fighting a series of health issues and been barely able to keep fencing, much less compete, so I'm back to a U.   ::(:   If I can get the weight under control though, it will help a lot.  My point/blade control is stellar, but my body just can't keep up.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 5

Lots of people discussing drinking more... my general rule is if your pee is any color but clear (or at least mostly clear, barring diet things like cabbage and asperagus) you've not drunk enough. I fill a 1.5 liter water bottle 2 times a day, minimum, during the summer, and drink it throughout the day - I have a rule that if I hit 1pm and the bottle's not empty, I chug the rest, and the same about an hour before bed (so I'm not waking up in the middle of the night). Usually I don't have to do that, though - I have a massive sweet tooth, so I add crystal light or something and it gets drunk...

The key for me is avoiding dehydration. Especially with summer coming, I know I need to drink a lot - I used to go to a vocational school, and I remember what it was like to be on the boats without drinking; every year we'd have a few freshmen drop from the combination of wave motion, direct sun, glare and heat. One of the important things to remember if you're out in the sun is that it's actually true that you won't want to drink, especially if it's humid - at first you'll be thirsty, but then you get a headache and won't want water even if someone offers it to you. That's why it's so important to set physical quantities to drink, and time limits in which to drink them - otherwise, you can keep going until you get heatstroke or whatever, and you'll still be refusing water. When I was an animal handler for a park, we had one of the camp kids get sunsick, and he was refusing to drink or take fluids at all - we literally had to hold him and tip the fluids into his mouth... We had a rule that you had to finish your water by the end of lunch, and he'd been running to the bathroom to pour it down the sink...

• Like 6

I tried Fitocracy for awhile; my problem with it was it seemed geared toward runners/weight lifters, neither of which includes me.  :down: Granted, this was maybe 3 years ago, so maybe it's changed since.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D