TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I tried Fitocracy for awhile; my problem with it was it seemed geared toward runners/weight lifters, neither of which includes me.  :down: Granted, this was maybe 3 years ago, so maybe it's changed since.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I'm tracking my daily walks with Runtastic.  Despite the name it does walking, cycling, jogging, anything that moves.

Fitocracy looked to me like it was geared for gym style workouts.  Machines, stationary bikes, etc.

I've been very happy with my Jawbone UP for tracking steps and sleep, but most of the wearable trackers are roughly the same and are different in the details in relatively minor ways. All will help encourage you to walk more.

Ron

• Like 1

As a fellow fencer, go go go! Here's to success in meeting your goal!

Nice to know there's another fencer around. ::):  I want to get at least a D in Epee if not a C next year.  I just can't move or change directions fast enough at this weight, nor can I keep up with the younger guys anymore. I lost all my ratings last year because I've been fighting a series of health issues and been barely able to keep fencing, much less compete, so I'm back to a U.   ::(:   If I can get the weight under control though, it will help a lot.  My point/blade control is stellar, but my body just can't keep up.

That's a great goal to have. I've found that once the body cooperates, it is amazing to see what it remembers. I'm sure the D will be a piece of cake.

• Like 1

I like Tap&Track because it track both calories I take in and calories I expend through exercise, giving me a running total for the day.

• Like 1

Yeah, I should probably jump on this too. It's been almost a year since I retired from active duty and I went full-bore lazy. Haven't done any significant exercise in that time. The other week I got on a scale and was appalled. This past weekend I had to buy new pants :grr: This is particularly irritating for me because up until around 32 I never had to worry about my weight. Now it keeps creeping up on me. My biggest problem aside from not exercising is snacking and snacking on sweets. Otherwise my meals are reasonably healthy and not excessive portions (most of the time I can't finish what is served in a restaurant and take it home).

So for me, the plan is to start exercising again and drastically reduce sugar intake.

Start: July 1, 2014

Height: 5'10"

Goal: 170lbs, bonus strech goal of 160 lbs (this may be problematic due to muscle mass)

Starting Weight: 207 lbs

Current Weight: Check back next week

Edited to correct starting weight.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 5

I'll have to fill in my data this evening but I'm in. 

I've joined Weight watchers due to being a comfort eater and having most of the things I enjoy doing being pretty sedentary.

I have lots and lots to loose!

• Like 1

To celebrate losing over twenty pounds in a month, I'm having a pizza tonight.  Tomorrow, it's back on the diet.   Especially important to keep the diet up because I'm going to be stuck on my butt for the next few weeks.

• Like 5

I recommend a tour in Afghanistan. Although saying that my access to unhealthy food and time to sit at a PC webs-surfing is greater than at home. But the heat's a killer, and as a combat engineer there's a lot of lifting and carrying.

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 6

Honestly, I probably would have gained weight in Afghanistan if I hadn't spent so much time in the gym.  My work involves sitting in front of a computer on an air-conditioned airplane for eight to twelve hours listening to a radio.  And the food in the DFAC, while repetitive, was pretty good (and fattening).

• Like 4

I am going to track my progress via MyFitnessPal and will post landmarks here.

So:  before and after pictures?  any interest in starting a shared spreadsheet we can track progress with?

• Like 1

Start date: May 16 (I already started but am just now having issues keeping it going alone)

Height: 5'0 /sobs

Goal Weight: Less than what I currently am. Ideally 120; realistically in the amount of time I'm aiming for anything between 160-140 (I'll reach the peak of ease through this and pushing for the ideal may make me give up sooner so setting my goal reasonably won't make me give up as soon.

Initial Weight: Far too high for comfort. 

Progress: I lost about 20lbs, got sick and gained 10 but have managed to keep off the other 10. It's a positive sign for me at least. I've had minor fluctuations from 6 down to 3 up to 5 down and etc. I'm going to try my keto diet again, it's what got me to drop the weight fast before with a 20lb loss in barely two months with average effort on my end. This time I intend to put forth the effort with gym work.

Downside: I won't fit my cute corsets anymore /sobs. 

Nine, practically 10 months to Reaper Con, if I could lose 8-10lbs a month, I would be good. There's no Thanksgiving or Christmas at the Melons house this year so temptation for over eating isn't there. I need to be fit enough by December that I can walk Disney with my nephews. /stretches, LETS DO THIS!!! Er, continue doing this! 

• Like 6

Well as I was complaining in the Randomness thread last night about clothes not fitting and being at my heaviest weight ever, I suppose that I'm in as well.  With me, the weight overall isn't the problem per say, it's the composition of that weight.  For the longest time I had a metabolism that people would kill for.  It took my wife's cooking close to ten ears to get me to gain 5 pounds.  The problem was that I just kept gaining.  Then I would go to sea, and eat less (no soda really helped) and get ack o something reasonable.  Now I'm on shore duty so everything is available to me.  Also the Navy has trained me to wolf down my food (so someone else could take my seat and eat) so I ca have portion control issues as I eat too much before my body realizes I'm full.

My plan is to get rid of the 20 pounds of fat that I'm carrying and get fit; I will utilize diet an exercise.  If thing go well, I should be increasing m muscle mass as I decrease my body fat so I'm not sure how much actual will lose.  My current weight would actually be good if weren't carried in my belly.  As for the fitness goal, I'd like to improve my score for my next PFA (Physical Fitness Assessment).  That will mean soubleing the number of situps/pushups I can perform in two minutes, and burn more calories on a stationary bike in 15 minutes than I did last month.  Bonus is if I can fit back into the 32' waist clothing I can not longer squeeze myself into (just bought a couple of pair of 34" waist shorts this afternoon).

Start: July 1, 2014

Height: 5'11"

Goal: 165 lbs (variable depending on muscle gains), better fitting clothes, improved PFA scores.

Starting Weight: 185

Current Weight: 181.8 (as of 7/14/14)

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 8

Has anybody tried the 5 / 2 starvation fasting diet? Something about two days per week you eat nearly nothing. The two fasting days are never consecutive...

Honestly, I probably would have gained weight in Afghanistan if I hadn't spent so much time in the gym.  My work involves sitting in front of a computer on an air-conditioned airplane for eight to twelve hours listening to a radio.  And the food in the DFAC, while repetitive, was pretty good (and fattening).

What does that say about the US Military? that we can send our troops to a warzone and potentially fatten them up?

___

I tried Weight Watchers once: I detested it. The only thing I liked about it was they wanted you to drink extra water. At the first class they gave everybody a 32 fl. oz. glass of ice water and asked each person to try, try, try and drink it all by the end of the class.

But, they told everybody not to touch the water until the had finished explaining their water hypothesis.

Finally, it was OK to drink. I drained my glass---in one go (I was thirsty). And, I was planning to point out that it was not really 32 fl. oz. because of all the volume lost to ice...

...but I noticed all the women in the class giving me 'the look'. :ph34r: I decided not to ask for a refill.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5