Jack Brown

Glazes and washes and wet palettes

I've got the old pro paint inks, (red, yellow, green and black) but I find that they dry really shiny!!!!!

I've been tempted to test out washes from like citadel or secret weapon, just so I can see the consistency I should have. What are some good colors from them?

/opens shopping list

gw: sepia, mud, purple, i like the flesh wash (i don't use it for flesh though) and most importantly lahmia medium. Lahmian medium can be mixed with paint to make a cool glaze that is really thick and transparent or just brush it on to make something super matte.

• Like 2

I've got the old pro paint inks, (red, yellow, green and black) but I find that they dry really shiny!!!!!

I've been tempted to test out washes from like citadel or secret weapon, just so I can see the consistency I should have. What are some good colors from them?

/opens shopping list

gw: sepia, mud, purple, i like the flesh wash (i don't use it for flesh though) and most importantly lahmia medium. Lahmian medium can be mixed with paint to make a cool glaze that is really thick and transparent or just brush it on to make something super matte.

You got me thinking, if I should store the clear medium ooze that comes out of the SC75 paints. It is thick, clear and those paints are as matte as it gets... how would it mix with inks? Ummm...

• Like 1

/opens shopping list

You got me thinking, if I should store the clear medium ooze that comes out of the SC75 paints. It is thick, clear and those paints are as matte as it gets... how would it mix with inks? Ummm...

I'm pretty sure it is a similar substance although, that stuff seems to be thicker than lahmian medium. Lahmian medium is slightly thicker than water but feels like it stays where you put it better than water. Might work well for something.

• Like 1

Hi - I'm in the UK and just putting together a wet palette for the first time. Reynold's parchment appears to be next to impossible to get here. Can anyone please recommend an alternative brand available in the UK?

TIA

Chris

Hi - I'm in the UK and just putting together a wet palette for the first time. Reynold's parchment appears to be next to impossible to get here. Can anyone please recommend an alternative brand available in the UK?

TIA

Chris

I'd say whatever brand you have there that's a "name brand" or good parchment baking paper. Just make sure it's not the wax paper and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. That helps. The product that I have tried was cheap'n'cheerful which is probably why it wasn't a big success.

Is it important that it is silicone impregnated?

actually that will probably not be a good thing as silcone will resist whicking up water which is what the parchment needs to do to keep the paints wet.

any kind of baking parchment (paper) should work.

From a country where you cannot get Reynolds, I can say, no any kind of parchment paper works. Or works the same. I have tried half a dozen different brands available in Argentina (wax, non-wax, parchment, baking, art parchment paper, etc) until I found one that works for me. It does not work as shown in most videos, however... paint or water does not bead up in my paper for example.

So I suggest, if you can afford it (it should not be terribly expensive) get a couple brands and try it. Try it out of the roll, try it after submerging it for a couple minutes in hot water, try it after leaving it overnight in cold water. Some paper is too water-resistant, some other will shed fibers and break easily (after it being wet for a couple hours, rub it with your finger. If if starts flaking and desintegrating, forget it). Some people will absorb your paint, some paper will make a flood out of a paint drop...

In short, try to find a paper that hold the paint without making it flood all over the place. It needs to get moist easily, but not breaking up. 

Good luck!

I do use silicone-impregnated parchment paper and it works just fine.  It's not waterproof, after all.

Edited by Pingo

I haven't read through the whole page, but just in case no one's mentioned it, Reynold's is not the only brand of parchment paper in the US. I prefer Wilton. I have to go to the craft store to get it, but there's usually something else to get there anyway.

• Like 1