Sirithiliel

Siri's Guide to Painting Rust

/subbing to find it easily at home, since I can't see your pics at the office.

Regardless, thanks for sharing  :upside:

• Like 3

Yeah, I can't see these pics either on my work PC, will have to check them out at home. The like was for posting the tutorial. 

• Like 1

No worries. I had to upload the pictures via Photobucket so that I could describe each step. Otherwise they'd all be attached at the bottom haha. Figured this was the better way to describe what i'm doing in each picture

• Like 4

Thank you very much for posting this! It's a very good looking effect, and since you broke it down step by step, it seems like it should be fairly easy to try myself.

• Like 3

This is really, really good. If I might add to it, however:

For really old, chunky rust, Secret Weapon (and some other companies, like Micro-Mark) makes several dry pigments. Spray (or brush) a little thinned pva glue on the deepest parts of the rust and sprinkle a little powder on it. Let it dry, and brush/blow/tap off the excess. It gives it a deep, structural rust. The issue, of course, is the mess left by the weathering powders.

(That would be in addition to the painting steps you've outlined. Not in place of.)

Now I'll need to pick up some of these paints. My personal recipe was GW's Blazing Orange mixed with Vermin Brown. (Which gets the rust close to photo #4, but I currently use the powders to take it further.)

• Like 1

I've seen those before, and thought about them, but I can't justify the price tag to myself or to my husband haha. We're rather limited on spending budget for miniatures and hobby stuff. So I did the best I could with paint =P I thought about using something to get a gritty look to the rust, like fine sand or something, but decided it was going to be too much a hassle

Thanks! I'll have to look up some examples of the weathering pigment, because I haven't actually seen it on a miniature before

• Like 2

I've seen those before, and thought about them, but I can't justify the price tag to myself or to my husband haha. We're rather limited on spending budget for miniatures and hobby stuff. So I did the best I could with paint =P I thought about using something to get a gritty look to the rust, like fine sand or something, but decided it was going to be too much a hassle

Thanks! I'll have to look up some examples of the weathering pigment, because I haven't actually seen it on a miniature before

Yes you have! I mean, you did look at my Dragon Diorama, right?  :;):

You don't need to buy pigments. To try the effect and texture, go to your art store and ask for pastel sticks. You can buy they individually and are quite cheap; get a rusty orange and a rusty red (or whatever you like; I like Burnt Umber for mud); then find a small container and place the stick on top of it. Run the edge of your xacto along the pastel stick and you will get "powder" in several degrees of roughness. Ta-DA! You have pigments!

I found out I quite like mixing them wiith alcohol, and paint that mixture. Alcohol evaporates and leaves the pigment behind in a rough texture. I need to try using watered down acrylic medium with them to get them to fix on the surface.

• Like 5

Thank you for posting this. I've been working on a base that I want to look rusted and my attempts failed miserably. I have all these colours so I'm going to attempt to replicate what you did.

• Like 4

I have one SW pigment (red rust), one Vallejo (green earth oxide) and I picked up a dozen for $20 from Micro-Mark (Doc O'Brien's brand: rusty red, rusty brown, muddy red, faded blue, grimy black, highlight white, grungy gray, patina green, mildew green, dirty brown, gritty yellow, and desert sand).

I've heard the thing with the art pastels, but haven't tried it.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now