Sirithiliel

Iron Cobra WIP

So I found two primed minis I had misplaced, the Iron Cobra Talespinner had sent me along with the wyvern and a clearance monk like mini I had bought at my FLGS. This is going to be a WIP for the cobra =3

Question is....should I try out my new rust skills and make a rusty cobra? It's tempting...but he is rather small, i might not be able to get the full effect on him. So shiny might be the way to go. Opinions?  ^_^

post-12758-0-08906100-1403407336_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Rust is easy, use a stippling brush, and some umber brown paint (I use a raw brown umber), followed by some dark red paint (I use naphthol red artist acrylic), then a light stippling of the brightest orange you have (I use pumpkin orange craft paint). Water the paint very slightly, not too runny, depending on thickness. My paints are pretty high quality so I only need 1 coat but you may need to do 2 of each if you use gw, reaper or especially vallejo. Focus the rust in crevases and around bolts. Best thing about painting rust is you can be messy. Then you can sharpen metal areas where the plates rub together with a shiny bright metal paint.

Quoted from somewhere- ''Stippling is a method of painting where you load the brush with paint and then apply it to the model in gentle 'stabbing' motions. This creates a light, dusty, effect on the figure perfect for rust and weathering."

Rust is easy, use a stippling brush, and some umber brown paint (I use a raw brown umber), followed by some dark red paint (I use naphthol red artist acrylic), then a light stippling of the brightest orange you have (I use pumpkin orange craft paint). Water the paint very slightly, not too runny, depending on thickness. My paints are pretty high quality so I only need 1 coat but you may need to do 2 of each if you use gw, reaper or especially vallejo. Focus the rust in crevases and around bolts. Best thing about painting rust is you can be messy. Then you can sharpen metal areas where the plates rub together with a shiny bright metal paint.

Quoted from somewhere- ''Stippling is a method of painting where you load the brush with paint and then apply it to the model in gentle 'stabbing' motions. This creates a light, dusty, effect on the figure perfect for rust and weathering."

XD Oh i'm good at stippling. I use it quite a bit [used it heavily on my Kaladrax]. My method of painting rust works better on large areas than on small ones like the cobra, so I wasn't sure about painting him rusty, though stippling would actually work. Hadn't thought about it

i'm leaning towards shiny with maybe some rusty bits here and there

• Like 1

Rusty Cobra sounds......... dirty.  I like shy knee co-bra

Of course Rusty Cobras are dirty, how do you think they got all rusty?  :rock:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      This is from Rackham/Confrontation an Ophidian Warrior.
      He is a Heavy Snake Infantryman for my Lost World.

He originally came with a sword to put on his side, but I left it off.
      Liked him better this way.

He is on a resin base from Micro Art Studio enhanded with Vallejo Still Water.
      WIP is here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/&page=136

On to the pics, some against my Jungle Backdrop Board.
      Likes and comments welcome.

• By TaleSpinner
      For my ReaperCon entry this year, I painted my Iron Cobra and a chest that I sculpted for one of the Bones KS's.  I'm not entirely happy with these pictures, as the blue seems to be diminished in them (the background and steel colors are actually light blue; maybe it is my monitor?).  I may adjust them later and re-post, but for now, they're pretty close (as close as I can get when photographing metallic paint).

Oh, and I placed a Gold Medal with this in the Open Category. 

• By Metalchaos
      Translucent blue 77310, Water Weird, Dark Heaven Bones sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.          
    • By Glitterwolf
      This is a little sideproject from my Lost World Project
      WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/&

I think it deserves it's own WIP.
      It will be covered in the Lost World as well, but there it will be interrupted by the other things I paint and build there.

With courtesy to @malefactus , @Peithetairosand @Chris Palmer for inspiring me with their awesome terrainbuilding.

It all started when I noticed my spare base from Kaladrax.
      Kaladrax was put on a crypt as can be seen here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77556-kaladrax-on-her-mausoleum-by-glitterwolf/

At first it was just an idea, putting some jungle stuff on that.
      But then things kinda got out of hand a bit.

And some fericious foam cutting

• By Glitterwolf
      I'm covering this in my Lost World Project also.
      However since this is basically a Terrain Piece/Diorama thingie, I decided to make a separate WIP as well.
      So those who are only interested in terrain and such will also see it.

It all started when @knarthex his daughter Alsnia posted a pic of her Pet Snake.
      Then @Pezler the Polychromatic made up a background story See my WIP page 65

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-xherman1964-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/&page=65

@malefactushas always inspired me with his great terrain and he also encouraged me...
      And I have also read the great threads of @Chris Palmer who made fantastic jungle statues.

So I knew I had to do this.

I bought a Toy Anaconda and a Toy Python.
      The Anaconda will become Tanith.
      The Serpent Goddess will be repainted in albino colours like Alsnia's pet, but it will also be part stone.
      She is in stasis in a statue and now Alsnia the Priestess ( Bones Sarah the Seer) has been chanting and summoning until Tanith sheds her stone skin and breaks out of the statue.

The Python will be a gold or bronze statuette on the back of the wall.
      I'm planning to put torches and sacrifices/gifts on the altar.
      There will be two pipes coming from the backwall and snakes will pour from those and will be crawling all over the altar.

Here is what I've done so far.

Then I needed to carve out the shape of the Python to embedd it into the back wall later.
      Too much gap will be filled with putty.
      There will also be much stuff likes vines and leaves all over it.

So this may take a while.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 4 Anonymous, 148 Guests (See full list)