So with trepidation I am starting a thread to track the likely painfully slow and experimental process of mashing up the Bones Eldritch Demon with a Games Workshop Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince.  Lots of Greenstuff will be involved.  Probably blood and tears as well.  I have the initial blush of an idea of what I want to accomplish but large sections are essentially going to be sketching with greenstuff.

The plan is for this to end up as a Black Legion Daemon Prince that is Lovecraft Mythos meets 40K Chaos.  I picked Black Legion for this because I already have Daemon Princes finished/in progress for all the 40K Chaos Gods and their Legions so I figured this would work as an unaligned Prince which fits best with Black Legion.  And I think the paint scheme will be wicked.

For this project we will be using:

1) Head and wings from the Bones 77113 Eldritch Demon.

2) The front of the 40K Chaos Marine Daemon Prince chest and it's arms.  Not the back half as you can also build a fantasy version of the daemon with this kit and the back is shared between the two models and looks better with the fantasy version.  Also, it is easier to put the Eldritch Demon wings more organically into the model this way.  Or so I tell myself.

3) What is likely to be a ton of greenstuff since the back and the entire lower body plus any random detail I decide to add will need to be sculpted.  Let's just say the lower half involves tentacles not legs.

Side note for mods, I had a heck of a time deciding what forum this went in between CP&T, WIP, and Sculpting.  If I picked wrong, feel free to move me.  <_<

Here's some pics of the upper body in the 'slap some greenstuff on it and see if we like the shape' stage.

post-7951-0-43643000-1408681232_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-13547500-1408681234_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-03692100-1408681236_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-90572500-1408681237_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-02004700-1408681240_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-73072000-1408681241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 11

The lower body is going to be tentacles rather than legs.  I would like to do 8 but 4 is probably more manageable.  Currently pondering this table as inspiration:

post-7951-0-21275500-1408682291.jpg

• Like 6

This is going to be pretty epic !

We can only hope, pray, and make appropriate sacrifices.  Blood has already been spilled in the endeavor (in the first trimming of parts from the sprue no less!) so hopefully that is a good omen.

• Like 2

Will popcorn suffice as an appropriate sacrifice? :rock:

Great, now I'm hungry...I mean sure!

I'm torn about the face tentacles. I think they look good now, but a bit too 'all in one plane'. I'm hesitant to try reshaping with hot water though because I'm concerned that if they ever got hot enough again they would revert to mold shape and ruin the paint job. I could cut them off and just sculpt new ones but that rather defeats the point of using the Eldritch Demon head to save time/effort. I'll leave that decision till later in the process but chances are I'll convince myself to leave them alone since this is theoretically a tabletop figure.

• Like 2

Maybe use metal pins in the tentacles to keep the shape?

I'm hungry now too :unsure:

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

I have adjusted things in bonisium (is that a word) with hot (boiling) water and shocked them with cold (ICE) water and they have not reverted yet.  We have had 30C and high humidity weather so I suspect they will stay unless I give them another bath in boiling water.

I have also adjusted swords and things after painting and the paint stayed on them.  Bones is so much fun!

So I would say adjust your tentacles if you want to!

• Like 1

Did I mention that I believe in overkill on armatures?  Well, I did talk myself out of using 14 gauge galvanized steel wire this time but I still went with decent size brass.  I cut them to roughly 6 inch lengths and roughed out some shapes for the tentacles and then proceeded to solder the snot out of them.  Some trimming for length has already occured.  I know it looks like the body is sitting too high right now, but the arms are very beefy and I'm going to extend the body down a bit before splitting into tentacles.  Here is the test fit, further adjustment of the tentacles may occur either for length or for overall angle.

post-7951-0-60208500-1409432364_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-33152500-1409432367_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-05695600-1409432375_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-94892000-1409432377_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Started roughing out the lower body.  Had to stop and let that harden so I added posts for the head and arms and test fit them.

post-7951-0-80347200-1410134742_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-75790100-1410134745_thumb.jpg

• Like 4