Klat

How does each faction play?

More noobish questions from the noob himself: **TL:DR** What it says on the tin; how does each faction play?

Realizing that new rules are forthcoming I'm curious as to what each faction's "shtick" is. Reading through it appears that there are special faction specific rules but that doesn't necessarily tell me how their units tend to function. I'm coming at this from a BattleTech background where factions have a very general style but really can be just about whatever you want; from armies of armored bricks with guns to fast cavalry to very well rounded.

I tend to think of a basic trio of capabilities when looking at units or armies; speed, firepower and armor to put them in very rough terms. Often times I'll add certain caveats when describing these things to others; a unit may be highly mobile but not necessarily fast for example. Despite my focus oftentimes on single units I use the same language when describing basic faction doctrines/play styles.

Would anyone care to elaborate on how the factions play? What are their strengths and weaknesses? I realize that there are faction specific threads here but In all honesty that is a lot to sort through.

Thank you ahead of time.

Edited by Klat
  • Like 1

Klat

The factions tend to fight the same as they all have models that do what models in other factions do. Your basic organization is the Squad and the big three here are Attack, Fire Support, and Recon. These are organized by the Task assigned to the model. SO a model with the Task Attack would usually go into an Attack Squad. There is some variation here to allow you to set the Squad up to your style of play.

Where factions come into play is their Faction Doctrines. These are perks a Faction receives by staying within the provided framework.

An example of what you asked about is you could make a Attack Squad of Light & Medium Chassis CAVs with the task Attack and be very fast and mobile but light on armor and big guns.

• Like 1

I want the faction that allows me to roll as little dice as possible while always hitting my enemy and annihilating opposing armies. That faction is perfect for me.

• Like 1

I want the faction that allows me to roll as little dice as possible while always hitting my enemy and annihilating opposing armies. That faction is perfect for me.

That's usually called off board artillery isn't it?  Preferably in the megaton category.

• Like 1

Klat

The factions tend to fight the same as they all have models that do what models in other factions do. Your basic organization is the Squad and the big three here are Attack, Fire Support, and Recon. These are organized by the Task assigned to the model. SO a model with the Task Attack would usually go into an Attack Squad. There is some variation here to allow you to set the Squad up to your style of play.

Where factions come into play is their Faction Doctrines. These are perks a Faction receives by staying within the provided framework.

An example of what you asked about is you could make a Attack Squad of Light & Medium Chassis CAVs with the task Attack and be very fast and mobile but light on armor and big guns.

That's good news for me; I can just pick a faction based on what I like the looks of then. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

I can't comment on CAV:SO, but in CAV 2, each manufacturer had distinctive features in the CAVs they produced. Since some of the models were faction-specific, that wound up influencing the way they played to some degree. For example, the Adonese models (RMI and Borsig-Spline) tended towards moderately powerful but long-range weaponry (usually specialized vs hard or soft targets), high movement, low defense, and relatively little degradation as they take damage, while Terran models (Mitso-ta and SyRam) typically had medium-range weapons that were equally effective against all targets, and started with very high defense and other stats but degraded fairly severely once they were damaged. Presumably this is being carried over to some degree, but there's no way to know until the data cards are released. And with all models available to all factions, it will likely have less influence in any case.

• Like 1

Just a note as this was mentioned over on KS too:

All factions DO NOT have available any model. The fluff of the game and the Force Group construction rules is centered around you using a set faction and playing with the models assigned to it. Now if you want to ignore the fluff/rules and just pick anything, you can. If you want to play a Independent such as a mercenary company and such, you can pick from any models you wish, but you get no bonus (faction doctrine) for doing so other then the benefit of getting to pick whatever you want.

• Like 2

All factions DO NOT have available any model. The fluff of the game and the Force Group construction rules is centered around you using a set faction and playing with the models assigned to it. Now if you want to ignore the fluff/rules and just pick anything, you can. If you want to play a Independent such as a mercenary company and such, you can pick from any models you wish, but you get no bonus (faction doctrine) for doing so other then the benefit of getting to pick whatever you want.

Can you please make the faction information available somewhere on the kickstarter main page?  I know there's a spreadsheet floating around somewhere that has the figures and associated factions/roles listed, but now I can't find it.  Can it be linked from the main page of the KS?

If you don't want it on the KS page yet, could you post it in a new thread and pin it here on the forums?

"Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

• Like 3

I can't comment on CAV:SO, but in CAV 2, each manufacturer had distinctive features in the CAVs they produced. Since some of the models were faction-specific, that wound up influencing the way they played to some degree. For example, the Adonese models (RMI and Borsig-Spline) tended towards moderately powerful but long-range weaponry (usually specialized vs hard or soft targets), high movement, low defense, and relatively little degradation as they take damage, while Terran models (Mitso-ta and SyRam) typically had medium-range weapons that were equally effective against all targets, and started with very high defense and other stats but degraded fairly severely once they were damaged. Presumably this is being carried over to some degree, but there's no way to know until the data cards are released. And with all models available to all factions, it will likely have less influence in any case.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. So I get the idea from your post that the Terran stuff is pretty well rounded and medium range oriented with poor durability but good defense while the Adon stuff is faster and longer ranged with moderate durability and mediocre defense. That's two factions that I feel I have a better feel for. So, how about the rest?

Thanks so much.

Klat-

In CAV 2, the designer went through and set individual numbers for weapons, armor and such as well as set up the degradation of a models systems. CAV: SO is more like CAV 1, a medium particle bolt gun is the same no matter which faction is using it and degradation is based on a series of charts. These numbers can be influenced though by auxiliary systems, special attributes, and upgrades added to the design. So a faction may have some fast models and some slow ones, etc etc.

• Like 1

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. So I get the idea from your post that the Terran stuff is pretty well rounded and medium range oriented with poor durability but good defense while the Adon stuff is faster and longer ranged with moderate durability and mediocre defense. That's two factions that I feel I have a better feel for. So, how about the rest?

Thanks so much.

As CAVBOSS has pointed out, this may no longer be accurate for CAV:SO, but the sense I had of the others (I primarily played as Adon against Terran, so I know those the best) is that Rach favors really big but short-range weapons and speed, Templar tend to be strong all-around but expensive as a result. Ritterlich is similar to Rach in many respects but not as extremely aggressive (generally better defense values), and I don't have a great sense of Malvernis-think they had a little bit of everything. Someone more familiar with the other factions might be able to elaborate more.

• Like 1

Awesome replies from everyone. It sounds like the new system is very balanced and that's great.

What are the associated faction doctrines? That may be the only thing that sways my faction choice at this point.

Again, thank you to everyone. You've all been extremely helpful.

Is there a faction known for their use of Air Cavalry along side their CAVs?  I'm looking for a 'combined arms' approach using vehicles, CAVs and air support with an emphasis upon battlefield mobility and versatility.  It seems like the Terrans might be my best bet, but I'm open to other factions if their doctrines support this style more effectively.