Klat

How does each faction play?

Always the best way to do it.  I'm actually planning a mercenary faction to contain all of the CAVs I like.  I've also always wanted to play a true combined arms force in a way that 'That other tabletop wargame' never really allows without selling a kidney.

• Like 2

I got lots of entertainment out of Battletech years ago. I wouldn't go back to that rule set now as it it feels outdated to me but it was fine back in the day. I actually liked FASA's Renegade Legion rules a lot more, though it's still a bit too slow and complex for my tastes now. Well, and it doesn't have mechs, but hover tanks galore!

At any rate, I'm actually going to be painting my CAV up in Battletech color schemes for nostalgia. And because I have bajillion Fighting Piranha BT decals laying around. ::):

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 1

You can actually say Battletech...

The game that starts with a "B" and ends with an argument!

(I can't take credit for that, it's my buddies slogan.)

• Like 1

Klat-

In CAV 2, the designer went through and set individual numbers for weapons, armor and such as well as set up the degradation of a models systems. CAV: SO is more like CAV 1, a medium particle bolt gun is the same no matter which faction is using it and degradation is based on a series of charts. These numbers can be influenced though by auxiliary systems, special attributes, and upgrades added to the design. So a faction may have some fast models and some slow ones, etc etc.

That's backwards. CAV 1 had arbitrary stats until the JoR1 was released, then they started following the construction rules from that book. CAV 2's stats all adhered to a very strict set of guidelines and degradation curves based on category (weapon type, armor, movement, etc), role, UCOR, and faction.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 1

CAV 1 had a base set of charts that detailed a model's stats built by Al Perry and those were cleaned up and put in JoR1. AS far as the design work for CAV2 I can only repeat what Ive been told.

Wow, so much battletech hate. I'm a volunteer with CGL (Camospecs) and Cav was what I turned to for my mech action when the game had its lull in the early 2000's before FanPro picked it up. Say what you will about the game but it is THE original mech game so I think it is due that respect. Given what the battletech IP has been through over the years I think its astounding what CGL has done to bring it back to the forefront of tabletop wargaming (winning several origin awards) and I applaud the development team for breathing new life into it.

Its true that it is rules heavy and can be daunting to someone who has never played it...but so is D&D and yet it is still the stick against which all other fantasy roleplaying/tabletop games are measured against...like battletech. If you prefer CAV over battletech, thats awesome, sometimes I do too. However battletech does offer things that CAV's rules do not (and are not designed too admittedly) because there are those players out there, like myself, who thoroughly enjoy being able to blow my opponents arm off and then beat him to death with it (for example) which battletech rules allow you to do in great detail.

I don't intend this to come off as a flame guys, just saying give respect where respect is due. Without battletech, CAV may very well have never come into existence.

-Gunz

Gunz-

If at any time I have come off as a BT basher, I apologize. I love the game and still have my Battle Droids boxed set. I don't play anymore, the Jihad did me in, but I have upmost respect for the game and the players that have stayed in there.

Far from it CAVBOSS, I see you over there on those forums all the time. :) And I wasn't meaning to call anyone out, just to make people aware that like something or not, respect it for what it is/has done for the genre that we all love.

-Gunz

Most of the old CAV guys still around here got burnt out on Battletech, myself included. I don't find the game fun anymore. I don't disrespect it, I just don't like it anymore.

Sadly my enthusiasm for BattleTech has waned somewhat since the line developer stepped down. Coupled with a lack of interest from others when I've run demos of Alpha Strike I've decided that I need to put BattleTech on the back burner for a little bit. Given the very low price point of the CAV Bones miniatures I really think CAV will be popular in my area once word gets out and demos start. Price has been one of the biggest obstacles I've encountered during demos and I don't know how much the upcoming lance packs will help, though I hope they do.