Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

D&D Chainmail Ogre Trooper

I really like the Weathered Wood color and effect. I will take your word for it that the figure is female and an Ogre. At first glance, I would be inclined to say nice Troll. But that is more a comment for the sculptor or concept artist. A lot of people do tree bark as brown, when really it is more grey.

The rest of the figure is very Grey as well. It is almost like one of the monochrome paintjobs Derek Schubert has done except in yours colors are beginning to seep out a bit in a few places. So if that is what you were going for, well done.  If others start advising you to add more color, or punch to the Ogre, do as you see fit.

Which photos are the in-progress WiP pix? I see five that all look like the same stage?

Some small things you might consider would be making the Rivets on the bracer a little more metallic and doing the same for some of the Chain scraps she's wearing. Not a repaint at all, just some little flecks were the grime has worn away and the raw metal shines through.

[Edit] Also, the Boulder. Great job that looks like a real stone. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

Very very nice Adrift, the paint job is top notch, clean, and crisp. It could use just a few more tiny higher highlights in my opinion to give a bit more contrast, but all in all an excellent piece.

• Like 1

Love what you did with the figure I love the chain mill figures in general. hello my favorite is still in Otuge. He's just special but all of these figures are earl nice and don't get the attention they deserve. Thanks for giving it to this one!

• Like 1

Adrift, well done superd shading on the flesh, club is outstanding and the one brush approach....2 thumbs up ;)

• Like 1

First time I've ever seen this mini and I really like your work on it. I like the subdued tones you've used, seems to fit the character of the mini.

• Like 1

I will take your word for it that the figure is female and an Ogre. At first glance, I would be inclined to say nice Troll. But that is more a comment for the sculptor or concept artist. 

Oh it's female with that much sagging underboob. I also agree with you that Wotc's 3e Ogres looked far more like trolls and sometimes like muppets.

• Like 1

Here are the three work in progress shots I took, though I don't think they are uploading in order. These were taken with my iphone at my painting desk so the picture quality isn't fantastic.

post-7416-0-45638100-1410441009.jpg

post-7416-0-89362100-1410441009.jpg

post-7416-0-31164300-1410441010.jpg

I really like the Weathered Wood color and effect. I will take your word for it that the figure is female and an Ogre. At first glance, I would be inclined to say nice Troll. But that is more a comment for the sculptor or concept artist. A lot of people do tree bark as brown, when really it is more grey.

The rest of the figure is very Grey as well. It is almost like one of the monochrome paintjobs Derek Schubert has done except in yours colors are beginning to seep out a bit in a few places. So if that is what you were going for, well done.  If others start advising you to add more color, or punch to the Ogre, do as you see fit.

Which photos are the in-progress WiP pix? I see five that all look like the same stage?

Some small things you might consider would be making the Rivets on the bracer a little more metallic and doing the same for some of the Chain scraps she's wearing. Not a repaint at all, just some little flecks were the grime has worn away and the raw metal shines through.

[Edit] Also, the Boulder. Great job that looks like a real stone. 

For the weathered wood effect I achieved, it was a simple as the ultramarine base-coat and then 2-3 glazes of woodstain brown over that.

The colors, blending and subdued effect I achieved was precisely what I was going for. I wanted emphasis to be on the ogre's face, thus the highlights being a little higher and emphatic about the ogress' face, including a lot of subdued pink hue worked into various areas. Loads of color is precisely what I've always done, but I'm trying some different things to see what else I can achieve as an artist. I imagined this ogre being very dirty and smelly and wanted it to seem like she wasn't pristine.

The rivets on the bracers I totally agree. I gave them a glaze of auburn shadow to rust them up a bit but should have gone back with a hint of misty grey so that some metal would shine through. 

Every time I go to paint boulders I have MonkeySloth chiming in my ears about how rocks in nature are generally not monochrone and that people really don't paint rocks well. My trick is to basically wash and glaze rocks on my miniature with EVERY single color I use on the miniature. Doing so extends the use of my paint and ties the miniature in to the surroundings better to improve the overall composition I have found. ^_^

• Like 1

Lovely work, a lot of subtlety to it. The cool tones make it very subdued, almost a night-time or gloaming effect. The only truly germane criticism I have is that because of the cool, shadowy effect you've got going on, the basing detracts a little: the ground flock is way too bright and warm.

That's not to say it is in any way horrible, nope, this is outstanding work, BUT the base does draw the eye too much, I'd like to see it more shadowed and with a lot of the warmth sucked out of it. One, it would work to add to the atmosphere of shadow and gloom, but also two, if you just want a really cool-tone subdued look to the ogre, the ground is distracting from that.

It's just a quibble though. And if the base is WIP, ignore me! Great work either way!

• Like 2

That's an excellent point smokingwreckage...thank you for pointing that out! Some wash/glaze is going to hit that base when I get home! Henchforth, I'll base the figure entirely and factor my painting in to include even the smallest details. I'm definitely leaving that out.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 2

She looks great, and will definitely try stealing your wood grain idea. I, too, have never seen this mini before. It's always fun to see a superb paintjob on a newly discovered mini.

• Like 1