pcktlnt

Magic: the Gathering

102 posts in this topic

Does anyone on the board play MtG? I'm curious about your opinions on the mewest set: Khans of Tarkir.

My opinion/thoughts (subject to change upon actual release and playthrough of cards):

I cannot see the wow factor outside of the fetch lands. And some of the new introduced mechanics and reintroduced mechanics are kind of eh...

- Why does the morph ability on most cards cost more than the casting cost of the card with little to no benefits? Some of those cards can easily be replaced by actual cards for cheaper costs. Is it because morph cannot be countered? (I stopped playing around this time when morph was introduced).

- Outlast seems disappointing. Some fun abilities and synergies somewhere, but who attempts to play magic for the long game? Is white and/or red control a viable strategy now?

- Ahhh, so many multi-colored cards. How does one actually cast the ones you need and not fall into mana shortage?

Darn it, how did my game shop convince me to buy booster boxes? XD

Darn it, how did my game shop convince me to buy booster boxes? XD

Because they lovingly sprinkle [addictive substances] into every pack.....just for you!

Edited by Mr Melons

I used to play M:tG, but stopped in '96. I sold my cards and used the money to buy a brand new '97 Civic. (When I say 'used the money' I mean 'used only the money from selling the cards.' Yes, I had that many cards. Yes, they were that valuable, even back then.)

5 people like this

I used to play MTG too. Didn't start early enough to own any of the pricey cards although I still do own all my cards.

Stopped playing many years ago so I can't help you with your question as I haven't kept up with all the rule changes and revisions.

Although I did get several of the Promo sets being handed out at PAX and Seattles EMP museum earlier this month, I haven't cracked them open.

I only started playing a month or so ago after the 2015 core set release so it's all new and exciting for me. Most of my games have been aganst the AI on the xbox digital 2015 game and I've only played a few actual games against someone (several of those were me cajoling my wife into playing) so I'm basically a complete newbie and am only just getting into the whole card collecting thing - at first I was just going to buy an intro deck as 'that's enough to learn', so I bought a white and a black one. Then I bought the deck builders toolkit and fatpack so I had enough to try other colour decks. The allure of getting cool cards in boosters is strong since i haven't opened any mythics yet and I'm going to get a booster box at some point so I can open ALL THE THINGS. :)

I've been excited by the prerelease event idea (free boosters! Limited editions!) so I've signed up for a prerelease weekend tournament where you get the new cards to make your deck - I figured I at least have a chance given everyone has to make a new deck and I'll just aim to have fun and hope the other players aren't super competitive (i'm going to a 5am flight so i think it will be hardcore stayups there).

Some things like morph and fetchlands i kind of get but am too new to see the huge value - to me morph is a way of getting the cards on the table early for cheaper and the later when you have more lands you can pay close to normal cost to flip and trigger extra powers.

Edited by ctsteel

I got third place at the first GenCon Magic tournament and was on one of the playtest teams for several early releases (starting with Antiquities), so I have many cards. But I haven't played seriously in years.

Which doesn't help much with your question, I'm afraid.  ^_^

I don't play seriously anymore, just collect and follow the new settings. As far as the set goes, I think it will be interesting. Plus, you won't see the full potential until Fate Reforged.

I haven't played since Dragon's Maze.

I love the game, though. Sometimes I miss it; I stopped playing because I'd rather play a money-sink that involves minis (so Warmachine), and remaining competitive in Magic requires continual purchasing.

To your points (knowing I haven't looked at any cards from this set):

Fetch lands are reason enough to celebrate. They are wonderful, wonderful things. They fix your colors, they thin your library, they trigger some triggered abilities. And their reprint means the barrier/cost to enter Modern is low.

I don't know about the rest of the set, but I know some people who would be happy with a set full of grizzly bears and vizzerdrix, if it gave them more fetches.

They're bringing back morph?! Erm...sure. Not knowing what the cards look like, it's hard to say, but uncounterable effects are very good. Frequently the morph abilities have enters-the-battlefield effects that seem minor at face value but interact stupidly with other cards. So I don't know for sure, but this wierder-than-all-but-"Bands With Other" card ability has the potential to make very swingy moments in a game.

I don't know what outlast does, but if it keeps red or white cards around long enough to deal with black removal and blue or uw control it's a good thing. And white control is totally a thing, depending on the format. Usually uw or bw, but w control likes to wrath and tap and stretch out the game for hours.

Multi-colored cards...are we talking two-color, or even more? Either way, fetchlands are the answer. Plus dual lands, which I assume are still around from the most recent core set. I have a bg modern deck that runs a playset of the bg fetch, plus a bu and a ug fetch to smooth the mana. And that's not even a three color deck. During Zendikar I had a mono-black deck that ran six fetches just to thin the deck (had almost zero landfall, too. Just wanted to not draw lands after turn two). But anyway, three color decks aren't so hard with all the multicolored lands that are usually available in Standard.

My tuppence, based on out of date info. YMMV.

This is from my thirteen-year-old:

Outlast is useful for red-white decks using giant monsters from red and buffs from white. Effectively, outlast provides some white monsters to add to your arsenal. Unfortunately, red white kaiju decks tend to lose in early turns due to lack of defense. A cheap monster with outlast would be a great addition.

Morph could be useful for expensive cards, but for cheap ones it's basically a waste. I think it would be cool if there were enchantments with morph (delay, in the meantime you have a 2/2. If it dies, you lose the spell). Or what about sorceries? A 2/2 you can sacrifice & pay mana to cast a spell. I know lots of cards like that. Morph can be used to buff a monster (play a 1/1 as a 2/2), then flipped to use it's ability (2/2 becomes a flying 1/1). The point is, morph is best for expensive cards or really cheap ones.

2 people like this

@csteel. If you do buy a booster this could be a good box. If you get fetch lands, you could sell them if you don't use them. XD

I think I'll respond when I get home. It's hard to write out thoughts on my phone

I stopped around the African expansions or Ice Age (whatever was latest). I got tired of not finding what I wanted without resorting to singles buying.

I stopped as Ice Age was coming out, and used to have some expensive cards.  I sold my really nice ones back in '96.  I traded the rest of them for metal about 7 years ago.  A lot became less valuable in that collection (except to collectors) because they reissued new versions of the cards.

I still have a big pile of YuGiOh in my closet from when I was a therapeutic mentor, and one of my kids was huge into it.  After a couple weeks of "here you can use this deck, while I play this deck specially designed to destroy you" I started buying some and built my own decks.  And spent every game using the bad dubbed YuGiOh voices and dialog.

1 person likes this