pcktlnt

Magic: the Gathering

99 posts in this topic

Mirage, the "African expansion", was after Ice Age.  That was when I started playing, I have around 3k cards running from Mirage through Masques block then Invasion block, Time spiral block through New Phyrexia.  I haven't actually played a game since Eventide was the latest set though and am going to carry my cards up to my FNSLGS* to sell off.

*Friendly, not so local, game store

I started with 7th Edition Starter packs and made it to Scourge before quitting. 

I think it could possibly be the most expensive game ever. Even more than 40k.

2 people like this

I think we started just before Ice Age came out. Not sure when we quit, although I do remember Mirage and Mercudian(sp?) Masques. Invasion seems familiar, but I don't think I recall Eventide.

Ah, lots of old time players. I've jumped back in, but this time just focusing on Pauper, except for purchasing 4 booster boxes... I'll let you all know how that goes. ^_^

Crap, has it been so long already? Gah that will be my third fat pack to go into the "open at a later point in time" pile. (Need to have at least a fat pack of each set, my OCD requires it!)

lol @ Damenace.

So I'm hearing they are doing away with the triple block releases. Changing it to blocks of two sets.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mm/metamorphosis

Change #1: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Blocks Will Be Two Sets Each

Starting with "Blood" block in September 2015, each block will have one large set that introduces the world and one small set that builds upon it. (I should note that this is the default and we reserve the right to have sets of different sizes if it serves the block.) Blocks will no longer have a third set.

Change #2: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Will Have Two Blocks Per Year

Here's the typical schedule of the Magic year, with all the usual caveats about how Magic is about change and you should expect us to shake this up a bit over time: There will be a large fall expansion and small winter expansion set in World #1. Then there will be a large spring expansion and a small summer expansion, usually set in World #2. The first two sets will be part of one block and the second two sets will usually be part of a second.

Change #3: Beginning in 2016, the Core Sets Are No More

The summer of 2015 will have the last core set release, and in 2016, the summer set will be the second set of the block that started in spring of 2016.

Change #4: Beginning in 2016, the First Set of Each Block (the Fall and Spring Sets) Will Cause a Rotation

This in some ways isn't a change, but rather an adaptation to match the new Two-Block Paradigm. The first set of a block has always caused a rotation in the past. The Two-Block Paradigm just means that this now happens twice a year (in the fall and in the spring) rather than just in the fall.

Change #5: Beginning in 2016, Standard Will Be Three Blocks Rather Than Two Blocks

To keep the metagame more robust, we are changing the size of Standard. This change is the reason we are telling you this now, because we want you to understand that Khans of Tarkir will only be played in Standard for 18 months. This change should not have any impact on the set's role in other formats.

1 person likes this

After poking around...I have decided to do a couple minis from The Land of Black Ice...should be fun

Went to a 5am sealed prerelease launch tourney for Khans this morning (abzan clan). Was fun.

Never done anything like that and have practically never played before so I had some rookie moments* but I ended up 1w-1d-2l which I consider pretty good, won three more boosters one of them had a mythic rare that apparently is worth a lot and another had a planeswalker which is the first one I've collected so I'm happy with the outcome. The mechanics in the clans are quite good and the tricolour isnt too bad since most creatures are only needing 1 coloured mana so it's not too bad if your deck has a decent mix of lands and tri-lands etc.

* chief of which was my mistaken belief that rhe entire deck including lands had to be made from the boosters you get. I basically had only a few lands and some mana artifacts which was going to be useless but I thought everyone had the same challenge. Luckily when my first opponent started pulling out basic lands and I asked how he got them he explained that you bring your own basic lands and he was kind enough to pause the game while I quickly grabbed some from the store collection and shuffled them in to keep playing.

2 people like this

@ctsteel, congrats! out of curiosity, would the mythic rare be Ugin's Nexus? And which planeswalker did you end up with? Glad to hear about the tricolor not being an issue. I'm waiting until next week to participate in the draft night. :D

The mythic was Surrak Dragonclaw - http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386681

The Planeswalker I got was Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker - http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386650

Neither of them are in my preferred colours (B/W or in the case of Abzan, B/W/G) but I've got plenty of their colours to construct something different and have some fun.

Interesting. Didn't think he would be popular, but I've also forgotten about standard.

Resurrecting this thread... for Amonkhet.  Because, that's what Egyptian themed cards would do... resurrect really old things.

To be honest, I have had several variations of this journey.  I remember seeing some Alpha and Beta boosters when I bought my way through an unopened box of 1989 Upper Deck cards (bought about 1/3 before the day was over as we tried to kill the box and see if anyone would get a Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie card).  Knew absolutely nothing about Magic at that point.  Later that year, I bought into Unlimited and would stay with the game until I got married in Dec. 1995 when I gave away my card collection (dumb mistake on my part, but it stopped the addiction).  A friend that I had played with in college was teaching his daughters how to play in ... 2009-2010 so I picked up a few starter decks and some booster packs, but we didn't get to play a lot so I let them die off again.

Yesterday my student worker said he had picked up some Magic cards... and I made the mistake of looking at the website.  A new expansion released today (hooray), there are not really core sets around, and you can summon Planeswalkers? Overall I still remember how to play just need to get familiar with some new terms (deathtouch, hexproof, cycling, loyalty, indestructible, etc.) and cards that are split (and seem to be able to be played from the graveyard).  So I did the smart thing and talked to my wife about it.  She knows how I was originally (though not the true extent, cause we weren't married at the time) and that I had matured before I played again.  As I told her about my student worker beginning to play she said it wasn't really a difficult decision at all.

My student worker has had a difficult family life, to say the least.  He has a full STEM Scholarship, but is still working as he goes through school.  He was a freshman when he started with us last Fall, so we will have him for a few more years.  He does very with the computers and figuring things out.  He does terrible with his time management, but didn't we all at that age.  He is learning how to negotiate life, but still has few examples to really pull from. He also tends to go to the dark side of things first and has had some emotional scarring from a brother's suicide and family drug use. 

So I guess being able to spend some time with a student worker outside of work so I can talk to him about life in general isn't a terrible idea.  I'll probably jump start my reintroduction in May (hooray for birthday month) with a Amonkhet box if I can still find one.  Then I think I'll have to get sleeves and a Tower Deck box and I'm thinking about getting the Inked Gaming "I'm Board" playmat (ya know... cause I'm in Forestry and it's a classy look that will work with any card games).

5 people like this

I too was heavy into magic and have it up around the same time as you (or a little before; Weatherlight had just released) for much the same reason.  After my kids discovered Pokemon, I attempted to get them into Magic as that was a game I enjoyed playing (i never did get into the Pokemon craze).

You can get some decent deals on a "box o cards" at various retailers: mine was w0 bucks on Amazon for a thousand commons and uncommon with some rares. That and some starters allowed the kids to try and build their own decks.  They played for a bit but they never got hooked.

Good on you for getting involved with helping out your student-worker.  I hope that my daughter ends up with similar faculty when she heads off to college next year.

2 people like this