pcktlnt

Magic: the Gathering

I've been playing on and off since 1994 Revised/4th/Ice Age all through current.  My 3 oldest boys 8,10,12 all play and we love playing Commander together, or just whatever decks we make.  Tournament Magic (outside of pre-releases which are a ton of fun) is really probably the worst thing ever.  Full of people that will do anything to win, including cheat or rulemonger you, and is basically just not good (my opinion of course).

But man,  I love playing with my boys.

• Like 3

We tend to get sucked into Magic around this time every year, mainly because there's usually a new set coming out right around my son's birthday.  He likes to go do a pre-release draft with Dad as his fun party-type outing.  Generally interest fades away after a while.   Going to a draft is a fun way to both get some cards and get a bunch of play time with them, costs about as much as a movie ticket or dinner out, and is a lot healthier than many other habits.  Somehow it feels less like gouging when you think of it like that.  ^_^

• Like 5

I just recently was introduced to magic about 2 months before I started mini painting after I mentioned to a friend a different card game that caught my eye. (I don't like cards much so I never looked at it before. but it fits the nice little strategy niche I like so I got hooked immediately) Honestly I have been so caught up in minis now that I haven't looked at any expansion after aether revolt. Also I am too new to the game to speak of the new mechanics or synergies.

I will say that as of aether revolt I switched my 2 main decks from green/red and green/black to green/white with a splash of blue to green/white splash of black. The white revolt cards, on top of white rally, mixed with green in general just work for me. I guess I'll look into the new expansion and see if the mechanics change my style again but from your intro post I don't think it will. Morph reminds me of the moon phase thing mechanic from the eldritch moon and I didn't play with that mechanic too much.. The hardest grasping point for me and synergies is I hate relying on chance to get the cards in my hand. Morph sounds very situational and would require just the right conditions to use and that isn't my cup of tea. Not when I can flood the board with cards that provide 1 of 3 different effects that all aid me in my goal. Why play with chance if I can just play with a deck that has a consistent if not random strategy? (Aside from the fact that I bet you MTG vets and pros could see my strat right away and n00bstomp me to oblivion and back)

that's just the $0.02 of a man who is fairly new to the game and hasn't even checked the new release due to all my hobby money going into this new shiny painting hobby.

• Like 2

After Khans of Tarkir faded out, I stopped playing and picked up again when Aether Revolt released. Drafting is so much fun. Forgot how addicting it is. Throughout the Aether Revolt block, I've had a steady streak of 2-1 with occasional 3-0. Selling off the sealed packs and money cards to pay for the next draft. I'm currently at net value of $200 something from drafts.

Excited about Amonkhet. Went to the prerelease and had a ton of fun. Opened an invocation which paid for the prerelease and the next draft. Shown below is the red/black aggro deck that I went 2-1 with. Went heavy creature hate with the notion that people were new to the set and would play mostly creature decks. Tuition was good, lost third match on the third round due to mana flooding. Sniff sniff.

20170422_201711.thumb.jpg.330f1d106acfd8976f648052671c20bf.jpg

If anyone is planning to participate in drafts, I can offer some quick tips and some cards to look for while drafting.

• Like 5

Me and my old AD&D buddies got into Magic when we wanted to take a break from our campaign back around '95. We played MTG for a few years before we took a break and sadly never got together as a group again.

A couple years ago I introduced my young niece and nephew to Magic, they both took to it right away.

Those are the only times I've played in recent years.

I'm not up on all the changes or new stuff but I still have all my cards and we just play for fun so it's all good.

• Like 3

I played Magic when the first installment came out.

After a year or two I stopped.

A few years after that I sold my collection, making good money since I had a Demonic Tutor, Shivan Dragons etc etc....

I also remember I bought some metal minis then that were Magic The Gathering models.

Painted them and later sold off the armies they were in.

• Like 3

I bought in with Alpha...I sold most things in '95 or so and cleared my debts, since I expected the bubble to pop any time.  I sold my last two or three Moxes a year or so later to purchase the molds for these 16th century figures:

AAA002.thumb.jpg.7c0ed1cbc47b48d2d58dc42ca94935a1.jpg

Since then, I've kept one solid Alpha deck for fun (no power 9--debts cleared...), and my sons, now 23 and 26 (who play regularly) assist me in maintaining one Commander deck, also just for fun.  

• Like 7

One of the key differences between my Unlimited playing self and now is that I was a waiter then so daily had cash in hand... where now I get paid once a month.  My character and discipline have also improved, but that one single thing was my downfall back then.  I also lived rent free in a student center with no utilities.  I bought a lot of Magic back then.  My only main payment was the downpayment for the Jewelers for my wife's ring.  Now I pay my bills first and then set aside food and maintenance money and then the ReaperCon set and then I can play some with what is leftover... and I have a birthday SoonTM so that might help.  I also don't feel compelled to "have it all" anymore.

I am looking forward to playing again though...

• Like 5

I played from Invasion through Fifth Dawn then got out for a while, even sold off most of my cards (huge mistake seeing what's happened with Mirrodin block prices). Picked it back up around Shadows Over Innistrad and have been dabbling with competitive play (mostly Standard) and draft since then. I'm very excited to draft Amonkhet, it looks like a really fun set.

• Like 6

I've been playing since Revised/Ice Age and had a ton of cards and am down to a handful of decks and some bunches of random commons/uncommons. 

My gaming gang and I pull them out every few months for something different.  I rarely buy new cards but just print off whatever I want and use sleeves.  Keeps the costs down, especially since they're going to rot in a box for several months again after.  It's fun to build a new deck and not have to worry about expensive cards (or not as I've built some very decent decks on cheap cards) try it out, tweak it with input from the guys, and then try it again.  I do find the rules have become, due to the competitive nature, a little too granular, but i also recognize the need for it in competitive play... 

• Like 4

I need to pull out MrBoot's old Sliver deck again sometime. It's a lot of fun to play, even for a n00b like me. ^_^

My only Magic experience comes from extensively playing a copy-cat game on Kongregate called Elements, and lately getting into the free online Magic Duels game on Steam which I've been enjoying immensely. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

I thought I would take my old cards and see what I could do for a Commander deck last night.  Ha ha ha... well.. that was fun.  Turns out, I only have 3 Legendaries available to be a commander... two with only a single ability.  So... maybe I won't do that quite yet...  I did go back through the Commander Zone episode 151 for a good baseline on target numbers for constructing it so now have good notes when the time comes for me to actually build a Commander deck.  Might need to get that sorted before coming to ReaperCon just in case... even if it is a bad deck it will still be fun.

• Like 3

I've been out of the loop for so long I've never even heard the term commander deck.

• Like 3

Oh, friendly MtG at Reapercon would be fun! ^_^ I have a very basic black deck I got for free at PAX last year...maybe I'll try mixing some blue into it and seeing what I get. (I know very little about how to build an effective deck lol)

Huzzah!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I've been out of the loop for so long I've never even heard the term commander deck.

Commander format in MTG boils down to the following:

1) One "Legendary" creature type or Planeswalker is designated as the leader of your deck

2) Each card must have a different name, except basic lands

3) Cards in your deck (applies to lands as well) must consist of the color symbols on your Commander whether in the Commander's casting cost or the Commander's rules text.

3a) Example: Glissa, the Traitor costs Black / Green / Green, thus your deck can consist of black cards, green cards, or black/green gold cards. But you cannot run Black/White gold cards.

3b) Example: Memnarch costs 7 colorless mana, but its rules text has abilities that cost blue mana, thus your cards can consist of blue cards.

3c) Lands must match your commander colors, so a black/green commander cannot run lands that can produce red, blue, or white.

3d) Cards with abilities that contain colors outside of your commander are illegal in the deck

4) Deck consists of 100 cards, including your Legendary

5) Players start with 40 life

6) Commanders start in the command zone

6a) Commanders can be summoned from the command zone and placed there when destroyed, exiled, or bounced (to hand or library)

6b) Commanders cost additional 2 colorless man each time they are summoned from the command zone

6c) If a commander deals 21 or more damage over a course of a game to an opponent, that opponent loses

There's probably more rules, but that's the gist.

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Oh, friendly MtG at Reapercon would be fun! ^_^ I have a very basic black deck I got for free at PAX last year...maybe I'll try mixing some blue into it and seeing what I get. (I know very little about how to build an effective deck lol)

Huzzah!

I would play. :D

• Like 4