pcktlnt

Magic: the Gathering

102 posts in this topic

When Ice Age came out it added quite a bit of minotaurs & other cow-like artwork. Since we only played group/friendly Magic, I made a USDA Approved Beef Deck. I even had stickers from the meat dept at work, that said "USDA Approved" on it!

I remember having a flying, trampling +10/+10 Hurloon Minotaur attacking someone in that game.  Also since we didn't use legal rules & such. I also had/used a 10 card Auroch Stampede on a last attack maneuver. It was fun counting up the numbers for the damage, of course I left myself wide open & was eliminated the very next round but eh what the hey. Funny part about that was I still had like 5 or 6 more of them in there.:lol:  

Funny, the other day the local "newspaper" had a article in regards to that game store in the other town. They mentioned "Majestic the Gathering" as their top tournament card game right now. Wow, I've been out of for so long, they've change the name.............<_<

What a fantastic piece of journalism that paper is...:lol:

5 people like this

lol. Majestic the Gathering. If you want to upgrade your beef deck. Minotaurs have come back around in Amonkhet. And boy are they burly beaters. O__O

3 people like this

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Commander format in MTG boils down to the following:

1) One "Legendary" creature type or Planeswalker is designated as the leader of your deck

2) Each card must have a different name, except basic lands

3) Cards in your deck (applies to lands as well) must consist of the color symbols on your Commander whether in the Commander's casting cost or the Commander's rules text.

3a) Example: Glissa, the Traitor costs Black / Green / Green, thus your deck can consist of black cards, green cards, or black/green gold cards. But you cannot run Black/White gold cards.

3b) Example: Memnarch costs 7 colorless mana, but its rules text has abilities that cost blue mana, thus your cards can consist of blue cards.

3c) Lands must match your commander colors, so a black/green commander cannot run lands that can produce red, blue, or white.

3d) Cards with abilities that contain colors outside of your commander are illegal in the deck

4) Deck consists of 100 cards, including your Legendary

5) Players start with 40 life

6) Commanders start in the command zone

6a) Commanders can be summoned from the command zone and placed there when destroyed, exiled, or bounced (to hand or library)

6b) Commanders cost additional 2 colorless man each time they are summoned from the command zone

6c) If a commander deals 21 or more damage over a course of a game to an opponent, that opponent loses

There's probably more rules, but that's the gist.

This may come across as flippant, I certainly don't mean it to be, but what's the appeal in this format? 

@Darsc Zacal

The Commander format is meant to be a casual, entry level, and multiplayer format for MtG. Before WotC dubbed it Commander (Magic Online), it was known as Highlander or Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH). It's based off the dragon wars between the 5 elder dragons: Nicol Bolas, Chromium Rhuell, Arcades Sabboth, Pallada-Mors, and Vaevictis Asmadi. Since Nicol Bolas was the only survivor, thus, it was dubbed EDH due to Highlander's famous saying "There can only be one". From what I know, the format is slow enough that players can drop fatties and bombs that normally would not survive. When I participated in EDH, I used cards with creepy/disturbing art just for fun. Cards like Macabre Waltz, Pulling Teeth, Plagarize, etc.

Outside of drafting, my main focus is the Pauper format. This format only allows cards of Common rarity. Which means, my deck at most costs $4.00 to build. With exception to powerful commons which are used in Legacy, Vintage, or Modern. ^__^

3 people like this

3 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Outside of drafting, my main focus is the Pauper format. This format only allows cards of Common rarity. Which means, my deck at most costs $4.00 to build.

:lol: This sounds like my kind of deck; I'm purely in it for the fun, not at all interested in the competition aspect.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

Yeah, there are so many officially recognized formats now.  Crazy.  I will likely bring several decks so that in between other things it is easy to pull it out and play, or, like the time I scheduled a Sophie Says at 3 pm ... 

The main reason I was interested in also playing Commander (don't get me wrong, Standard / Modern still have strong appeal) is because it is a codified way to play multiplayer games.  I am not sure how many nights I stayed up playing in college with 100+ card decks playing 4-6 people at a time.  We always had some new rule we were trying to balance it out more.  After watching four player commander games, I can see that strategies can vary even more than I realized.

4 people like this

24 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Yeah, there are so many officially recognized formats now.  Crazy.  I will likely bring several decks so that in between other things it is easy to pull it out and play, or, like the time I scheduled a Sophie Says at 3 pm ... 

The main reason I was interested in also playing Commander (don't get me wrong, Standard / Modern still have strong appeal) is because it is a codified way to play multiplayer games.  I am not sure how many nights I stayed up playing in college with 100+ card decks playing 4-6 people at a time.  We always had some new rule we were trying to balance it out more.  After watching four player commander games, I can see that strategies can vary even more than I realized.

Be careful of cards that say each opponent or each player.  You may be fair, but you also become the target for all players... yea, not speaking from experience.  Ah, miss my mill and life gain deck. Haha

3 people like this

My favorite (and coincidently most hated; by my opponents) was my mill/land destruction/counter deck.  I know nothing about current cards and formats though.

2 people like this

I'm thinking I need to figure out what sets had the poison counters... muwhaaahaaa

Mill / Wheel decks can be fun, but you have to do a lot of stuff to get it to work.  Especially if you have limits on how many Millstones you can have in the deck. Though after some recent Magic Duels, I'm thinking I need to find Treant cards and Nissa's cards that throw lots of land onto the battlefield at once.  Ahhh... soooo many options....

5 people like this

10 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

lol. Majestic the Gathering. If you want to upgrade your beef deck. Minotaurs have come back around in Amonkhet. And boy are they burly beaters. O__O

Oh I'm out of the game. Have been since Mirage. I did see some squirrel based cards on ebay the other day I may get just for "sheeps & giggles"

3 people like this

commander is fun because you can play with almost any card ever made, so you can do crazy cool stuff.  your limited by numbers (1 only) so its not horrible, and you can build really cool themed decks.  Its also fun because its casual and as i stated before, competitive magic kind of awful.

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Grayfax said:

I'm thinking I need to figure out what sets had the poison counters... muwhaaahaaa

Mill / Wheel decks can be fun, but you have to do a lot of stuff to get it to work.  Especially if you have limits on how many Millstones you can have in the deck. Though after some recent Magic Duels, I'm thinking I need to find Treant cards and Nissa's cards that throw lots of land onto the battlefield at once.  Ahhh... soooo many options....

Nissa cards are why i run green as my main color, with a good hand i can have 5 mana by turn 3, and with white having rally in a lot of low mana common cards i could potentially flood the field with buffed creatures  (assuming i dont get mana flooded, but with green,  never a shortage of mana)

3 people like this

Oh, I used to be really into MTG back in the Alpha days on... but then petered out into other games.  

I've still got a lot of cards lying around, along with some Commander decks I picked up cheap but haven't had the chance to play.

1 person likes this

I participated in an afternoon draft and ended up in blue/green. I was trying for a ramp deck, but could not obtain necessary ramping cards. Due to an attacking error, I went 2-1 instead of 3-0. Hidden behind spoiler.

3rd match, 3rd round: Opponent has brought me down to 1 HP and I ended up stabilizing the board for 4-5 rounds before flooding the field with my creatures.

My turn: Swing with 3/2 flier, opponent = 17 hp

Opponent's turn: Opponent attacks and I kill off some creatures and he summons more.

My turn: Swing with 3/2 flier, opponent = 14 hp

Opponent's turn: Opponent attacks again and I kill off some creatures, he miscalculates mana and ends up with one creature instead of two

My turn: Swing with 3/2 flier (I forgot to attack with my 4/4 flier), opponent = 11 hp (should be 7 hp)

Opponent begins to stabilize

My turn: Should have had the match at this point by swinging with both fliers (7 points of damage). Le sigh.

Came out with three cards worth a combined total of $16 and opened a rare worth $8. Pays for two drafts.

590fec21c2f6b_mtgdraft.thumb.jpg.b2acd629f69723c6ccc95cff5c5d530e.jpg

5 people like this