pcktlnt

Magic: the Gathering

102 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

You seem to be speaking words, I I don't understand their meaning.

I stopped playing Magic and going to tournaments back in the mid to late 90s so I think the problem is on my and.

Haha. ^.^

Ramp - Cards that provide an alternate means for mana to play cards earlier (Mana Vault, Llanowar Elves, etc.)

Bounce - Return permanent from play back to owner's hand or library (Unsummon, Boomerang, etc.)

Embalm - Activated ability - Exile creature from the game and place a token copy on the battlefield (token is the same as the creature but has zombie and is white)

Eternalize - Activated ability - Exile creature from the game and place a 4/4 token copy on the battlefield (token is the same as the creature but has zombie and is black)

Exert - Replacement text - Creature does not untap during the next untap phase but gain extra abilities

Cycling - Pay mana to discard the card and draw a card. Some cards have extra abilities when cycling.

New cards that are power houses in draft:

River Hoopoe = UG for 1/3 flying. Pay 3UG: Gain 2 life and draw a card

Rhonas's Stalwart = 1G for 2/2. Exert Rhonas's Stalwart to gain +1/+1 and cannot be blocked by creatures of power 2 or less.

Shefet Monitor = 5G for 6/5. Cycling = 3G, you may search your library for a basic land or desert card and place on the battlefield (untapped). Shuffle your library. Draw a card.

I don't think I'm helping. XD

2 people like this

Yeah... there are some things that are new... and new ways of talking about them... but there are also some things that have gone away that are coming back.

2 people like this

This was the other deck I ran during the weekend drafts. 10 creatures and 14 removal spells. The complete opposite of what one should draft. I went 2-1. Almost had the last game but ended up missing two land drops and not having the right cost removals at the time. Fun for me, pissed off my opponents, entertained the spectators. ^.^

"Ooooh, turn 6 and there's are no creatures? "

"It's turn 15? He's just pinging you to death??" (Opponent removed my big creatures and left me a 1/1 rat...)

"Taking bets pcktlnt will draw removal against the sphinx"

Struggle is so good. MVP card against creature with large health pools.

20170726_203731.thumb.jpg.1d5e3661c67063a9e8a4ec2757e72d95.jpg

2 people like this

Looks like fun.  Surprised you managed to cobble together enough red and black in a draft to go for it.

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Looks like fun.  Surprised you managed to cobble together enough red and black in a draft to go for it.

Agreed! My table didn't seem to value removable as much as I did. That or I took enough red and black removal to force them into other colors.

3 people like this

After finding out we had a LGS for the first time in many years, I took my student worker downtown and entered into a Standard Showdown tonight. Three rounds of Swiss, no cut ten players. Proceeded to go 0-2 three times in a row. Go me! As I still primarily have Amonkhet cards, it was to be expected. Still got a Showdown pack. 

Never played against total strangers before, so that was interesting.

3 people like this

I asked a friend of mine to help me make a deck from a bunch of cards a good friend of mine sent me (you know who you are! ^_^ ), and since he only plays Commander, he helped (well, more like he made it and I just sort of observed :rolleyes:) me make a Blue/Black Commander deck. It's sort of a mill, but since I haven't had a chance to play it yet (need to acquire a commander card) I'm not sure how it will run.

I popped into my FLTCGS (friendly local trading card game store) to see if they had any blue/black commanders for sale (they didn't), but when I mentioned which one I was looking for, and that I was brand new to the Commander format, I swear the ears of the four guys in the store physically perked up. :lol: 

What with one thing and another, I ended up playing a couple of Commander games with these guys, though I borrowed a blue/green deck from one of them since mine didn't have a commander. It was...quite the experience. :blink: I've basically only played the online version, which is not only 1 vs. 1 but I can take my time a bit and I'm able to read all of the cards and any special abilities can be hovered over for an explanation. So my first game was rather "deer in the headlights" and I didn't even get to do much because I was a bit mana starved and a couple board wipes happened. The second game was much better, until one guy played a card (I didn't see what) that took away half of everyone's remaining life, converted it to mana, then used that to fuel an EPIC FIREBALL and killed every one of us. It was such a ludicrously effective move I wasn't even mad. I boggled a little then had to laugh.

Anyways. I think I definitely prefer the traditional format. It was WAY too hard to keep track of who had what out, and come up with ways to counter/deal with things, plus they were all experienced players so they went kind of fast and tended to use shorthand phrases for things (it took me a bit to realize when they "pinged" something they meant "attack, for example). It was still enjoyable, though, despite the mild frustration I felt at being the new kid, lol.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

3 people like this

I'd love to get into Magic, but it's just such a money pit.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

I'd love to get into Magic, but it's just such a money pit.

Yeah, in was not pretty big back in the day.  I've been avoiding getting back in.  Plus all my monies are going to minis now.

1 person likes this

I'm at a Ixalan pre-release. Hurray! Now, we're just waiting for it to start.

Dinosaurs, pirates, vampires, and merfolk. ^__^ 

--- Edit ---

Hmm. The quality of the prerelease box has gone down compared to the previous set. But, I want a gorgon pirate miniature.

20170923_163406.thumb.jpg.d991702aa19e64e2dc2e49f804275a90.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
3 people like this

Good luck! I'll be going tomorrow. Shame about the box, seems like a missed opportunity for a treasure chest.

2 people like this

There were 120+ players. And it was swiss style. I went 3-0 with Green splash red/white dinosaurs. My pack had 7 creature removal spells across 5 colors. So, I had to start with early aggro creatures and tricks until I could throw down with the 4+/4+ tramplers. Enrage is such a fun ability. Block my creature! Deal damage to it! I dare ya! I had an assortment of them that fetched lands, drew cards, dealt direct damage to the opponent, or netted me life.

I didn't get a chance to play against anyone with raid or explore (that's a neat mechanic).

5 people like this